Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2010, 12:58 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,773,843 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
That's because by that time, the older man is tired of years of picking up his own socks and is done with all that, and the prospective mate is tired of years of picking up other people's socks and is done with all that.

For some really weird reason, I always picture myself as an eccentric older lady, divorced or separated or what-have-you and only cleaning up my own messes...LOL. I mean that sounds terrible but it's true. I just can't even picture ONLY doing dishes I personally ate off of...KWIM? I truly can't...what is that like?

No, I think when I'm an old bird (which is not so very far off anyway) I'll be "alone" when I want to...then when I need a little sumpin' sumpin', I'll call on a boy toy or something.

I've heard the "but do you want do die old and alone?" thing so many times. Well, I actually don't want to die at all, and growing old doesn't seem like the absolute most fun a person can have, BUT...what guarantees do I have anyway by hooking my claws into some 60-year-old dude when I'm 59.5 and having him stick around healthfully anyway? There are NO guarantees, at any age, except this one: 20 more years of being the house slave and I'm sure I'll be part of the majority of older women who do NOT remarry.

Sorry! (/bitter-ish rant off)
Its great that we each get to pick whether it be remarriage or willful singleness. I think as we get older, the deliniation (advantages/disadvantages to each) becomes clearer on what we should do .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2010, 01:00 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,198,692 times
I'm still married but I've said for the last 10 years if something happened I doubt if I would remarry again. There are many reasons:

I've got my kids raised don't need anymore hanging around.

I'm financially stable and don't need the income of anyone else.

I'm physically still in decent shape and work on staying attractive. There are probably thousands of women my age I could have and if I was single I would not want to be tied down to one. By the age of 50, eligible Women outnumber men by the a high number.

I can come and go, do what I want and make my own decisions without having someone else say no.

I'm independent, can cook, do my own laundry and don't need a woman to "pick up after me".

If I want sex I know a whole lot of women who will be willing.

If I found that one special woman I would prefer her to have her own place and date on a regular basis.

I would make an exception to all the above for Valerie Bertinelli.

Old 10-28-2010, 01:06 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,170,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
I would make an exception to all the above for Valerie Bertinelli.
The last line saved the day! I was getting depressed by all the practicalities.

Old 10-28-2010, 01:13 PM

5,412 posts, read 4,240,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007.5 View Post
Im having trouble finding accurate info on the remarried rate above age 55 for men and women, so, if someone knows of a site with that specific info on it, that would be great .

Also, for the Men (particularly) out there who are 55 and older, what do you think are the reasons why divorced Men would not want to entertain remarriage at this time in their life ? Im most curious. Thanks.
I'm guessing since they lost half of their stuff, at least one time, they probably don't want to lose half of what's left of their stuff.

Old 10-28-2010, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
The last line saved the day! I was getting depressed by all the practicalities.
It's easy to say all the above until someone like Valerie comes into your world. Then it would be... Nevermind to what I just said.

The main thing is I would not need another mother, maid or cook but a high quality partner.

Old 10-28-2010, 01:15 PM

You know, Rakin, I kept thinking about your post. Actually, your preferences and actual marital status don't jive at all! What's the deal with that... The children part can be taken out of the equation - it's understandable. However, it doesn't sound like you're all that happy to be married, buddy!

Old 10-28-2010, 01:23 PM

Nope, right now I'm happily married but as you know it's not always easy. I just know as I get older I'm more secure in who I am, what I have to offer and what I will accept.

I've seen many of your posts saying something similar.

Old 10-28-2010, 01:36 PM

783 posts, read 2,258,295 times
I'm 48, was divorced when I was 24, and have no desire to go back. I thought for a while I was but I snapped out of that delusion pretty quickly. I have no desire to raise some other dude's kids, or to go through the drama of a divorce and be on the hook for support the rest of my life, or even to have no time to myself. The closest I came to that was about 9 years ago I was dating a young woman of about 24. I was not quite 40 and she was very attractive, a teacher who had done modeling and some music videos and felt no inhibitions about throwing on a pair of my boxers and a t-shirt to run to Ralph's. She's young, beautiful, sexy, hot, enjoys cuddling on the couch... and one time she came to visit, and stayed... and stayed... and stayed. After three days I was like "man when is she going to LEAVE?" I didnt want her to stay away, but I sure didnt want her moving in - especially in California.

I'm 48. I'm going to settle down with someone half my age who is likely to leave me eventually? Probably taking one or more kids which means I'm now doubly alone. Or do I settle down with some 40 year old who's going to tell me how to eat, leave the TV running 24/7 with those ANNOYING gossip shows, and tell me I can't do what I want with my money because the house needs some sort of repair? Mom died a long time ago, I don't need or want another. Not even if she's Valerie Bertinelli.

Old 10-28-2010, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Nope, right now I'm happily married but as you know it's not always easy. I just know as I get older I'm more secure in who I am, what I have to offer and what I will accept.

I've seen many of your posts saying something similar.
Not really. I prefer to be married IF the marriage is good. That dating deal is too inconvenient on top of every other con.

Old 10-28-2010, 02:20 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,785,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Not really. I prefer to be married IF the marriage is good. That dating deal is too inconvenient on top of every other con.
I'd love to have a happy healthy marriage. I am in no rush to get there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships