Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2010, 10:12 PM

52,313 posts, read 52,777,716 times

Advertisements

I put out a FB profile a while back. I just recently got a message from some woman that I knew when I was 14 or 15, basically 25 yrs ago. She left me a message with her phone number. I called it tonight and we talked for around a half hour or so. We talked about everyone we knew at the time, about peoples lives and how they've changed, kids, yadda yadda yadda.

The conversation was fairly easy. We seemed to jump right back in time and didn't have too many awkward silences. It was just weird in that our lives have gone a million miles apart. She dropped out of school, had 5 kids three with a different fathers. I'm not judging,just noting. Everyone we knew at the time isn't really doing all that great, working shyty low end jobs, multiple kids, with different spouses, basic chaos. I was talking to her and being friendly not judging and making any negative comments. Inside, I was just thanking my lucky stars that I was able to get away from that dysfunction, was able to go to school and get a decent education, get a decent job, and find a nice woman (seaofgrass).

It's funny how when you walk down memory lane and you realize how thankful for the way your live turned out. This story has so many more details to it.I could go on all night and you'd probably be aghast at some of the details of how some of my friends lives turned out.

I'm really really thankful that I had whatever it was in me that was able to pull ahead and do something productive in my life. I was able to meet a nice generous and the most giving person I've ever known.

I'm a truly lucky man.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2010, 10:18 PM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 20,018,373 times
I think those of us who walk out of this life feeling we got it right are the exception. I'm not one of those I'm afraid but it's always inspiring to hear a success story.

Old 11-13-2010, 10:20 PM

6,143 posts, read 7,564,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I'm really really thankful that I had whatever it was in me that was able to pull ahead and do something productive in my life. I was able to meet a nice generous and the most giving person I've ever known.

I'm a truly lucky man.
You said it yourself. You were able to pull ahead and do something productive. It wasn't all luck!

There are things I have seen on FB that make me feel good about where I am in life. Mostly the people I went to school with who now have 4 kids and do nothing but post every little detail. The last few years haven't been easy, and I've certainly felt quite lonely at times. However, things are looking up and I am SO thankful to be where I am and to be with someone special. I, too, am very lucky!

Old 11-13-2010, 10:21 PM

63 posts, read 115,446 times
This is why you marry the pretty-nice girl, rather than the pretty-slutty girl.

Even if you have to teach the wifey a few moves, it is totally worth avoiding the baggage.

Old 11-13-2010, 10:21 PM

52,313 posts, read 52,777,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whyte Byrd View Post
I think those of us who walk out of this life feeling we got it right are the exception. I'm not one of those I'm afraid but it's always inspiring to hear a success story.
I don't know how much of a success story it was, more a gratitude story in that my life could have been shythouse.

Gratitude.

Old 11-13-2010, 10:22 PM

3,948 posts, read 4,309,672 times
I try not to look at other people's lives to make me happy about how mine is. That's just my opinion. It just doesn't seem right to be like, "Oh, their life is crappy! Glad I'm not living a crappy life." There's just other reminders about how I'm doing.

Old 11-13-2010, 10:22 PM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 20,018,373 times
Quote:
I don't know how much of a success story it was, more a gratitude story in that my life could have been shythouse.

Gratitude.
That came across loud and clear.

Old 11-13-2010, 10:24 PM

4,098 posts, read 7,112,240 times
Default Man, am I a lucky guy or what.

Quote:
I put out a FB profile a while back. I just recently got a message from some woman that I knew when I was 14 or 15, basically 25 yrs ago. She left me a message with her phone number. I called it tonight and we talked for around a half hour or so. We talked about everyone we knew at the time, about peoples lives and how they've changed, kids, yadda yadda yadda.

The conversation was fairly easy. We seemed to jump right back in time and didn't have too many awkward silences. It was just weird in that our lives have gone a million miles apart. She dropped out of school, had 5 kids three with a different fathers. I'm not judging,just noting. Everyone we knew at the time isn't really doing all that great, working shyty low end jobs, multiple kids, with different spouses, basic chaos. I was talking to her and being friendly not judging and making any negative comments. Inside, I was just thanking my lucky stars that I was able to get away from that dysfunction, was able to go to school and get a decent education, get a decent job, and find a nice woman (seaofgrass).

It's funny how when you walk down memory lane and you realize how thankful for the way your live turned out. This story has so many more details to it.I could go on all night and you'd probably be aghast at some of the details of how some of my friends lives turned out.

I'm a truly lucky man.

Chow, this is a great story. I bet your wife wasn't one bit upset with you talking to an old friend. I would like to make one comment about your last sentence: "I'm a truly lucky man". I think in your case, you have made your own good luck. You call it lucky, I call it smart... My hat is off to you, Bud.

Old 11-13-2010, 10:26 PM

6,143 posts, read 7,564,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoEdible View Post
I try not to look at other people's lives to make me happy about how mine is. That's just my opinion. It just doesn't seem right to be like, "Oh, their life is crappy! Glad I'm not living a crappy life." There's just other reminders about how I'm doing.
In my case, it's not looking at other people's crappy life to make myself happy. Their life isn't necessarily crappy. They obviously don't think it is and I don't either. It's just realizing it's not the life for ME and I am glad I'm not there.

Old 11-13-2010, 10:27 PM

19,435 posts, read 15,276,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelike View Post
This is why you marry the pretty-nice girl, rather than the pretty-slutty girl.

Even if you have to teach the wifey a few moves, it is totally worth avoiding the baggage.
Yeah, right... *snickering*
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships