Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2023, 05:42 PM

1,197 posts, read 527,858 times

Advertisements

I'm wondering if anyone has some great gravy or saucy recipes.

I am old (Boomer) and my mom was a GREAT cook. Unfortunately, she did now want me for an apprentice, so I did not learn any of her recipes.

I used to love whatever meat and potatoes thing she would make because it always featured delicious gravy. She made the BEST gravies.

I would love to be able to reproduce a chicken fried steak with gravy recipe or something like that or any other recipes that feature gravies.

She also made stew and again the gravy was spectacular. I can make stew in the Instant Pot, but I still don't know how to make the gravy.

Thanks for any recipes, hints, or tricks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2023, 01:58 PM

19,743 posts, read 22,635,943 times
We use 3 gravys.

Red eye gravy- Fry country ham or ham steak in a skillet. Ham should have fat on it and bits left over. Cook and remove ham leaving those bits in the pan. Add strong black coffee a bit at a time until it thickens a bit. This is our 'breakfast gravy'.

Country fried white gravy- We use a recipe from Southern Living. Small ingredients list and we don't eat this often.

Our preferred gravy is Hunter (or Jaeger) gravy- It's more complicated but it is a taste sensation. We add mushrooms, capers, yellow onions. Excellent over venison and schnitzels. It comes from an old German cookbook that was my mother-in-laws. She is Bavarian. Came to the states in the 1960's. If you want the recipe I can photo it and PM you or post it here.

Old 10-03-2023, 03:18 PM

4,384 posts, read 4,381,108 times
There are more than enough YouTube videos showing how to make gravy. Spend a half hour watching and then go try it yourself.
Sometimes gravy is tricky when you are learning to make it but learn from your mistakes and you'll get good at it fairly fast.

Old 10-03-2023, 07:47 PM

88,512 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by considerforamoment View Post
I'm wondering if anyone has some great gravy or saucy recipes.

I am old (Boomer) and my mom was a GREAT cook. Unfortunately, she did now want me for an apprentice, so I did not learn any of her recipes.

I used to love whatever meat and potatoes thing she would make because it always featured delicious gravy. She made the BEST gravies.

I would love to be able to reproduce a chicken fried steak with gravy recipe or something like that or any other recipes that feature gravies.

She also made stew and again the gravy was spectacular. I can make stew in the Instant Pot, but I still don't know how to make the gravy.

Thanks for any recipes, hints, or tricks.
When I made stew, I cooked the meat in beef broth, one of those 8 oz cans of tomato sauce, some worcestershire sauce, freshly ground pepper, and garlic. I used to thicken it with flour but you don't have to if you don't care about a thick gravy.

Old 10-04-2023, 09:19 AM

12,038 posts, read 8,403,014 times
For our tastes the best gravy comes from meat which has been slowly browned in a heavy pan with a little lard. It can be time consuming but the best results are produced by cooling the broth and removing most but not all of the fat then returning it to the stove to mix with a roux of flour, milk or broth and fat, maybe some butter. Season it and stir until it thickens. Don't boil or overcook or it will separate.

My MIL made a good chicken gravy by browning her chicken coated with a little flour and putting it in a roaster. Then she'd pour a little milk over it and roast it in the oven. Before serving she'd add additional chicken broth to the pan drippings and thicken it with flour.

It made such tender juicy chicken and a lot of gravy.

Old 10-04-2023, 09:25 AM

45,332 posts, read 60,500,026 times
My mother was more than willing to share recipes with Mrs. NBP when we first got married. Problem was, she'd always leave out at least one ingredient or step so they never really worked out. Page after page of recipes that are essentially worthless.

My mother was a difficult woman.

Old 10-04-2023, 09:45 AM

19,743 posts, read 22,635,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
My mother was more than willing to share recipes with Mrs. NBP when we first got married. Problem was, she'd always leave out at least one ingredient or step so they never really worked out. Page after page of recipes that are essentially worthless.

My mother was a difficult woman.
I had one of those. My dad on the other hand shared all of his family recipes. Seeing he was from North Carolina and my mother from Ohio- his recipes were far better, lol.

Old 10-04-2023, 10:13 AM

130,047 posts, read 12,072,794 times
I like Bisto gravy powder. I will coat some stew meat in it. Or sometimes I will just add some cornflour or wonder-flour to thicken the stew juices. If I have a roast with juices, I will add some vegetable cooking water ( carrot is great) & then add the thickener. Play around & find the combination you like.

Old 10-04-2023, 11:53 AM

23,589 posts, read 70,358,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
For our tastes the best gravy comes from meat which has been slowly browned in a heavy pan with a little lard. It can be time consuming but the best results are produced by cooling the broth and removing most but not all of the fat then returning it to the stove to mix with a roux of flour, milk or broth and fat, maybe some butter. Season it and stir until it thickens. Don't boil or overcook or it will separate.

My MIL made a good chicken gravy by browning her chicken coated with a little flour and putting it in a roaster. Then she'd pour a little milk over it and roast it in the oven. Before serving she'd add additional chicken broth to the pan drippings and thicken it with flour.

It made such tender juicy chicken and a lot of gravy.
I often wonder if gravy was so popular in the south because it served multiple purposes. It is one of the best ways of removing fond from cast iron without completely ruining the coating on the pan, it is frugal with fat and scraps that would otherwise be tossed out, and it helped satiate hungry men doing hard physical labor.

The cast iron does add flavor, as inevitably there are carbonized buts of food from previous meals that work their way into the gravy.

Old 10-04-2023, 12:16 PM

50,340 posts, read 63,906,560 times
Gravy is fat, flour or corn starch and liquid. The flavor changes depending on the meat you brown first.

Heres one for you:
Sausage Gravy for biscuits

1# fatty breakfast sausage (I use Jimmy Dean Original because it has enough fat)
3T flour
3 cups whole milk

Brown sausage, low and slow, until there is a good sludge of fond in the bottom of the pan. This is very important, you can’t rush it.
Stir in flour until absorbed.
Add cold milk and stir until thickened.
It will be a bit thin at first but will continue to thicken as it rests.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes