Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 07:41 PM

3,301 posts, read 11,717,786 times

Advertisements

'Sugarbabe' favors negotiated infidelity - CNN.com

It just blew my mind a little. Then again, she formed her opinion after her married boyfriend broke up with her (oh the tragedy!). I mean, I have my cynical moments, but my God
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2010, 07:47 PM

2,163 posts, read 4,341,101 times
I read this earlier today. This goes along with all the other threads on open relationships.

I know a few people who have (or claim to have) open relationships. One couple are both friends of mine. His FB page is loaded with references to sex with different people and after a while I hid his postings from my wall. His wife on the other hand has zero references to swinging and open marriage, and as far as I can tell from her posts, they live apart most of the time because of their jobs. Very strange.

Another guy friend of mine told me he has an open marriage. Of course, that was when he was trying to hook up with me. It didn't work, not even close. I am not a "hook up" kind of girl

Old 08-03-2010, 07:54 PM

3,301 posts, read 11,717,786 times
Yeah, I dunno, I guess I'm just an old-fashioned prude because I'd never go for an open relationship like that. If the guy wants it, that's fine, but it won't be with me.

Also, sorry if this is overly-repetitive with other threads. I just couldn't believe that someone actually went on CNN to tout this "knowledge"

Old 08-04-2010, 12:07 AM

396 posts, read 732,522 times
Coming at this from the perspective of someone who lives a polyamorous life... I have the same opinion of this article that I do of the other one on CNN about non-monogamy being "natural" for humans as a whole: it's headline-grabbing crap.

There's a big difference between "accepting infidelity" (which is what this article promotes) and choosing to live a non-monogamous life as desired by all involved. This whole idea that women should just accept that men will cheat? Load of crap. It's about on par with saying that men should just accept that women will turn into soap-opera-watching, bon-bon-inhaling whales who don't put out.

I despise these ridiculous articles and the twits who "author" them... and honestly, as someone who has deliberately chosen a non-monogamous life and ensured I only get involved with others who truly desire the same, I find these articles to be HUGELY damaging to to the general public's perceptions of what my life and my relationships are like.

Old 08-05-2010, 09:20 AM

408 posts, read 809,455 times
One of my best friends was in an "open-relationship" of some degree. She was dating a guy who is 20+ yrs. older than her and then they both started dating one of her other friends. Strange, I know. I kind of stayed away from that relationship and turns out the other girl they were both dating decided to leave them both for another woman. Whatever floats your boat, I guess.

Old 08-05-2010, 07:49 PM

9,230 posts, read 16,546,473 times
Total nonsense. There is a big difference between wanting an open relationship and giving into it because you think men will never be faithful. She's weak.

Old 08-05-2010, 08:19 PM

1,156 posts, read 2,381,530 times
I do hope that when one of the Australian women's basketball team files a paternity suit against Phil Dean, "Holly" will continue to be so broad-minded. And it's only a matter of if, not when. Assuming that the rest of society plays by your set of rules is what I personally would call "short-sighted." I'd wager to bet that they don't. Especially the female population ...

Old 08-05-2010, 08:31 PM

48,532 posts, read 34,851,331 times
A professional mistress advises allowed infidelity? Um, yeah. No.

Just because she has no morals she wants to advocate to make that a recommended course of action.

/insert mod cut here

Old 08-05-2010, 08:35 PM

1,156 posts, read 2,381,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropical Trouble View Post
I know a few people who have (or claim to have) open relationships. One couple are both friends of mine. His FB page is loaded with references to sex with different people and after a while I hid his postings from my wall. His wife on the other hand has zero references to swinging and open marriage, and as far as I can tell from her posts, they live apart most of the time because of their jobs. Very strange.
I think the key phrase here is "claim to have." The ex-S.O. who cheated on me also told the women he hooked up with that we had an open relationship while we were living together. Of course, I knew nothing about this so-called "open relationship" until one of the women came forward and told me about it.

Old 08-06-2010, 12:39 AM

10,229 posts, read 16,301,087 times
If open marriages were such a great idea then why did it fizzle out after it's trend in the 70's? I've know only a few in relationships like this, and I don't think a single one of them survived it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships