Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2010, 01:23 PM

2 posts, read 4,112 times

Advertisements

My brother sure seems to think so. Every year he makes the holidays into a NIGHTMARE by putting pressure on me to attend this or that activity, get this or that gift, etc. He starts talking about what he's going to get me for Christmas IN OCTOBER (which only makes me think, oh, I guess I have to start buying gifts soon). It immediately puts a bad taste in my mouth about the holidays and I start DREADING the next 12 weeks.

He also uses the old "if you don't do it for youirself, do it for me and my children" excuse in order to get me to attend Christmas dinner at his house, or partake in whatever. Meanwhile my parents also do the same thing to me, the holidays being the "BEST THING IN THE WORLD" (???).

My wife is like me or worse, she can't stand the holidays and shuns all family activities.

I used to like the holidays OKAY, but now the only thing I think of when the holidays come around are:

1. Having to spend money I don't have on gifts, otherwise I feel guilty. I also resent having to spend money period (even if I did have it), as the whole thing has turned into a 2-month period of ugly consumerism at its worst. Makes me ILL.

2. Having to attend family gatherings (even though we see each other all the time thru the year) because if I don't go, X, Yor Z relative will be "offended and hurt." Why is me not attending Thanksgiving the end of the freaking world?

3. Incessant holiday advertisements pressuring me to spend money.

4. All of the above.

Seriously, it makes me want to be insitutionalized during the months of Nov and Dec. so that when I get out in January, it will all be over and the world will be normal again. Am I the only one who feels this way?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2010, 01:33 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,021,357 times
You're not the only one, if suicide and hospitalization (for depression) rates around the holidays are any indication. I don't "hate" the holidays, myself...but I have definitely fallen into that slump more than once where I felt I "just didn't do enough". There's too much pressure on the winter holidays to make them super-duper special and, somehow, the best ever (every single year...impossible, when you think about it). So don't feel bad about that.

I like getting together. I like baking and I like eating. I like music and hugging the littlest ones that I don't see all year (cousins, nieces/nephews). I *don't* like the "do it ALL" (and spend it all) pressure. But I don't blame that on the day itself, really. I think one day a year (or two, since T'giving is a big one for family too) is a very, very, very nice idea that just got blown out of proportion somewhere.

You're NOT The Grinch if you don't love doing every single Christmas event, show, gathering, town celebration, Santa on the Fire Truck, parade, and party within a 30-mile radius. Try to enjoy, in your own way.

Old 11-16-2010, 01:35 PM

525 posts, read 1,556,065 times
I hate the holidays, every one of them. Thank God for alcohol to help me get through 'em all

Old 11-16-2010, 01:37 PM

8,959 posts, read 20,385,036 times
There are folks in society who think the same way you do, fortunately it's not everyone!! I mean, you are entitled to think that way, but there are others, like your brother, parents and a lot of others (like us) that see the holidays in a different way........love, family togetherness, delicious Thanksgiving Dinner, stunning Christmas lights/decor, Christmas Eve Service, Christmas Day and New Years Eve........party, party, party!!! In fact, wife and I love to get up early on Black Friday and hit a few stores for the great values that are offered. That only happens if we find things in ads we want.
There are folks that don't like the holidays for various reasons, just like a lot of single people don't like Valentine's Day if they don't have someone special in their life. As people get older and older, a lot of them don't like celebrating their birthday. Not me......it's PARTY TIME again!! And, we are in our early 60's!
By the way, have a nice Thanksgiving and great Christmas!!

Old 11-16-2010, 01:39 PM

8,959 posts, read 20,385,036 times
Oh we have that to.....Bud Lights and shots of Butter Babies!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieCountrycm View Post
I hate the holidays, every one of them. Thank God for alcohol to help me get through 'em all

Old 11-16-2010, 01:47 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,729,597 times
No, you're not the only one who feels that way and not by any stretch. "Do" the holidays as YOU want to do them and learn not to be guilted into doing things you don't want to do. Spend what you can spend and no more, be with people you want to be with. If that entails enjoying your own simple Christmas or Thanksgiving with your own family then grow that proverbial set and tell your brother and everyone else, in advance, that "things have changed and we won't be coming for Thanksgiving/Christmas this year as we're going to do our own family thing."

If they wail and flail their hands, then simply stay resolute and do what's comfortable for you and yours. They'll get over it. Good luck!

Old 11-16-2010, 01:48 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,729,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieCountrycm View Post
Child, I've read a few of your recent threads. Maybe the best gift you could give to yourself for the upcoming holiday season is to go to AA.

Old 11-16-2010, 02:11 PM

3,734 posts, read 5,778,062 times
Having worked Retail while in school, I've certainly developed an aversion to 'The Holidays'.

More on all of this later, when I have time.

But we managed to opt-out of all of it by volunteering. More on that later, too.

And how about part-time holiday jobs?

Old 11-16-2010, 02:11 PM

362 posts, read 392,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
There are folks in society who think the same way you do, fortunately it's not everyone!! I mean, you are entitled to think that way, but there are others, like your brother, parents and a lot of others (like us) that see the holidays in a different way........love, family togetherness, delicious Thanksgiving Dinner, stunning Christmas lights/decor, Christmas Eve Service, Christmas Day and New Years Eve........party, party, party!!! In fact, wife and I love to get up early on Black Friday and hit a few stores for the great values that are offered.
Yes, we all love going to stores so idiots can push us out of the way (and run us off the roads) in their quest for shiny things. I also like going to parties and family gatherings where people pretend to be happy and financially secure, at least until they get home. It's all fake and designed to pressure people to spend and to make grocery stores and retailers more money.

Old 11-16-2010, 02:14 PM

362 posts, read 392,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post
And how about part-time holiday jobs?
What about them. Seems like a retail job would be a great way to punish prisoners.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships