Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2011, 08:38 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,694,356 times

Advertisements

Some days I wonder what the point is in trying to find a person anymore. I can't seem to make any of the connections I make turn into friendships. People seem to just take a passing interest in me. And I always blow it with women - always. There have been a couple times where a girl has been interested in me and I just don't do anything about it. Hell, there was this girl I've mentioned umpteen times now on this forum who at first seemed really nice and we had some nice conversations, then somehow it just never went anywhere and we stopped talking. I have had a girlfriend, but we ended things. Do I miss her? No. She was too much to handle for a multitude of reasons. What I do miss is feeling like I matter to someone beyond my family.

I've tried telling this to the few friends I have but it doesn't really help. I don't even feel comfortable telling this to most of my friends, and the few that I am comfortable telling this to are just as bad as me.

Does anyone else feel like there's very little point in going on? Despite all that I just said I still wanna succeed in school, get a good job and at least live a decent life even if I'm alone. It's just that after having had one social failure after another, I'm questioning if it's a fool's errand to keep on trying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2011, 08:45 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,617,939 times
Yes, it will not get better till you give up. And you should not be looking for love when in school.
When you quit trying is when you will finally loose the scent of desperation that is attached to you. There is a lot of people out there and no need to make compromises or concessions.

Old 01-18-2011, 08:50 PM

3,576 posts, read 10,658,517 times
Yep, every day.

Old 01-18-2011, 08:59 PM

37,617 posts, read 46,006,789 times
It's not a fool's errand. Good GOD man...you are very very young yet...and already you are wondering if "that is all there is". How does someone so young get to be so disappointed with life? When I was 18, I guess I had had a few boyfriends...though all were relatively short-lived affairs (as they usually are at that age). No real love came along until 19, and even then, I'd skip that one if I could have a do-over.

Seriously...you have your whole dang life ahead of you. Good grief give it a chance.

Old 01-18-2011, 08:59 PM

4,868 posts, read 8,411,220 times
meh, I gave up a long time ago, though I always have my eyes open. Too many good men in my town are already married by 25. I'll have to wait till I graduate when I'm 27 and can move to a city with more single young professionals, and maybe then it'll get better.

In a nutshell, I feel you! but you're younger than me and you're male, you will get the ladies soon enough!

Old 01-18-2011, 09:05 PM

@Chessie and Mir, people have been telling me that things will get better than to keep giving life a chance but so far that hasn't happened. First high school was supposed to be better than middle school, then college is supposed to be better than high school (and in a way it is, but not socially), then what?

Old 01-18-2011, 09:05 PM

3,573 posts, read 6,475,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
Some days I wonder what the point is in trying to find a person anymore. I can't seem to make any of the connections I make turn into friendships. People seem to just take a passing interest in me. And I always blow it with women - always. There have been a couple times where a girl has been interested in me and I just don't do anything about it. Hell, there was this girl I've mentioned umpteen times now on this forum who at first seemed really nice and we had some nice conversations, then somehow it just never went anywhere and we stopped talking. I have had a girlfriend, but we ended things. Do I miss her? No. She was too much to handle for a multitude of reasons. What I do miss is feeling like I matter to someone beyond my family.

I've tried telling this to the few friends I have but it doesn't really help. I don't even feel comfortable telling this to most of my friends, and the few that I am comfortable telling this to are just as bad as me.

Does anyone else feel like there's very little point in going on? Despite all that I just said I still wanna succeed in school, get a good job and at least live a decent life even if I'm alone. It's just that after having had one social failure after another, I'm questioning if it's a fool's errand to keep on trying.

You have another thread going on about being a loner. Very good advice in that thread. You need to make up your mind that you want to change your situation in life. Read books on how to interact with people, get affirmation books, relationship books, etc. Find something that really interest you and you'd like to learn how to do that. Or find a history era that you love and read all about it. Find something interesting to learn.

Once you have something to talk about, then you can meet up with people that share your interest and be able to talk about the subject.

It's your life, you can change it but you have to make the first step no matter how hard it is.

Old 01-18-2011, 09:08 PM

3,573 posts, read 6,475,416 times
Also you are so obsessing about having a girlfriend that you're not looking around you and enjoying your life NOW. Don't get desperate, overanalyze, needy or any other trait that turns people off. Just be yourself and enjoy your life.

Old 01-18-2011, 09:14 PM

4,868 posts, read 8,411,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
@Chessie and Mir, people have been telling me that things will get better than to keep giving life a chance but so far that hasn't happened. First high school was supposed to be better than middle school, then college is supposed to be better than high school (and in a way it is, but not socially), then what?
It will! Have faith in yourself man! You sound like a smart kid who is hard working and has a lot to offer someone. Trust me, someone will be attracted to you! College is supposed to be fun, regardless of how dating goes. Go out there and have fun, join school clubs (I joined dance and made TONS of lasting friendships), network for a job prospect upon graduation and you'll expand your social network and who knows where (or who) that could you to.

Old 01-18-2011, 09:24 PM

I've tried joining school clubs but almost all of them meet late. As any commuter will tell you, that isn't a good thing. I am active in one club though. But like every other endeavor to make friends, it hasn't resulted in much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships