Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2018, 10:35 AM

19,637 posts, read 12,226,539 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I know a guy who's struggling with advanced effects of diabetes, who's given up due to illness, and continued financial struggles. He's finally realized, at this desperate stage, that his diabetes is the result of unaddressed major emotional baggage from childhood, but hasn't made the connection between that, and his inability to sustain a stable relationship. It's very sad. If he'd woken up to this, when the diabetes was at a much earlier stage, he could have salvaged some QOL, but the poor-choice-making continued until a couple of emergency hospitalizations and surgeries were necessary. Some guys give up, because they've boxed themselves into a corner they can no longer escape from, not because they're bitter or angry.
Someone else probably knew he had these kinds of issues earlier on. Some people need to be clobbered over the head to get on track, and if we let those people fester and sink without putting a fire under them, we are enablers. Many just don't know about that deeper internal stuff causing their problems, blame others instead, and need to be guided or smacked into looking in the mirror before it is too late.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2018, 10:44 AM

15,013 posts, read 21,652,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PuppiesandKittens View Post
What a strange post. I'm a straight guy in this age bracket. I've never met another straight guy who lost interest in women. Perhaps he doesn't want to get married, but becoming unattracted to women? Never seen that before.

I'm sure there are ones who are altogether done with women as well. I'm not interested in the ones who don't want to get married either though. I consider that to be a mutated version of disinterest. I am interested in the ones who want women and are still open to getting married.

Old 11-10-2018, 06:22 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,124,163 times
Quote:
I know a guy who's struggling with advanced effects of diabetes, who's given up due to illness, and continued financial struggles. He's finally realized, at this desperate stage, that his diabetes is the result of unaddressed major emotional baggage from childhood, but hasn't made the connection between that, and his inability to sustain a stable relationship. It's very sad. If he'd woken up to this, when the diabetes was at a much earlier stage, he could have salvaged some QOL, but the poor-choice-making continued until a couple of emergency hospitalizations and surgeries were necessary. Some guys give up, because they've boxed themselves into a corner they can no longer escape from, not because they're bitter or angry.
That's my buddy. Known him for 25 years or more. I told him to get on a diet and join a gym and quit the soda. He didn't listen. (continued below)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I'm confused. When has your emotional state been connected to causing diabetes?
Bad attitude causes poor choices such as soft drink addiction and porking out on weight, no exercise. Last several years he turned into a constant whiner/complainer and when I got him on the phone he was nothing but negative. I finally told him to FOND.

I've known everything about him. Lived with his momma and niece until momma died. He actually had an affair with his niece (trailer trash). It's a sad story, his BIL murdered his sister and committed suicide (gun). Grandma raised her and my messed up friend. I don't know how the hell they ended up in bed, or why.

The craziest thing is that his niece and hubby and kids are living with him in the desert outside of Kingman these days. For you L.A. people think Palmdale 35-40 years ago. He gets a great pension but due to mostly supporting household he lives full time on credit cards maxed, and 3-4 days each month before he gets his pension they eat .... whatever is cheapest because they can't afford to buy food or anything. I think his pension is about $3K/month. He sold out his 401k.

I don't need his toxic baggage in my life. Interesting story tough.

Old 11-10-2018, 06:24 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I'm confused. When has your emotional state been connected to causing diabetes?
Some people self-medicate not with alcohol or drugs, but with food. They gain weight (which increases their chances of getting diabetes), but can't stick to a diet, because of their emotional eating.

And JerZ mentioned stress as contributing to diabetes. People with unresolved emotional issues make poor life choices in other respects besides diet, that cause them stress. Maybe bad career choices or bad behavior choices on the job, bad relationship choices that lead to stress. They may fall into a workaholic pattern, which is terribly stressful to the body.

Old 11-10-2018, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Some people self-medicate not with alcohol or drugs, but with food. They gain weight (which increases their chances of getting diabetes), but can't stick to a diet, because of their emotional eating.
Sounds like you know my buddy Bob in Kingman. Especially if you include a 12-pack of soft drinks per day. He doesn't drink alcohol or smoke or drugs or anything.

He had a nice lady a few miles away I quite liked, she has a pool table. In fact I should visit Kingman and see her not him.

Bob told me he can't even raise an erection now due to his diabetes. He has no interest in women, or any way to deliver.

Old 11-10-2018, 08:14 PM

17,742 posts, read 9,192,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
Both men and women get more selective about who they date in their 40s. It isn't loss of interest, it's an improvement in judgement on who they date.
I would think it would be the opposite -- people lowering their standards.

Old 11-10-2018, 08:25 PM

20,757 posts, read 8,579,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
Priorities change. When you're younger most men and women concentrate on looks. With age and experience you look for other attributes. Looks are still important in terms of attraction but not so much.

Old 11-10-2018, 08:29 PM

Quote:
People who have options (got money, work out at gym, healthy) get more critical. People who have no options (no retirement plan, couch potato, fat) get less critical, or get used to being alone with their favorite TV programs. Those people usually have dogs (men) or cats (women).

I work out 3-5 times a week at my LA Fitness. Funny, so does my fave GF, and we sometimes enjoy a yoga class together, then lunch at a local restaurant.

You up your standards if you have class. You lower your standards if you are a beta. If you work as a Walmart greeter you take whatever you can get. (Funny, my local Walmart greeter is a very nice woman. I always chat her up when I visit my Walmart. I have no idea what her life is. No, I don't hit on her. I have too much class to bother women on their jobs.)

Old 11-10-2018, 08:55 PM

17,742 posts, read 9,192,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
Priorities change. When you're younger most men and women concentrate on looks. With age and experience you look for other attributes. Looks are still important in terms of attraction but not so much.

We're talking about people in their 40's, right? I would think what you're saying would apply to people older than that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
People who have options (got money, work out at gym, healthy) get more critical. People who have no options (no retirement plan, couch potato, fat) get less critical, or get used to being alone with their favorite TV programs. Those people usually have dogs (men) or cats (women).

I work out 3-5 times a week at my LA Fitness. Funny, so does my fave GF, and we sometimes enjoy a yoga class together, then lunch at a local restaurant.

You up your standards if you have class. You lower your standards if you are a beta. If you work as a Walmart greeter you take whatever you can get. (Funny, my local Walmart greeter is a very nice woman. I always chat her up when I visit my Walmart. I have no idea what her life is. No, I don't hit on her. I have too much class to bother women on their jobs.)

LH ("Dog Loving Member"), you seem to have a pretty negative view of people with pets.

Old 11-10-2018, 11:40 PM

Quote:
LH ("Dog Loving Member"), you seem to have a pretty negative view of people with pets.
WHUT?????

I just today completed an adoption application from a pet rescue charity, adopting a cute little semi-cocker about 11-12 pounds, 1 year old, male, whose name is gonna be Roscoe if they let me adopt him. I'm pretty sure Roscoe will be sleeping on my bed within 1-2 weeks. He is mostly white with beige blotches/spots, and is extremely shy. He was found running wild in the streets. I already love him!

They have to inspect my house to make sure it is pet friendly. (It is.) I adopted my last dog at age 1, he lived to 19, so we were together 18 years! I've had no doggie lover for about 2 years, and happy to pre-announce I should have a dog really really soon!

I'll use his cute pic in my profile as soon as he arrives!

I have been looking for a new doggie for two years!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships