Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2010, 12:39 PM

4,941 posts, read 8,334,100 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
a) ask a man out on a proper date? I've done it.

b) propose to their fiance? I'm not going to ask a man to marry me.

c) be comfortable earning more than their SO? I don't have a problem with it (when it happens )

d) be happy to now and then do the 'male' jobs around the house like fixing stuff if they need doing (i.e. replacing a lightbulb without calling for her man) Good grief, a light bulb. Try driving tractors, cropping tobacco, mowing grass, painting, repairing the deck, porch, etc.

I draw the line at snakes and large bugs/spiders!

I have no idea myself so I'm wondering what your personal estimates are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2010, 12:45 PM

29,762 posts, read 34,464,488 times
a) ask a man out on a proper date? I've done it, no big whoop.

b) propose to their fiance? I'm not a big fan of the proposal-as-theater thing, but I'd have no problem discussing the future/marriage/commitment with an SO

c) be comfortable earning more than their SO? Why would I be uncomfortable?

d) be happy to now and then do the 'male' jobs around the house like fixing stuff if they need doing (i.e. replacing a lightbulb without calling for her man) Didn't realize changing a light bulb was man's work. I'm single and I own a house, so I do a lot of stuff to maintain it, from painting to lawn-mowing. For the stuff I can't do I pull out the yellow pages and my checkbook.

Old 12-06-2010, 12:58 PM

6,548 posts, read 7,288,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
I didn't see where anyone said that. I think few women would like to reverse roles here. If a guy isn't proposing, either he isn't sold on marriage, or he isn't sold on it with you
Some women have said they are all into following traditions which involves gender roles (a man’s job, a manly thing, etc.). It’s expecting a gender, in this case a man, to do something just because of his gender. I find it as bad as someone expecting women to stay in the kitchen just because she’s a woman. Somehow, for one reason or the other, a woman in the kitchen is no degrading and insulting to many, but expecting/demanding a man to take care of a woman is not.

Quote:
Are you stuck in the June Cleaver era? In a home where both the husband and work outside the home, you'll find that most share the housework, to some degree.
I am not stuck in that era but it seems many women like the traditional roles that benefit them. There were a couple of responses here where women say they are traditionalists so that is why I asked how they see themselves in the kitchen or any other “traditional role”. That is for married couples. For a guy and a girl who are going out, I don’t see anything wrong with having a girl pay for my dinners, entertainment, etc. just like guys are expected/demanded to do. Not after a couple of months, not after I am tested, not after I prove that I am a nice guy, etc. But from day #1. Why wait to be nice to a guy instead of being nice and courteous right from the start?

Quote:
b) propose to their fiance?
Propose is such a formal term. In long term relationships I find it more likely that both of us are discussing it together, sometimes I bring it up, sometimes he does, but no, I'd never get down on one knee in a formal way. But bringing it up in a "what if" kind of way for discussion, when we are obviously committed and on the same page seems reasonable
MissyRivers,
That’s how I would rather do it. Both arrange to have dinner in a place we both like or prepare something outdoors together. Have a nice long talk about how far we have happily gone and then about how we feel about taking that step of sharing our lives together. Agreeing about it (hopefully) and make the decision together. I find the whole thing about a guy going down on his knees to beg for marriage and buying her a ring that cost him at least 3 months of his salary to be a bit sexist. Rather use all that amount of money for home improvement, another car if we needed one, a couple of vacation trips, etc. instead of having all that money just wrapped around her finger doing nothing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neemy View Post
…but I will expect my SO to do his share
Hello Neemy,
That’s right. See, I would also expect my significant other to do her share so why not take me out for dinners, entertainment, etc. and foot the bill as well? I want to feel romanced, taken care of, valued, etc. as well. So I am all for the relationship revolving around both of us right from the start.

Quote:
There are a few old-fashioned things I hold on to. Chivalry isn't dead, and if a guy wants to open a door for me, I smile and say thank you. And I open doors for guys, too.
I don’t see what would hold a woman to open my door, bring me a chair, hold an umbrella, etc. I don’t see what holds a gender from being courteous, well-mannered, caring, protecting, etc. There shouldn’t be a gender for those nice gestures.

Quote:
Am I contradicting myself with this post? You betcha. All over the place!
Heheheh! That is why when women say they are all into traditions I ask if they really mean it .

Old 12-06-2010, 01:31 PM

37,667 posts, read 46,107,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onihC View Post
Some women have said they are all into following traditions which involves gender roles (a man’s job, a manly thing, etc.). It’s expecting a gender, in this case a man, to do something just because of his gender. I find it as bad as someone expecting women to stay in the kitchen just because she’s a woman. Somehow, for one reason or the other, a woman in the kitchen is no degrading and insulting to many, but expecting/demanding a man to take care of a woman is not.
Maybe you do, but I don't believe the majority of people (men and women) would agree with you. Proposing marriage is a traditional thing in and of itself. Most men want to be financially secure and have their own mental house in order before considering marriage. Like it or not, the men will generally be the ones that provide most of the financial support, and even more so if children are planned. (Obviously this is not always the case - I was the main breadwinner myself...but it still did not change the fact that I am the one that had the child and stayed home to care for him.) Most of us are happy with the man doing the proposing. It's fine that you aren't.

Quote:
I am not stuck in that era but it seems many women like the traditional roles that benefit them. There were a couple of responses here where women say they are traditionalists so that is why I asked how they see themselves in the kitchen or any other “traditional role”. That is for married couples. For a guy and a girl who are going out, I don’t see anything wrong with having a girl pay for my dinners, entertainment, etc. just like guys are expected/demanded to do. Not after a couple of months, not after I am tested, not after I prove that I am a nice guy, etc. But from day #1. Why wait to be nice to a guy instead of being nice and courteous right from the start?
If you ask a gal out, then you are inviting her to spend an evening with you as her host. That is why you pay. If she asks, then it would make sense for her to pay. I see nothing wrong with this. If you don't want to pay, then stop asking out women.

Quote:
I don’t see what would hold a woman to open my door, bring me a chair, hold an umbrella, etc. I don’t see what holds a gender from being courteous, well-mannered, caring, protecting, etc. There shouldn’t be a gender for those nice gestures.
Physically, the man is generally the stronger one. And that is where the "protection/chivalry" thing comes in...do you really not get that?? I don't think there are gender roles in nice gestures - I don't think anyone has said that but you.

Old 12-06-2010, 01:54 PM

6,548 posts, read 7,288,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Proposing marriage is a traditional thing in and of itself
Many career women can totally see it as something insulting for someone to dare himself say that a woman should do housechores and stay in the kitchen but the same women would be all for having men propose marriage, buy them their ring, go down on his knees, etc. So I ask again, which traditions do we keep and which ones go?

Quote:
Most men want to be financially secure and have their own mental house in order before considering marriage
Exactly. Men want to be ready financially, have a career/degree, have a house, etc. have it all ready to provide and take care of their woman. Not sure about women.

Quote:
Most of us are happy with the man doing the proposing. It's fine that you aren't
Of course women will be happy with the man doing the proposal and all the other “traditional manly” things. Can’t imagine women going against it. There may be an exception out there of course.

Quote:
If she asks, then it would make sense for her to pay
That is IF she asks which we all know its not as common as men asking women out. Still, from the Asian women that have asked me out I don’t use that as an excuse to just sit back and enjoy the freebies. I do my part. And if she just totally doesn’t accept my contribution I take care of the next one. I don’t wait months or “later on”, I make sure I do it on the next one.

Quote:
Physically, the man is generally the stronger one. And that is where the "protection/chivalry" thing comes in...do you really not get that? I don't think there are gender roles in nice gestures - I don't think anyone has said that but you.
If women are strong enough to carry big shopping bags, go to the gym, dance all night long, etc. I don’t see how opening a door for a man, bringing him a chair, holding an umbrella, etc. could be so difficult. I can understand trying to carry something beyond their capabilities but as for mutual chivalry, don’t see what holds women from reciprocating those gestures. Women are seen as the gender that is more suited for being nurturing. Wouldn’t it be pretty bad for men to say “Here, the baby can’t stop crying” just because it is assumed women are more nurturing? I mean, it’s a gender difference, right? How about having men do their part and just try to calm the crying baby instead of just taking the easy comfy way out while they play the man gender-card?

Old 12-06-2010, 02:16 PM

37,667 posts, read 46,107,056 times
Quote:
Many career women can totally see it as something insulting for someone to dare himself say that a woman should do housechores and stay in the kitchen but the same women would be all for having men propose marriage, buy them their ring, go down on his knees, etc. So I ask again, which traditions do we keep and which ones go?
You've missed my point. A man's proposing, is in fact something that works...for most people. It doesn't even compare with the ":women in the kitchen" thing. Most women do work now...the economy pretty much requires it. And for what it's worth, many men do enjoy cooking, so that puts them in the kitchen. Couples are going to do whatever works for them - and it will be different all across the board. You're trying to make a comparison between things that are not comparable.

Quote:
If women are strong enough to carry big shopping bags, go to the gym, dance all night long, etc. I don’t see how opening a door for a man, bringing him a chair, holding an umbrella, etc. could be so difficult. I can understand trying to carry something beyond their capabilities but as for mutual chivalry, don’t see what holds women from reciprocating those gestures. Women are seen as the gender that is more suited for being nurturing. Wouldn’t it be pretty bad for men to say “Here, the baby can’t stop crying” just because it is assumed women are more nurturing? I mean, it’s a gender difference, right? How about having men do their part and just try to calm the crying baby instead of just taking the easy comfy way out while they play the man gender-card?
No one has said that a women cannot hold a door. Good Lord. I hold a door for men all the freakin' time...as do most women. What, are you blind?? But pulling out a chair is simply a matter of chivalry. If I'm pulling out a chair for a man, then he's either elderly or sick. If you really fail to understand that, then I can't help you. Women ARE more nurturing. And yep...usually the mom can get the crying baby to sleep better. And yep, often this is what happens. You ever hear of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"? I totally get that you don't like the traditional burdens that society places on you for being a man. That comes across loud and clear. Sorry dude. Get a sex change operation and be happier.

Old 12-06-2010, 02:21 PM

6,926 posts, read 6,557,735 times
Quote:
a) ask a man out on a proper date?

c) be comfortable earning more than their SO?

d) be happy to now and then do the 'male' jobs around the house like fixing stuff if they need doing (i.e. replacing a lightbulb without calling for her man)

I have no idea myself so I'm wondering what your personal estimates are.
a. I have no asked a man out on a proper date.

b. I have not proposed to my fiance.

c. I have made more than my SO and felt very comfortable with it!

d. I have done 'male jobs' most of my life, much more than changing a lightbulb.

Last edited by hopedelivers; 12-06-2010 at 02:22 PM.. Reason: spelling error

Old 12-06-2010, 02:25 PM

1,994 posts, read 3,216,134 times
Quote:
For the women that said they would never propose to a man because that is a man’s job, gotta follow traditions, etc. If you are all into being traditional I suppose that if the relationship leads to marriage you are totally fine about being a traditional woman who does the house chores and spends more time in the kitchen while he reads the newspaper or watches tv, right? I mean, it’s part of traditions too.
I’m totally with you. Women’s lib and equality seems to only go as far as women want it to.

Suggest we can’t earn as much as you and there’s an outrage, suggest a woman proposes marriage and there’s even more an outrage. It’s so conditional. I’m a woman and even I’m confused!

Old 12-06-2010, 02:46 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,263,729 times
Quote:
a) ask a man out on a proper date?
> 75% Many women are now realizing that if they wait for the [certain] man to ask them out, it may never happen. Times are changing and many women under 45, perhaps 50 are not afraid to go after what they want.

Quote:
< 20% Despite women becoming more aggressive in pursuing relationships, many still desire to have the man propose.

Quote:
c) be comfortable earning more than their SO?
> 80% I know a few women who are upset they can no longer be a homemaker, but I have never met one that actually wanted to earn less than their man.

But, some may feel uncomfortable about it and hide their true wage from their SO.

Quote:
d) be happy to now and then do the 'male' jobs around the house like fixing stuff if they need doing (i.e. replacing a lightbulb without calling for her man).
< 30% I think most would be happy to do something every now and then, but I think it largely depends on their skill set.

I know a few [heterosexual] women that would insist on being the one to build the new deck, put up siding, etc. and would be dammed if any "man" tries to tell them otherwise, but I know more who simply wouldn't want to do so mainly because they would rather call in a professional in order to make sure the job got done right.

Now, of course I am not talking about changing a light bulb. That just seems a little chauvinistic, doesn't it?

Old 12-06-2010, 02:50 PM

4,941 posts, read 8,334,100 times
Men have penises and Women have vaginas. We are different for a reason or else we would all be one gender.

THE END!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships