Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2010, 07:49 AM

1,561 posts, read 2,205,322 times

Advertisements

It strikes me from what I read that many people have very different opinions on saying "I am sorry."

In my view "I am sorry" is to be used when you have upset someone from your words or behavior. It is not to be qualified most times with insincerity such as "I am sorry you feel that way" since it might be telling the other person that if they did not feel that way, they would not need an apology. Thus putting the blame on the other person for making you apologize to them. Politicians are famous for the fake apology "I am sorry that some people might feel I did anything wrong." It is an apology without contrition or desire to change what they have done.

However, I see some people feel anytime a person needs to apologize it is a waste of time. You do not believe them. They are without redemption. Only pitiful,weak, and lying individuals use sorry to escape their just retribution for bad actions/words. These type only result to the apology to deflect with no desire to change, or at least that is how a person that does not accept "I am sorry" believes.

Now I will admit for my view there are times for "I am sorry you feel that way", it is a degree of Social lubricant that can paste over minor irritations. It allows both people to save face. That is if both persons are not really upset.

What do others think about using an apology? When should you resort to it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2010, 07:53 AM

7,454 posts, read 13,428,627 times
You wouldn't like it in Japan.

Old 06-17-2010, 07:54 AM

10,172 posts, read 20,784,725 times
An apology should come from the heart. If I have to ask for one or demand one, chances are that person probably isn't being sincere in their apology. They are doing it in order to appease me and they might not feel as though they did anything wrong. I don't know, I think apologies are overrated. If you know someone well enough you'll know if they regret something they did or said. The words aren't always necessary.

Old 06-17-2010, 07:56 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,737,789 times
"Sorry" just means that you are expressing regret over some event. It is not necessarily an apology or an admission of fault.

Old 06-17-2010, 08:08 AM

I see three very differing opinions already. Something that needs to be taken in account with dealing with someone. Thanks for the input.

Old 06-17-2010, 08:09 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,737,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattB4 View Post
I see three very differing opinions already. Something that needs to be taken in account with dealing with someone. Thanks for the input.

I have a hard time labeling that an opinion. It looks to me like a fact, but I reckon some people might consider the dictionary an "opinion".

sor·ry

1. feeling regret, compunction, sympathy, pity, etc.: to be sorry to leave one's friends; to be sorry for a remark; to be sorry for someone in trouble.

2. regrettable or deplorable; unfortunate; tragic: a sorry situation; to come to a sorry end.

3. sorrowful, grieved, or sad: Was she sorry when her brother died?

4. associated with sorrow; suggestive of grief or suffering; melancholy; dismal.

5. wretched, poor, useless, or pitiful: a sorry horse.

6. (used interjectionally as a conventional apology or expression of regret): Sorry, you're misinformed. Did I bump you? Sorry.

my favorite was always #6. my grandma would refer to someone's "triflin sorry ass"

Old 06-17-2010, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
I have a hard time labeling that an opinion. It looks to me like a fact.
It is an opinion though. I do not see sorry as just a regret. It is an apology. You see it different, thus it is an opinion. Incidentally dictionary definitions are also an opinion though of an informed sort.

I think you mean #5 for the use of Granma.

Old 06-17-2010, 08:18 AM

548 posts, read 1,479,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave nz View Post
You wouldn't like it in Japan.
So true. There was a woman who apologized to me at least 3 times every time I talked to her, usually for no reason.

I do not like, "I'm sorry you feel that way." No one (at least that I know of) likes an insincere apology.

Old 06-17-2010, 08:19 AM

7,005 posts, read 21,338,885 times
I am sorry I didn't read the rest of your post.

Old 06-17-2010, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Cat View Post
I am sorry I didn't read the rest of your post.
Accepted. I am not sure while I started the Thread other than mild intellectual curiosity. If it goes nowhere than *shrug* oh well
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships