Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2007, 06:44 AM

6,565 posts, read 14,297,629 times

Advertisements

For the sweet whatever that gave me a negative rep point on my comment.... It was a joke. That's what the little winking emoticon guy means for pete's sake!!! Kinda like this one means "whatever, get a life".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2007, 06:48 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,630,992 times
A friend of mine is a "house-husband" and he loves it. His wife earns a lot more so when they had kids it made sense for him to stay home. He looks after the house, and the kids and he seems to have bloomed being able to spend time with his kids and getting to know them. IMO there is nothing wrong with it as long as both parties are OK with it and it does give the opportunity for men to get more nvolved with childrearing which I think is wonderful.
He is no less macho and still hangs out with his mates, still watches games on TV and still plays football but he has also gained a valuable insight into a more domesticated life.
And to imply someone is somehow less masculine or gay because they stay home is ridiculous. It is sad and pathetic that in 2007 some people still attach stigma to this situation and somehow believe a woman's place is in the home. Whatever makes you happy and is the best for your own situation. Stereotypes really should be a thing of the past.

Old 07-12-2007, 06:59 AM

3,570 posts, read 8,720,720 times
And IMO as a former stay-at-home dad, the term "househusband" is as offensive as "housewife". If I were to stay at home and take care of the house and have no kids, maybe it wouldn't be as offensive, but I am a dad first...thus At-Home dad. Or daddy as my kids still call me.

Old 07-12-2007, 08:15 AM

6,565 posts, read 14,297,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
And to imply someone is somehow less masculine or gay because they stay home is ridiculous. It is sad and pathetic that in 2007 some people still attach stigma to this situation and somehow believe a woman's place is in the home. Whatever makes you happy and is the best for your own situation. Stereotypes really should be a thing of the past.
.....And then in the next thread we'll ask again "Why are men so soft???".

Yes, roles are changing. Men are encouraged to "get in touch with thier feminine side." and are told that nothing is wrong with staying at home and being the........ what did you call it???........ Stay-at-home-Dad??? Fine...

It's a personal choice that I simply don't think I could make. No "stigma" and I AGAIN was joking about the "gay" thing (some of you really need to lighten up) is necessarily attatched to the situation, but I just don't think I could play Mr. Mom while my wife goes off to work to earn for my family.

JMO, sorry you don't like it.

Old 07-12-2007, 08:57 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,630,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier_guy View Post
Well I am a former "sissy" and "weak" guy who stayed at home with his kids for three and a half years. I began staying at home with my kids when my son was six months old. I was not weak and quite honestly am insulted that some people perceive men in that manner.

I was part of an excellent group of guys here in the Twin Cities (MDAH) that take care of their kids while the wives work outside the house. We don't babysit our kids...we are full-time dads!

You would not believe the amount of work it takes to be an At-Home dad. Who has time for a side job when you're at home taking care of 2 kids under the age of 4? And that was just me. I knew guys who were taking care of up to 4 kids! Yeah, it's no picnic and it's the toughest job you will ever have...but the absolute most rewarding.

My wife made excellent money and with the cost of childcare it was just not wise for both of us to work outside the home. I did start my own business to help out, and even delivered newspapers on the weekend. It wasn't much, but it helped keep us afloat. But my value is not in how much money I bring home. My value is not in what type of job I hold or how big my house is...my value lies in being a loving and supportive husband and dad first. As long as we have a roof over our heads, food on the table and meet our debts that is all that matters in the area of provision. I'm not out to be a millionaire by the world's standards...I'm out to make a difference in the life of my family.

I went back to work full time outside the home 6 months ago...and while it is now a good place for us to do that, I miss being with my kids so much. This is the first summer my 8 year old has ever spent at daycamp. My 4 year old LOVES preschool and is excelling there. They both love it and we know it's a great fit...but we all miss what we had. The relationship I've built with both of my kids will always be there...my job may not be there next week, but I'll always have my kids and my wife.

It takes a "strong" man to stay at home with his kids. There may be "some" men out there that are just getting by...but believe me they are the minority!

Good on you and Bravo, society needs more men like you . And you are absolutely not "sissy" or "weak" , I think it takes a strong man to do all you do and one with a much bigger sense of adequacy than most and it is wonderful. I am sure your kids loved it ! Moms are great but Dads can be such good fun too !
And it is WORK . It's hardly like sitting on your bum watching TV , swilling beer and doing nothing.

Old 07-12-2007, 09:30 AM

207 posts, read 748,782 times
I took a week off work to take care of my kids (3.5 and 20 mths), cause the sitter need a vacation and I can tell you this, it's alot easier to go to work 10-12 hours a day if you have to, than taking care of two kids for 8 hours. after that week I found new respect for stay at home mom/dad. It's a very tought job, and yes very rewarding.

Old 07-12-2007, 12:04 PM

Location: Lived Large in Parsippany NJ - Lived Larger in Livingston, NJ -- Now Living Huge in Bethlehem PA
466 posts, read 2,200,289 times
Default Me Too

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToYorkSC View Post
That's my husband's dream!!! Not gonna happen!!
=======

It is my dream too - hope it comes true...lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships