Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2010, 12:24 PM

6,143 posts, read 7,556,449 times

Advertisements

I don't mind pictures of a man with animals. I like them, actually. It's best for me to weed out the animal haters right off the bat. However, I'd prefer the animals be of the furry variety and not a bunch of snakes or something!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2010, 12:36 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 59,016,245 times
Another Photo mystery

Why is it that the pics you feel are good pics never seem to do well but the ones you don't think are that good brings in more positive results?

Old 10-10-2010, 12:52 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,269,059 times
1. pic with a animal -- Sure, why not. I have pets. Good to know he had some, too, because then he'd get it when I said I couldn't just drop everything and run to Tahiti. And there's something about "a boy and his dog."

2. Showing off muscles -- Tacky, as are photos of him shirtless. I don't care how built he is. If he wants to get a point across, he can do it with his shirt on, in a natural pose in a short-sleeved shirt, like rowing in a canoe or something. One time someone sent me a photo of himself in a loincloth. He was tall, with a swimmer's body, but I couldn't resist the urge to say, "Me not Jane." Another time someone had a photo of himself with a mirror behind him, across the room. Let's just say the only thing that went through my head was, "Your fanny's out!" I don't know how it got by the censors at Match, either.

3. doing something interesting -- Define "interesting." Fanny Guy above also had a shot of himself made up like Gene Simmons. My sister, knowing my ridiculous attachment to Kiss circa 1975, told me I just had to give this guy a shot. I said, "If he were done up like Ace, we'd talk."

"But he might have the Simmons tongue."

"His fanny's out!"

"Too bad he lives in your area and not mine. I'd write him."

"HIS FANNY'S OUT!"

4. having fun with friends -- Meh, not really. For one thing, he runs the risk of his friends looking better! "Yeah, hi. Nice profile. Who's the guy on the right?" Plus, do his buddies know their photos are on the internet?

5. outdoors -- From the waist up, in ski gear, at the top of a mountain, goggles up over the ski hat so you can see his face, sun shining = win. Crouched over a deer he just shot = fail.

6. drinking -- No. Photos of people drinking are never good.

7. travel photos -- Maybe one, if it's a cool place, like the Great Wall of China or with some pyramids in the background. A phone shot of the red light district in Amsterdam or with 16-year-old girls in Thailand, not so much.

As with everything else in life, so much depends on context.

Old 10-10-2010, 12:57 PM

27,345 posts, read 27,397,752 times
Pics that show they love animals are good. Pics of them in their natural settings are good. A guy on a bed or showing extreme body pics are a turnoff. So are photoshopped pics. Just be yourself, the pic will tell it all.

Old 10-10-2010, 01:08 PM

3,485 posts, read 7,311,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
I said that it was discovered that looking away from the camera and not smiling is a good photo for men.
I meant, it is a good photo of men, for women to see. I'm just agreeing with you.

Old 10-10-2010, 01:14 PM

10,363 posts, read 20,799,063 times
Quote:
I stumbled across a site called penn olsen and it was stated that these are the type of photos women like to see online

1. pic with a animal
2. Showing off muscles
3. doing something interesting
4. having fun with friends
5. outdoors
6. drinking
7. travel photos

Well None of my online photos since 2007 feel into any of these categories but I have still done quite well. But I guess that is what a women is talking about when she says-"do you have any other pics"

All I need to see is your face whether it's in your bedroom, bathroom, or kitchen. Hanging out having fun won't impresss me if your face is ugly-lol
With all of these, I think it depends on who you're trying to attract.
1. pic with a animal --only if you're a big animal lover yourself, and you really want someone who also loves them. Can screen out those who don't or who are allergic to certain animals maybe--if a man is holding a cat, I won't contact him b/c I'm very allergic, so for the love of dog, don't borrow someone's cat
2. Showing off muscles--I see no good reason for this unless you want a female bodybuilder--usually seen as tacky unless you're just looking to get laid (and many men and women are)
3. doing something interesting--yes, but beware with this one--you playing WOW is probably only going to attract a small segment of the population--on the other hand, do you want a lot of people contacting you, or only the few that will really get you? Depends on your purpose of course.
4. having fun with friends--agree with the poster who said that you can tell alot about someone by their friends, but don't pose with someone better looking than you
5. outdoors--are you looking for someone who also loves the outdoors? By all means, use it. If you're only lukewarm and that was your once in a year outdoor experience, don't bother.
6. drinking--will weed out teetotalers and many moderate drinkers as well unless it's a very appealing group with friends type photo also, and/or you're trying to attract someone who is very social.
7. travel photos--Do you travel a lot and want to attract someone who does as well and you want someone to go on future trips with? Yes, use them. I love to travel and the outdoors, so those kinds of photos are very appealing to me. I also love big muscles, but don't like those kind of shots b/c it looks like showing off to me.

One problem that some of us have, and esp as we get older, is that we're not very photogenic, so we really have to go thru hundreds of photos to find the one or few that will show us in our best light, and that can be difficult. One of my best pix is one with my ex-husband in New Zealand, so I cut it down and it still shows his hand--I hate to not use it though, so before I go back to online dating, I'll have a friend take some pix of me with a good camera. Also, like TV, I'm not always the best judge of what's a decent pic of me.

Old 10-10-2010, 01:15 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,628,399 times
I was perusing an online dating site not too long ago and it 'matched' me with a local guy. Took a look at his pictures and in one, he was playing guitar... the next he was in a peacoat with a scarf (swoon!) and the next was a pic of him flying a plane.

So I'd have to say hobby photos are what attract me most. Pick what you love to do and take a few shots of you doing it...unless you're a furry. Pick your favorite outfit that just 'screams' you and take a pic of that.

Old 10-10-2010, 01:18 PM

1,348 posts, read 3,586,607 times
Quote:
I stumbled across a site called penn olsen and it was stated that these are the type of photos women like to see online

1. pic with a animal
2. Showing off muscles
3. doing something interesting
4. having fun with friends
5. outdoors
6. drinking
7. travel photos

Well None of my online photos since 2007 feel into any of these categories but I have still done quite well. But I guess that is what a women is talking about when she says-"do you have any other pics"

All I need to see is your face whether it's in your bedroom, bathroom, or kitchen. Hanging out having fun won't impresss me if your face is ugly-lol

This is false. The vast majority of women online enjoy being sent pictures of a man's penis.

Old 10-10-2010, 01:19 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 59,016,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
With all of these, I think it depends on who you're trying to attract.
1. pic with a animal --only if you're a big animal lover yourself, and you really want someone who also loves them. Can screen out those who don't or who are allergic to certain animals maybe--if a man is holding a cat, I won't contact him b/c I'm very allergic, so for the love of dog, don't borrow someone's cat
2. Showing off muscles--I see no good reason for this unless you want a female bodybuilder--usually seen as tacky unless you're just looking to get laid (and many men and women are)
3. doing something interesting--yes, but beware with this one--you playing WOW is probably only going to attract a small segment of the population--on the other hand, do you want a lot of people contacting you, or only the few that will really get you? Depends on your purpose of course.
4. having fun with friends--agree with the poster who said that you can tell alot about someone by their friends, but don't pose with someone better looking than you
5. outdoors--are you looking for someone who also loves the outdoors? By all means, use it. If you're only lukewarm and that was your once in a year outdoor experience, don't bother.
6. drinking--will weed out teetotalers and many moderate drinkers as well unless it's a very appealing group with friends type photo also, and/or you're trying to attract someone who is very social.
7. travel photos--Do you travel a lot and want to attract someone who does as well and you want someone to go on future trips with? Yes, use them. I love to travel and the outdoors, so those kinds of photos are very appealing to me. I also love big muscles, but don't like those kind of shots b/c it looks like showing off to me.

One problem that some of us have, and esp as we get older, is that we're not very photogenic, so we really have to go thru hundreds of photos to find the one or few that will show us in our best light, and that can be difficult. One of my best pix is one with my ex-husband in New Zealand, so I cut it down and it still shows his hand--I hate to not use it though, so before I go back to online dating, I'll have a friend take some pix of me with a good camera. Also, like TV, I'm not always the best judge of what's a decent pic of me.

It's pic of me that was going to never be used because I didn't like and for some reason it bringing in lotsof results and i don't know why.

Old 10-10-2010, 01:28 PM

7,507 posts, read 4,399,446 times
pics with animal - as long as it's not a dead animal then it's fine. I know some guys do that and it's so...yeah.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships