Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2010, 05:31 PM

262 posts, read 550,389 times

Advertisements

I like sarcasm and what we call ''dark/black humour''.
If a girl has the same humor, but also knows when not to do that it's good for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2010, 05:35 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,784,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max's mama View Post
I never even realized that...I wonder who his inspiration is.
I really enjoy when he gets into the topics of relationships/marriages and think he is quite funny, although I do agree that his voice could be very annoying.
I also dislike him as an actor, especially when he tries more serious parts. In the movie "Death At the Funeral", he was the least entertaining (or funny for that matter) out of the bunch.
He, like many other comedians, pluck material from different sources. Either other comedians who aren't well known, or from books, old movies, songs etc. Remember the bit he did about how a girl knows if she'll sleep with you within the first five minutes of meeting a man? He got that from Fast Times at Ridgemont High. Not a huge deal to me, because I thought it was funny when he said it, but one thing I appreciate in a comic is their creativity. I like some of Dane Cook's material, but he's another one who is known for taking material from other comics. Not a big deal if you can do it better and make it funnier, but when asked about it, it doesn't hurt to give credit where it's due. Ok, I'm taking my comedy way too seriously now.

Old 12-30-2010, 05:40 PM

3,622 posts, read 5,815,237 times
I can't believe I left this out of my earlier list. Larry Miller's 5 Stages of drinking. One of my favorite comedy bits!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=piPyfqAKf6o

Old 12-30-2010, 05:43 PM

9,444 posts, read 17,385,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
He, like many other comedians, pluck material from different sources. Either other comedians who aren't well known, or from books, old movies, songs etc. Remember the bit he did about how a girl knows if she'll sleep with you within the first five minutes of meeting a man? He got that from Fast Times at Ridgemont High. Not a huge deal to me, because I thought it was funny when he said it, but one thing I appreciate in a comic is their creativity. I like some of Dane Cook's material, but he's another one who is known for taking material from other comics. Not a big deal if you can do it better and make it funnier, but when asked about it, it doesn't hurt to give credit where it's due. Ok, I'm taking my comedy way too seriously now.
Well that's because you know your comedy!!!! I'm not familiar with too many comedians, I'm still fairly new to the whole American comedy scene and that's probably why I wouldn't know if the material is borrowed. I just laugh my ass off if something is really funny.

Old 01-21-2011, 09:47 AM

13,630 posts, read 10,031,964 times
Much of humour died when political correctness, or rather, incorrectness came in. We in Britain have numerous stand up comedians, none of which are funny anymore. When you see some of the old stuff, you see how things have changed, you spend a lot of time saying, “That wouldn’t be allowed now”, but it was funny at the time, and no one got too offended, not intentionally anyway. It just seems that the only humour that is allowed these days has to include, swearing, stupidity, self mockery, and generally a long work up to an unfunny punch line.

Old 01-21-2011, 12:32 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,165,927 times
My humor tends to be offbeat (Monty Python) to bawdy to farce. My favorite writer is P.G. Wodehouse if that tells you much. I also like a lot of political humor that nails both sides of the aisle. And I thought Arrested Development was one of the funniest things ever made.

Two categories I don't like are slapstick and potty humor. For example, I hate the Three Stooges.

Last edited by cpg35223; 01-21-2011 at 12:43 PM..

Old 01-21-2011, 12:49 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,112,482 times
I have an unusual sense of humor: I detest straight slapstick. Take your 3-stooges and bury them; but give me a short dose of the Marx Brothers and I'll wet myself. I think British humor is hysterical except when it's Monty Snake or that other guy from the 70s - usually sexual dumb stuff. I found the nincompoops on Saturday Night stupid about as funny as the 3 stooges - with maybe 1 or 2 exceptions. The Great Dane was......great; Rich Little was fantastic; but that nasty Don Rickles was not for me. Carol Burnett and her regulars can still make me laugh to tears even though I've seen the skits 20 or more times.

Old 01-21-2011, 12:59 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,632,033 times
I like witty banter... I LOVE watching Top Gear because of the banter between the hosts, and things like Monty Python crack me up.

Old 01-21-2011, 09:06 PM

1,090 posts, read 1,834,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sydney1987 View Post
no.
hahahhah i find this really funny now.

i like anything witty.

Old 01-22-2011, 01:19 AM

380 posts, read 833,397 times
I just like funny people!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neemy View Post
I admit that I loved Fresh Prince. Will Smith is really funny.
But Jazz & Carlton stole the show!! They always had me rolling!

Frank Burns & Henry Blake of M*A*S*H, Sometimes just looking at them before they uttered a line cracked me up, which reminds me - and Klinger of course!

Leslie Nelson's baseball game scenes with the California Angels in Naked gun, both umpire and opera singer scenes.

The vaccum cleaner scene in Mr. Mom (Mike Keaton)....Stuff like this had me in tears

Oh yes, the old Looney Tunes! Especially the one with Porky Pig & the chickens, when he had Bing Crosby & Frank Sinatra come in!

Last edited by Pamina333; 01-22-2011 at 01:27 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships