Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2010, 06:43 PM

1,994 posts, read 3,211,753 times

Advertisements

While out and about on the weekend I noticed that a lot of men with children seem to have a very tired "just kill me now" look about them when their kid is misbehaving.

It made me wonder if men would even have kids if it weren't for the wishes of their wife/partner?

Guys, do you have the fatherly instinct or did you have children because you thought it was the natural relationship progression, not because you actually wanted them?

Old 06-27-2010, 06:48 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,479,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by *VaNiLlaGoRrilLa* View Post
While out and about on the weekend I noticed that a lot of men with children seem to have a very tired "just kill me now" look about them when their kid is misbehaving.

It made me wonder if men would even have kids if it weren't for the wishes of their wife/partner?

Guys, do you have the fatherly instinct or did you have children because you thought it was the natural relationship progression, not because you actually wanted them?
I'm not a man but I know quite a few that consider being a Dad one of life's greatest experiences and something they didn't want to miss. Of course parents--Moms and Dads get tired and there are many other reasons for this other than kids.

Old 06-27-2010, 06:51 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,298,248 times
Some do

Some don't

Old 06-27-2010, 06:55 PM

5,648 posts, read 8,054,362 times
Quote:

Yes, I'm one of them. I would never have kids to please someone, not even my spouse. At the same time, I would never marry someone who wants or has kids.

Old 06-27-2010, 06:57 PM

2,732 posts, read 3,584,277 times
Quote:

I know, I see that too... My take (and my mother agrees with me) is that young couples today are raising children all by themselves with no help from any immediate family.

They have no help because in today's world people often move away from their immediate family all for the sake of a job. So what happens is, young couples are stuck doing EVERYTHING and patience can quickly run out.

Old 06-27-2010, 07:00 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,264,809 times
My guy says he doesn't want them.

My ex said he didn't want them, either, but then a few years later he did.

As long as people are honest with themselves and the people they date, it's all good. The trouble starts when people change their minds a few years into a marriage, or come to terms with what they have been denying about themselves to themselves and their partners.

Old 06-27-2010, 07:01 PM

9,444 posts, read 17,378,669 times
Quote:

When my child was a toddler and misbehaving in public, I also had a "kill me now" look on my face. This comes regardless of gender. Having kids can be very challenging, especially if they are getting on your last nerve.

I think people in general underestimate how much work raising a child is. If we are talking about men specifically, some of them can feel really trapped by fatherhood, especially those who are used to come and go as they please...but I think some women feel that way too!

I can tell for myself, my husband enjoyes my son way more now than when he was an infant/toddler.

Old 06-27-2010, 07:02 PM

9,444 posts, read 17,378,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calicali01 View Post
I know, I see that too... My take (and my mother agrees with me) is that young couples today are raising children all by themselves with no help from any immediate family.

They have no help because in today's world people often move away from their immediate family all for the sake of a job. So what happens is, young couples are stuck doing EVERYTHING and patience can quickly run out.
That's a very good point. I bet if I had more help from my immediate family, we would have a much easier time parenting.

Old 06-27-2010, 07:09 PM

2,942 posts, read 6,005,661 times
Fatherly instinct here. Yes, it's alot of work, and yes, sometimes you say in your head "I'm at my wits end" - it all evaporates as soon as your child cracks that smile or laughs in their own little way, or does something new they've never done before.

You should not be having kids because "it's a natural progression" - you either want them or you don't. Kids are a 24/7 proposition - if you're not ready for it, then don't have them, it's not like you can return them back to the store and claim your deposit.

Old 06-27-2010, 07:09 PM

2,732 posts, read 3,584,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max's mama View Post
I think people in general underestimate how much work raising a child is. If we are talking about men specifically, some of them can feel really trapped by fatherhood, especially those who are used to come and go as they please...but I think some women feel that way too!
Yes, people today see all the positive things about children in the movies and so they think that's pretty much it..

On a side note, back when my mom was going to school, that had little play baby dolls that they had to take home and take care of, they also learned how to cook a little bit. And this was high school!

They need to bring back these kind of programs because I strongly believe it can be a good deterrent to having kids so young because it shows women how much work needs to be done around the clock.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships