Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2011, 12:22 AM

746 posts, read 1,677,837 times

Advertisements

I'll explain: For a long time I didn't date because I had two really bad relationships, one right after the other. After the last one crashed and burned, I swore off seeking women for quite some time. I couldn't be bothered with the stress of a relationship. I simply didn't want to handle any future possible negatives, no matter how minor they might be. For me, it didn't seem to be worth it. Maybe it was just me, but I seemed to attract the crazies and it was painful for my brain. I just couldn't handle it.
I actually lost a chance with a great gal; I actually turned her down. I remember I told her straight up I was worried about anything remotely stressful, and my brain wouldn't be able to handle it.

So my question is this: Do you avoid dating because of the stress a relationship puts on you? Have you had a string of bad relationships that have taxed you to the limit? I understand my past has negatively affected future chances, I\m not okay with that but I accept it.
Stories?

Last edited by The_gateway; 02-02-2011 at 01:25 AM.. Reason: missed somethin
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2011, 12:36 AM

3,226 posts, read 6,642,752 times
Yes and no. I date but right now I am not in committed relationships but more or less "open relationships" with the women I am with. I don't stay committed because of pay relationships and right not it is too taxing for me personally. I have so much I need to put together in life, accomplish and want to see, I'm not ready to be with a girl and settle down. On top of that, I really do love women and being with different types. Call it "womenizing" or whatever but they know what they're getting themselves into and vice versa.

Also, I'm very happy being single and not having to always worry about jealousy, having to always go out my etc. I love the liberty I have right now and I love not feeling exclusive. I'm 24 and I'm not trying to rush anything.

Old 02-02-2011, 01:04 AM

5,546 posts, read 10,006,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_gateway View Post
I'll explain: For a long time years ago I didn't date because I had two really bad relationships, one right after the other. After the last one crashed and burned, I swore off seeking women for quite some time. I couldn't be bothered with the stress of a relationship. I simply didn't want to handle any future possible negatives, no matter how minor they might be. For me, it didn't seem to be worth it. Maybe it was just me, but I seemed to attract the crazies and it was painful for my brain. I just couldn't handle it.
I actually lost a chance with a great gal; I actually turned her down. I remember I told her straight up I was worried about anything remotely stressful, and my brain wouldn't be able to handle it.

So my question is this: Do you avoid dating because of the stress a relationship puts on you? Have you had a string of bad relationships that have taxed you to the limit? Stories?
Yes, and this is why I expect to never go out on a date the rest of my life. And I REALLY mean this. And I am pretty sure this is how it'll turn out.

Old 02-02-2011, 01:12 AM

9,230 posts, read 16,556,669 times
I'm in a committed relationship now with a wonderful man, but the ones before him, for the most part, weren't so wonderful. I never thought dating was too much trouble though, I didn't swear it off. I probably should have.

Now, if my hunny and I didn't make it for some reason, I might decide to stay single. When I met him, I wasn't really looking for love or commitment so, while I don't like the idea of being without him, I do like the idea of being alone....if that makes any sense.

Old 02-02-2011, 01:44 AM

1,786 posts, read 2,880,674 times
I will never say never... I have always kept one meeting... dating apart from the other. I love the comment about being "upfront" with what you are looking for in a dating situation. That is not always the case. Many men I've met claim to be looking for "the love that will surprise them" when really all they are looking for is a regular roll in the hay LOL... I guess the great thing about being older and wiser is seeing this "ploy" a mile away .... I never get discouraged but do go out with a group of close friends much more often... guaranteed a great time and many laughs... if a relationship happens it happens but I will enjoy laughter and friends and of course the great outdoors as often as possible. :0

Old 02-02-2011, 07:23 AM

4,103 posts, read 7,030,445 times
I'm married right now but should that ever change for whatever reason I would absolutely NOT date. I'm not a person who has to be in a relationship plus after hearing all of the dating horror stories I know I no longer have the patience for it.

Last edited by carlitasway; 02-02-2011 at 07:32 AM..

Old 02-02-2011, 07:26 AM

1,646 posts, read 2,374,924 times
I do not date. I am very busy with school and work and my wonderful life, and honestly dating is not worth the hassle.

If God wants me to meet a great guy he will send him my way. I will not have to look for him.

Old 02-02-2011, 07:26 AM

1,090 posts, read 1,835,387 times
The only bad times I've had was when I sought unmet needs in another person (love, acceptance, happiness, success). Once I found those things within myself and for myself, things have been rapidly improving.

Why is a relationship stressful to you? You shouldn't be trying to drive it towards anything or be expecting someone else to make you happy/content in life. Even if that person walks away or does something hurtful, it really isn't the end of the world.

Old 02-02-2011, 07:28 AM

1,090 posts, read 1,835,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lital_The_Best View Post
Yes and no. I date but right now I am not in committed relationships but more or less "open relationships" with the women I am with. I don't stay committed because of pay relationships and right not it is too taxing for me personally. I have so much I need to put together in life, accomplish and want to see, I'm not ready to be with a girl and settle down. On top of that, I really do love women and being with different types. Call it "womenizing" or whatever but they know what they're getting themselves into and vice versa.

Also, I'm very happy being single and not having to always worry about jealousy, having to always go out my etc. I love the liberty I have right now and I love not feeling exclusive. I'm 24 and I'm not trying to rush anything.
you must be really attractive. good for you.

Old 02-02-2011, 07:34 AM

1,176 posts, read 2,197,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_gateway View Post
I'll explain: For a long time I didn't date because I had two really bad relationships, one right after the other. After the last one crashed and burned, I swore off seeking women for quite some time. I couldn't be bothered with the stress of a relationship. I simply didn't want to handle any future possible negatives, no matter how minor they might be. For me, it didn't seem to be worth it. Maybe it was just me, but I seemed to attract the crazies and it was painful for my brain. I just couldn't handle it.

So my question is this: Do you avoid dating because of the stress a relationship puts on you? Have you had a string of bad relationships that have taxed you to the limit? I understand my past has negatively affected future chances, I\m not okay with that but I accept it.
Stories?
Yes, the "trouble" I'd get into with my wife would make it not worth it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships