Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2011, 06:37 AM

1,298 posts, read 2,238,675 times

Advertisements

SO and I recently set up housekeeping together. Last night, in passing conversation "marriage" came out of the blue.

We have discussed marriage in the past, mostly that neither of us were in a hurry and that neither of us needed that peice of paper to prove anything. If I were to get married, however, it would be with him. No doubts. We were being so heistant for several reasons, the main being that it would be #4 for us both.

He said we were already common-law, I don't know much on the legal side of things except for counting beans, and crunching numbers, if you will.

We have never presented ourselves as husband and wife. We do live in the same house, and of course there has been consummation.

So, with this information are we common-law married? If I'm going to be common law, I think I'd just go ahead with the whole legal beagle stuff, big party, we are going on a cruise in October, we could just make that our honeymoon.

My thoughts are if I'm going to be married in any way, might as well do it up right. Of course, if we are CLM, I guess it wouldn't hurt to stay that way for a few years..your thoughts? I hate to know Im married and I missed it.. LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2011, 06:43 AM

2,942 posts, read 6,006,998 times
As I recall, common-law married means you have co-habited with each other for a long enough period (say 10 years?) to be considered married in the eyes of state law. You would have to check with the state you reside in - each state has it's own laws. I know my cousins were common law married before officially getting married and they were living with each other for more than 10 years.

Old 05-06-2011, 06:53 AM

I just found this...

STATE-BY-STATE REQUIREMENTS TO FORM A COMMON LAW MARRIAGE:
Alabama: The requirements for a common-law marriage are: (1) capacity; (2) an agreement to be husband and wife; and (3) consummation of the marital relationship.

We don't have that agreement. The website I was on also says that time is not a requirement for any state. Interesting. It also says that if you present yourselves common-law, then if you split, a divorce has to take place. WOW!

Hmmm...

Old 05-06-2011, 07:06 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,874,219 times
Common law marriages aren't recognized in most US states anymore. In those where it still exists, both partners have to publicly recognize the relationship as a marriage (for example, referring to them as a husband or wife). You can't be in a common law marriage without knowing it and consenting to it.

Common-law marriage in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So no, even assuming you live in one of the few states which still recognizes it, since you do not present yourselves as husband and wife, it isn't a common law marriage.

Old 05-06-2011, 07:24 AM

Thanks PA2UK!!!

Old 05-06-2011, 09:55 AM

2,488 posts, read 4,321,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrmlyBklyn View Post
As I recall, common-law married means you have co-habited with each other for a long enough period (say 10 years?) to be considered married in the eyes of state law. You would have to check with the state you reside in - each state has it's own laws. I know my cousins were common law married before officially getting married and they were living with each other for more than 10 years.
I've been told it was 7 years.

Old 05-06-2011, 10:11 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,156,261 times
To be honest, I can't believe you're asking such a question... Many people visit a house for longer than you've lived there.

Old 05-06-2011, 10:14 AM

3,573 posts, read 6,474,224 times
My father was in a common law marriage in AZ and it was 7 years. Each State might be different.

Old 05-06-2011, 10:16 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,156,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donie1 View Post
My father was in a common law marriage in AZ and it was 7 years. Each State might be different.
AZ does not recognize common-law marriages.

Law For Seniors >

Family Law Research Guide: Arizona's Laws Concerning Marriage

Old 05-06-2011, 10:38 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,132,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by round4 View Post
SO and I recently set up housekeeping together. Last night, in passing conversation "marriage" came out of the blue.

We have discussed marriage in the past, mostly that neither of us were in a hurry and that neither of us needed that peice of paper to prove anything. If I were to get married, however, it would be with him. No doubts. We were being so heistant for several reasons, the main being that it would be #4 for us both.

He said we were already common-law, I don't know much on the legal side of things except for counting beans, and crunching numbers, if you will.

We have never presented ourselves as husband and wife. We do live in the same house, and of course there has been consummation.

So, with this information are we common-law married? If I'm going to be common law, I think I'd just go ahead with the whole legal beagle stuff, big party, we are going on a cruise in October, we could just make that our honeymoon.

My thoughts are if I'm going to be married in any way, might as well do it up right. Of course, if we are CLM, I guess it wouldn't hurt to stay that way for a few years..your thoughts? I hate to know Im married and I missed it.. LOL
One of the requirements to be considered "common law" is that you hold yourself out to be married. You call yourself Mr. and Mrs. So-and-so and you tell everyone that you are married, including your mailman, preacher, etc.

There may be other legal requirements as well, depending on your state. If you are truly interested in having this type of legal status you need to find out the particulars by either contacting an attorney or reading the statutes yourself.

Your statement that "...neither of us needed that peice [sic] of paper to prove anything." would indicated that your interest in a long-term commitment is doubtful.

The entire flavor of your posts lends me to think that both of you consider this a potentially temporary arrangement anyway and I seriously doubt that you will make the effort or take the trouble to do anything more than simply "shack up" until you separate in a drunken brawl or something better comes along.

Enjoy!

20yrsinBranson
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships