Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2010, 11:57 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,036,872 times

Advertisements

Groundnut Stew (aka Peanut Butter Chicken)

My husband saw this recipe in a newspaper and was dying for it. I’m not a great fan of peanut butter so I wasn’t dying for it. I made it for him. Go figure – now I love peanut butter.

What you’ll need:
2 tbsp. corn, canola, or other neutral oil
2 lbs. chicken legs (don’t try this with breasts or thighs – it won’t work well – but I do take the skin off the legs)
2 medium onions, peeled and chopped (I use three onions)
1 tsp. salt, plus more to taste
1/3 tsp. ground pepper, plus more to taste
4 cups chicken stock
1/4 cup peanut butter (I use more! – go by your own taste)
1 tsp. red pepper flakes (I use a bit more; I like it spicy)

What to do:

Heat the oil in a large casserole over medium-high heat. I used to use a high pot, then I switched to a Dutch oven – the high pot works best for some reason.

Add the chicken legs and brown on all sides, about 10 minutes. Work in batches if necessary (it is); do not overcrowd.

Remove the chicken and pour out all but 2 tbsp. of fat. (I don’t remove any of the fat – there doesn’t seem to be much; maybe because I take the skin off the chicken legs).

Add the onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until browned and softened, about 5 minutes.

Return the chicken to the pan and season with salt and pepper.

Add the chicken stock and bring to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer uncovered until the chicken falls off the bone, about 1 hour.

Stir in the peanut butter and red pepper flakes until there are no chunks of peanut butter left.

Add more salt and pepper to taste, if you wish.

Note: If the sauce is too thin for your liking, thicken it up with some cornstarch.

Serve over mashed potatoes or rice. I serve this over brown rice, along with some steamed broccoli. Delish!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes