Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2011, 09:31 PM

17,869 posts, read 21,029,608 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
Hey you can enjoy superstitious fairy tales all you want, but if you seriously base your decisions on astrology and astrological signs then you're an idiot, bottom line. If it's something you do FOR FUN and just to see what it says? Awesome, have at it, that can be fun as long as it's silly and playful and you know what it is. But if you meet a guy you really like and he seems great and you read in the newspaper that morning that he's not the right sign for you, and so you dump him, you're a complete retard.
This guy picks his words like a champ.

Now I agree to an extent, you shouldn't base your relationships on just astrology alone. It's a bit too gypsy like for me.

But, if they take it into some consideration along with the other positives the guy has, and they outweigh whatever negatives he has, then I think it's fine since it wasn't a huge deal-breaker.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2011, 09:33 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,980,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Wow! I hope you're really that happy together!
Besides a short period of craziness hahaha yeah we really are

Old 04-18-2011, 09:48 PM

896 posts, read 1,858,713 times
Quote:
Hey you can enjoy superstitious fairy tales all you want, but if you seriously base your decisions on astrology and astrological signs then you're an idiot, bottom line. If it's something you do FOR FUN and just to see what it says? Awesome, have at it, that can be fun as long as it's silly and playful and you know what it is. But if you meet a guy you really like and he seems great and you read in the newspaper that morning that he's not the right sign for you, and so you dump him, you're a complete retard.

I think most of us talking on this thread definitely believe in astrology. Were realistic enough not to live our lives exclusively by it though. I implement astrology into my life, a lot, but I dont ultimately make a decision solely based on it. I would never refrain from dating someone just because of what their sign was. I just find it insightful and even useful as far as connecting with another person goes.

Is astrology really a science? I dont know. It used to be. And if its not anymore than im fine with calling it a pseudo-science. I completely understand when people dont believe in it and think its a bunch of crap and I never push it on anyone. I just find subtle, discreet ways of finding out peoples birthdays.

Old 04-18-2011, 10:08 PM

5,126 posts, read 7,426,527 times
Quote:
But if you meet a guy you really like and he seems great and you read in the newspaper that morning that he's not the right sign for you, and so you dump him, you're a complete retard.
When you want to diss something, it's best to learn about it first so as not to look like a "complete [mod cut]".

People who are into astrology don't look at a newspaper to see if someone is the right sign for them.

People who are into astrology know that you can't go by anything as simplistic as sun signs because they are but one dimension of a natal chart.

The only way to use astrology to judge romantic compatibility is with the study of synastry, which is very complex.

Last edited by mrstewart; 04-18-2011 at 10:09 PM.. Reason: no name calling, please.

Old 04-18-2011, 10:17 PM

7,087 posts, read 8,656,916 times
LOL, that's really all I can say. That's laughable to think you can look at signs and judge a person, honestly. Like oh wow let's make a sweeping generalization of this huge group of people and it's going to be true! No, it isn't going to be. It's both unfair and ridiculous. It would be the same as a racist in my opinion, making generalizations about someone based on some outward appearance they can't even help. You may be able to say, "Well African Americans can jump higher on average," which is true, or "Asians score higher on IQ tests," which is also true, but to say, "Well I don't date dem dar Latinos because they're all violent!" Just not a fair statement, nor is it fair to say you're "not compatible" with Libras or something like that.
[mod cut]

Last edited by mrstewart; 04-18-2011 at 10:20 PM.. Reason: sweeping generalizations, huh?

Old 04-18-2011, 10:25 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,980,572 times
Quote:
LOL, that's really all I can say. That's laughable to think you can look at signs and judge a person, honestly. Like oh wow let's make a sweeping generalization of this huge group of people and it's going to be true! No, it isn't going to be. It's both unfair and ridiculous. It would be the same as a racist in my opinion, making generalizations about someone based on some outward appearance they can't even help. You may be able to say, "Well African Americans can jump higher on average," which is true, or "Asians score higher on IQ tests," which is also true, but to say, "Well I don't date dem dar Latinos because they're all violent!" Just not a fair statement, nor is it fair to say you're "not compatible" with Libras or something like that.
[mod cut]
But no one is saying they do this. No offense, but the only thing people are saying is how ignorant you look with your statements.

Old 04-19-2011, 12:39 AM

896 posts, read 1,858,713 times
I honestly dont even think we make generalizations about anything. Like, we do in casual talk, like "oh you know those libras" or whatever. But when were picking something apart, were narrowing it down to specific placements. You make it sound like we think theres only 12 types of people in this world. Really, theres infinite types of people in astrology seeing as everybodies unique in their precise birthtime and location, if you really wanted to break it down to the precise milisecond you were born, I feel like that would technically have some kind of alternation on your personality from someone else, even if its not discernable.

If you dont understand astrology thats completely fine. If you dislike it and think its stupid thats fine. The topic of the forum is Do You Use Astrology in Determining Relationships and youve stated youre stance and thats fine. You dont need to condemn anyone as a potential idiot or retard. You could be slightly more respectful.

Old 04-19-2011, 03:04 AM

3,751 posts, read 7,690,515 times
Default We are all idiots....

Quote:
So then you are saying that the ancient Egyptians were all idiots...you are saying that Carl Jung was an idiot...
Well then, I'm saying that you are the ignorant one.

I get quite annoyed by the people that make such statements as you have in this discussion because they have a 'know it all' opinion without ever taking the time to know it all.
What study of astrology have you done? I say none because you mentioned newspaper horoscopes....everyone here in this discussion will tell you that those horoscopes are bogus. WAY to general and only a tiny portion of the bigger picture. -oops- just read back....had not read the other posts after reading the one I quote....since I am just repeating what others have already said....I'll just leave you with....go read some books about astrology, then come back, maybe then we can have a nice discussion.

Old 04-19-2011, 03:16 AM

7,087 posts, read 8,656,916 times
You only need to read the scientific literature to know what complete bunk it all is. If that's too difficult for you, no wonder this country is going down the drain. It's called facts and science. It's important people be able to separate fantasy from reality, but since most people believe in an all-loving, all-judging god in the sky who had a zombie son, it's not surprising they'd fall for something as silly as astrology too. It's just disappointing because humans are capable of so much better, and to fall for something lame like that is a waste of your intellectual talents.

Old 04-19-2011, 08:51 AM

5,126 posts, read 7,426,527 times
Jonathan, I am agnostic and a skeptic. I already said in a previous message that I didn't believe in astrology until I saw my own chart.

You don't seem to realize that you are attributing things to astrology that simply are not true. How many times do we have to say that it is not as simple as sun signs? Every person has a unique natal chart.

Yet you keep harping on us lumping people into a few categories.

I don't think you're listening.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships