Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2011, 09:41 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,737,789 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skadi View Post
i read that when men say they are not ready for marriage yet that it merely means that they are not ready for marriage with the one they are currently in a relationship with...but they could very well be married to the next girlfriend if she is the right one...
it is not so black-and-white. i think your typical 20 or 25 year old guy needs a lot of pressure from the woman, in order to be serious about marriage. The relationship might be great, but the commitment holds very little appeal.

i think as men get older, the idea of marriage becomes more appealing, and we don't need to be pushed into it quite so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2011, 09:48 AM

6,562 posts, read 8,396,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
it is not so black-and-white. i think your typical 20 or 25 year old guy needs a lot of pressure from the woman, in order to be serious about marriage. For some guys I know, the girl had to threaten to leave him.

i think as men get older, the idea of marriage becomes more appealing, and we don't need to be pushed into it quite so much.
Agreed. Perhaps with the other goals he wishes to accomplish, he hasn't even thought about marriage yet and the question may have caught him off-guard.

Old 01-13-2011, 10:04 AM

7,364 posts, read 14,676,925 times
Quote:
I think its the opposite because he has no reason to hold back in a conversation with a guy friend, so in other words, he would be more honest with a guy friend than with me.

lovesMountains, i dont expect him to marry me now and i can certainly wait, but his answer could have been more like "marriage is not an option right now as i dont feel ready yet, but sometime in the future...why not?"

the answer he gave to his friend sounds more like he cant see himself married to me at all, EVEN IF he was established financially and career-wise
But I thought it was her friend, not his. If it were his friend, he would not have reported back to her.

Old 01-13-2011, 10:12 AM

57 posts, read 105,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OngletNYC View Post
But I thought it was her friend, not his. If it were his friend, he would not have reported back to her.
my bf talked to HIS guy friend, he told his gf, she told me

Old 01-13-2011, 10:22 AM

6,421 posts, read 7,670,347 times
It takes two years, sometimes more, to really get to know someone so don't rush into anything. Maybe you should focus on your studies also so that no matter what he does, you will be prepared to take care of yourself. Guys mature at different rates than females so give it time. Have you considered why you are thinking about marriage so soon? Go out and enjoy life, when the time and person is right, nothing can stand in the way.

Old 01-13-2011, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi60 View Post
Have you considered why you are thinking about marriage so soon?
yes i have.

because of this:

Quote:
when the time and person is right, nothing can stand in the way.
if he could see himself with me on his side in the future, he wouldnt be second-guessing marrying me. just like you said.

Old 01-13-2011, 10:31 AM

8,679 posts, read 15,270,611 times
Quote:
yes i have.

because of this:

if he could see himself with me on his side in the future, he wouldnt be second-guessing marrying me. just like you said.
You've been dating him less than a year. He hasn't had time to know whether you're the right person, and if he's still in school, it's definitely not the right time.

Old 01-13-2011, 10:35 AM

i know, and like ive said before, he doesnt need to marry me right NOW. but he should already know if he could see himself married to me or not. his answer was so wishy-washy. indifferent. i deserve to (and should) marry someone who is head over heels in love with me, a man who cannot wait to marry me. getting married shouldn't be a chore that he dreads. but thats exactly what his answer sounded like.

and i dont want to waste time with investing more into this emotionally if he doesnt see me as the one.

Old 01-13-2011, 10:52 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,739,056 times
Quote:
i know, and like ive said before, he doesnt need to marry me right NOW. but he should already know if he could see himself married to me or not. his answer was so wishy-washy. indifferent. i deserve to (and should) marry someone who is head over heels in love with me, a man who cannot wait to marry me. getting married shouldn't be a chore that he dreads. but thats exactly what his answer sounded like.

and i dont want to waste time with investing more into this emotionally if he doesnt see me as the one.

How old are you?

Old 01-13-2011, 10:53 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,170,643 times
I think it's pretty safe to say that anybody who uses the expression "M word" as if it's the "F word" won't marry you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships