Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2009, 09:46 PM

29 posts, read 82,431 times

Advertisements

One banana
A bag of frozen organic blue/rasp/black/strawberries
2 cups of organic spinach
Coconut water (amount depends on if you want it thick or watery)

YUM!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2009, 03:03 AM

3,977 posts, read 7,693,361 times
mine is simple:

1/2 sliced frozen banana
a few strawberries-sliced
light vanilla soymilk, or skim add slowly to get desired consistency. Usually about a cup.

blend until smooth!! you can always mix up your fruit combos, try blueberries and banana, or mixed berries and banana, etc.

I find using frozen fruit is quicker and easier than using ice and makes for a nice, thick smoothie! you can peel whole bananas and place them in a ziploc bag for future use., let them thaw a little then slice them into the blender.

you can even add 1/4 - 1/2 cup of plain greek yogurt to give it a wonderful smooth texture!

Enjoy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proud Rowlett Owner View Post
Details, I need details. I need a healthier choice in the morning. Any idea's, recipes, shout outs??? Anything!

Old 07-11-2009, 07:42 AM

18,124 posts, read 11,756,270 times
I like the adult version, something new for a party.

For me, the smoothies would be for late night snacks - I'm on high calorie intake, too thin, need to put on weight. I was eating the choc or vanilla ice cream with warm fudge topping and now I'm tired of it.

Thanks again for your suggestions.

Old 08-09-2009, 12:11 AM

2 posts, read 5,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2goldens View Post
Can I use vanilla ice cream as substitute for plain yogurt?
Milk instead of OJ?

I'm on high calorie intake.

Last night a dear friend, my sign lang instructor gave me a blender as a gift to help me with weight gain. She insist smoothies is not only healthier than donuts but easier to have on hand;
frozen strawberries, bananas (freeze the ripe ones) and cheaper.

Any ideas to share?
You can use anything you want in your smoothie, after all, its yours! Ice cream really isn't going to help you gain quality weight with some fruit. You need to be getting high quality protein, a minimum of 25-35 grams, every meal. Especially at breakfast!

So sure, add your ice cream, but also get some whey protein or a good meal replacement mix in there, too. Add enough to get you to at least 25 grams of protein. You can add a tablespoon of natural peanut butter if you like. That increases calories and healthy fats that you need. But skip the Skippy and get a natural peanut butter that doesn't have refined sugars added. You need calories, but not a bunch of refined sugar - that works against quality weight gain.

Lastly, plan on eating more than 3 meals a day, more like 5-6. Last one should be a short time before bedtime and easy to digest. Smoothies are a great way to get your meal count up quickly.

Old 09-21-2009, 02:23 PM

60 posts, read 188,655 times
Default Peach smoothie

I was introduced to this one at a small health spa I used to attend:

Peach Smoothie

(I don't use measurements, just approximates... sorry)

Large handful of fresh or frozen peach slices ( frozen gives it a nice, cold, icy touch!)
about 1/2 apple juice
1/2 banana, sliced

Blend until about 80% liquid on high speed.

Then add a big dollop of honey ( I use squeeze bottle, so I let it squeeze awhile - probably close to a tablespoon. Add more or less to your liking)
Nutmeg and Cinnamon ( Shake in some Nutmeg and Cinnamon- again to taste... I use about 3 times as much Nutmeg as Cinnamon, but then, I LOVE the flavor of nutmeg)

Finish blending until completely liquid, with no chunks left.

ENJOY!

I've also used this same recipe with success with other fruits. Sometimes I add a couple of strawberries to the peaches. It's also good with mixed berries instead of peaches.

Old 09-22-2009, 11:33 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,360,429 times
I used to do some juicing as well....

I loved mixing fruits and veggies together. Some strange sounding combinations made for some really good juice. I think I am going to get back into that. I remember feeling a lot better when I was juicing.

Old 09-23-2009, 08:58 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,360,429 times
OK, this thread inspired me so I just went to the store and am now armed with a frozen berry mix, some bananas, lite yogurt and OJ.

Old 01-30-2010, 05:21 PM

3,085 posts, read 7,249,829 times
Question Is it easy to make a Planet Smoothie at home?

Their ingredients seem fairly easy to obtain. Can I make these smoothies at home and save my 5 dollars?

These smoothies are so delicious. The Last Mango is my favorite.

Whats your favorite?

Old 01-30-2010, 05:26 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,832,592 times
How to Make the Yummiest Home-made Smoothies | eHow.com

Cooks.com - Recipes - Homemade Smoothies

Homemade Smoothies Blender Recipe

Old 01-31-2010, 12:50 PM

3,085 posts, read 7,249,829 times

Dont know if my 8 Speed Proctor Silex will chop up the ice but i'll give it a try.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes