Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2010, 02:05 PM

6,548 posts, read 7,281,921 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boodhabunny View Post
For men, marriage establishes paternity
A man/woman can still be a parent with or without the marriage paper.

Quote:
and protects his parental rights legally and socially
That's right but it can also put him in financial burden for more than 18 years if divorced which it has a big possibility of happening according to surveys and stats.

Quote:
Unmarried fathers have a much more difficult time enforcing their rights
Yes. Family and divorce law is biased towards men, you're right.

Quote:
Marriage also provides a man with exclusive sexual access to a woman. If you want a woman all to yourself, marriage is still the best way to ensure it
Sure, it could be but also living with a woman doesn't guarantee he will have sex as much and however he wants it.

Quote:
If you like it, and you want to keep it, you would be wise to put a ring on it
Yes, a ring is necessary and I can't see many women being totally fine getting married without having her guy spend more money on her, in this case, her dreamy engagement ring.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2010, 02:20 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,676,881 times
Quote:
For men, marriage establishes paternity and protects his parental rights legally and socially. Unmarried fathers have a much more difficult time enforcing their rights.

Marriage also provides a man with exclusive sexual access to a woman. If you want a woman all to yourself, marriage is still the best way to ensure it. Those who skirt around marriage do so at their own risk. I'm not saying it can't work out, but it's less likely to.

If you like it, and you want to keep it, you would be wise to put a ring on it.
Marriage doesn't guarantee either of these though. The only thing that does is a faithful partner.

Old 09-17-2010, 02:35 PM

1,589 posts, read 2,683,057 times
There are no guarantees either way, it's more about managing your risks.

Old 09-17-2010, 02:36 PM

Quote:
There are no guarantees either way, it's more about managing your risks.
Yup. Your 50%-60% risks of failing.

Old 09-17-2010, 02:38 PM

3,360 posts, read 12,273,142 times
If I were in love with someone I'd rather be married to them to feel like things were complete. My first marriage ended in divorce and I can tell you that when you go into court you can never tell what's going to happen no matter how much you've got on your side. I got $200 a month for two yrs and no child support after insisting that we become homeless and with no other income. It's not always men that get screwed.

My second 'husband' and the love of my life, though we were only able to live together as my divorce took five years, when he died I did not receive his pension nor any of his physical possessions as technically we were not related. Neither did I carry his name nor any public regard of the strength of the relationship as he sadly died before we could wed.

Now living with someone and it feels more like roommates. If I were on my deathbed he would insist I get up to give him the $1.00 for a bottle of aspirin (already experienced this). Will not grant any future use of the home we share should something happen to him I will be requred to move out right away. Even with scads of money will not leave me a penny and pays for nothing concerning me now. If I have a shortfall expects my kids to pick it up and guarantee my future. My medical permissions belong to kids that live far away. I cannot use his phone or drive his car. Sure I'd rather be married but not like this or to him. Too much arms length to support a true relationship in my mind, and fosters a false sense of security where none exists. Fortunately I can leave anytime I can figure out an alternative which would greatly surprise his sense of well being I'm sure.

Old 09-17-2010, 02:40 PM

1,589 posts, read 2,683,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onihC View Post
Yup. Your 50%-60% risks of failing.
You think that's bad? The risks are even higher for those cohabitating.

Old 09-17-2010, 03:08 PM

1,626 posts, read 3,899,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
They are who exactly? The women on this forum? The women that associate with you? What are the demographics you have in mind?

And who is this "our" you have in mind for meeting physical needs? I don't know a woman off line or on this forum that would go near one of you with a ten foot pole.

LOL this was funny, you cant make that assumption , you dont even know us

Old 09-17-2010, 03:17 PM

5,987 posts, read 10,475,163 times
Quote:
Yes, but usually you can just walk away without further problems. Risk of breaking up may be higher, but all other risks are lower. Seems worthwhile to me!

Old 09-17-2010, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Not sure if they are higher or lower but the risks are still there and the court is as biased towards men regardless of the couple being married or simply living together.

Old 09-17-2010, 03:48 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,201,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swan Dive View Post
LOL this was funny, you cant make that assumption , you dont even know us
Who you are here is no different than who you are off line. Now, many can say that they just fool quality women off line. In that they essentially lie about who they are. Sorry, I don't find most of the women haters on this forum to be that clever. If they were, they wouldn't be on this forum complaining about women in the first place. So yea, I don't know any women that would be interested in what a number of you have to offer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships