Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2010, 05:26 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,720,562 times

Advertisements

It shows how much his mother means to him.

He is a keeper, will become a good husband unlike his frail father.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2010, 05:38 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,162,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funymann View Post
It's creepy.

I would think she would have mixed feelings.

How did he give it to her? "Here is my Mom's ring. They took it off her finger in the accident."
Nice.

Although it is thoughtful, to put such a meaning of having your Mom with you is creepy. I think she deserves her OWN special ring that is given to her by her future husband.

That's just me.

They should have buried Diana with HER ring on HER finger.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
It may be the logical choice, but for me, it would be haunting to be married in the place where I last saw my mother laying in her casket. It may not bother William and his brother, but it would bother me. Just expressing how I would feel about it, that's all.
I'm with you two.

Old 11-20-2010, 08:56 AM

2,932 posts, read 5,421,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hart4july View Post
Whatever can be said, Kate has earned the wearing of this ring for all her careful choices, her poise and of course her patience. I think she is very beautiful and the ring suits her. The royal gene pool will escape homeliness for years to come.
I agree with you. Kate and William make a beautiful couple, and I think they are extremely well-matched. It appears that she already knows how to act like a "royal", and I doubt we'll see the drama that's occurred over the past 30 years. I'm very happy for them...and I look forward to the royal wedding.

Old 11-20-2010, 09:24 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,877,384 times
Quote:
It's creepy.

How did he give it to her? "Here is my Mom's ring. They took it off her finger in the accident."
Nice.
Seeing as how it was Diana's engagement ring from Charles and they had long been divorced by the time of the accident, I really doubt that she was wearing it when she died. I don't know anyone who would continue to wear an engagement ring from a miserable marriage which ended in a very, very bitter divorce.

Quote:
Why would she want to be buried with a ring given to her by a man who never really loved her?

That said, I think it's important to look at this from William's point of view. He probably just sees it as his mother's ring, that's all. It has sentimental value to him and he wanted to share that with his wife. I don't see what is wrong with that. When he looks at the ring, he probably doesn't see a failed marriage, least of all her tragic death or some silly idea of a "curse" (for crying out loud, the ring has only had one previous owner, there's not exactly a pattern). He just sees it as the ring his mother used to wear from his childhood. I fail to see how that is "creepy" in anyway.

Old 11-20-2010, 09:29 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,157,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hart4july View Post
Well even if you're not a celebrity follower you have heard the news of Prince William's engagement to lovely, elegant, Kate Middleton.
I am curious how others have reacted to the his sentimental decision to bestow Diana's gorgeous but tragic diamond and saphirre ring to Kate. Without getting into Royalty gossip and the like, I had a slightly ominous feeling about this and have now learned that they may wed at Westminster Abbey where Diana's funeral was held.

From a relationship standpoint I wonder for Kate and for any bride to be if physically wearing on a daily basis the symbol of a dramatically failed marriage and even heavier the jewelry of a person who died unexpectedly and tragically must feel. Has anyone else worn the ring from a previously failed marriage and did it ever feel like your ring or did it perhaps carry a negative, dare I say, "vibration"?

It seems that the young but wise couple is trying very hard to learn from the error of Charles and Diana, and it seems many are asking if a new ring would have been a better symbol of their future happiness. I do think the giving of Diana's ring was an emotional decision by William who has stated that it seemed a way to have his mother present, but I also wonder if it was a bit of a publicity move to add to the Royal Mystique as Diana's ring was so very iconic and trend setting. It adds pressure to Kate to be an iconic princess as well.

History is full of stories of "cursed" rings and stones, which will hopefully prove mere superstition in this case. I really do think they are in love..Any thoughts or stories??
Are you kidding? Do you know what the bride-to-be can hock that thing for if the marriage goes bust?

Old 11-20-2010, 10:45 AM

8,679 posts, read 15,269,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmabernathy View Post
PS William stated that giving Kate his mother's ring was a symbolic way to let Diana be there in the wedding and their lives together afterward
She's going to be there regardless. I mean, [URL="http://topnews.in/light/files/Prince-William_2.jpg"]look[/URL] at [URL="http://www.sanfranciscosentinel.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/prince-william-birthday-2.jpg"]him[/URL]. It's like looking at a male version of her, right down to his facial expressions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeAhike View Post
I'm glad you mentioned this--centuries of scandal and tragedy associated with the monarchy.

I suppose it is not an option for William to be 'estranged' from his father and stepmother or other members of his family.
Not sure exactly what you mean, but if you're talking about William abdicating and/or ending the monarchy, unless there is some great law forbidding a king from doing so like Edward VIII did, it's always an option. However, that wouldn't take the monarchy with it. The crown would just go to Harry if William abdicated. There's really only one way to rid yourself of a British monarchy, but I do believe Thomas Jefferson is dead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Are you kidding? Do you know what the bride-to-be can hock that thing for if the marriage goes bust?
She would probably have to return the ring to the royal family.

Old 11-20-2010, 11:12 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,186,791 times
Quote:
It's creepy.

Nice.

Although it is thoughtful, to put such a meaning of having your Mom with you is creepy. I think she deserves her OWN special ring that is given to her by her future husband.

That's just me.

Uhm, she was divorced long before that accident took place and was no longer wearing the ring.

People do not get burried with jewelry because of grave robbing. Why would she wear a wedding ring when she was divorced?

Old 11-20-2010, 02:49 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
Hey, everyone dies in one way or another and that is how heirlooms get passed down. The tradition of the mothers engagement right going to her son is a long one that many people all over the world follow. The way the mother died is never an issue. If you think it's creepy then you really don't get out much.

Old 11-20-2010, 10:39 PM

860 posts, read 2,716,348 times
I am really thinking that American women might prefer a shiny new (expensive) ring and a real English woman would be more comfortable with the heirloom. I'll bet if you took a proper poll it would turn out this way.
One thing I think: there is lots of talk of how extravagant the wedding can be and still be in taste due to the depressed economy. If William had bought a new ring, there may have been more tittering about how much British $$ was spent on it. By passing on the heirloom he dodged that bullet. Kate still got a fabulous big ring and not a penny was spent.
Personally I think if they truly go budget it would be depressing. I don't think she'll go the way of Trump's bride and go over the top, she has a more restrained taste, but it should be aspirationally beautiful. The best of the best done tastefully. Worth getting up at the crack of dawn to watch! I got out of bed in the middle of the night as a preteen to see Diana walk down the aisle. But I remember feeling that she looked so sad and apprehensive and wondering why..now I know.

Old 11-22-2010, 07:55 AM

12,585 posts, read 16,952,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday007 View Post
Uhm, she was divorced long before that accident took place and was no longer wearing the ring.

People do not get burried with jewelry because of grave robbing. Why would she wear a wedding ring when she was divorced?
You're right.

My point is he should have bought her a special ring..

It's not like he is short of cash considering the wedding is estimated at around $75,000,000.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships