Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2011, 09:33 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,170,643 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
But there's always the latest invention, a hero story, a high school sports victory, that kind of thing.
Boy, it seems to be harder and harder to find such topics these days...

Old 02-09-2011, 09:38 AM

1,561 posts, read 2,205,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Even the weather isn't safe!
It sure the heck ain't. I am gazing at about 1 and 1/2 foot outside of snow with more coming down by the minute. It is not only not safe it is damn irritating .

I personally hate long phone conversations since I believe a phone should be used for conveying information. I always feel awkward if the other party is trying to pass the time by meaningless chatter. Without the person being there you (speaking for myself) lose all the physical mannerisms and companionship that makes for smooth conversational flow. It is compounded when you share no background of things done together. Such as what Knight is engaging in.

My older sister is not happy with me because when she calls I do not say much to her. She dissapered from the family when she was in college and married a man that made her cut all connections. It took 36 years before I spoke to her again and since I was only 5 when she left there is very few shared family memories and experiences. She is a great person but she lives 1000's of miles away and there is little in common to form communication around. In order to converse for more than relaying information concerning how life is going and the status of other relatives it means awkward silences.
[mod cut-- edited at the poster's request]

Last edited by observer53; 02-09-2011 at 12:01 PM..

Old 02-09-2011, 09:44 AM

5,460 posts, read 7,762,387 times
[quote=MattB4;17794554]It sure the heck ain't. I am gazing at about 1 and 1/2 foot outside of snow with more coming down by the minute. It is not only not safe it is damn irritating .

I personally hate long phone conversations since I believe a phone should be used for conveying information. I always feel awkward if the other party is trying to pass the time by meaningless chatter. Without the person being there you (speaking for myself) lose all the physical mannerisms and companionship that makes for smooth conversational flow.

My older sister is not happy with me because when she calls I do not say much to her. She dissapered from the family when she was in college and married a man that made her cut all connections. It took 36 years before I spoke to her again and since I was only 5 when she left there is very few shared family memories and experiences. She is a great person but she lives 1000's of miles away and there is little in common to form communication around. In order to converse for more than relaying information concerning how life is going and the status of other relatives it means awkward silences. [mod cut--deleted from original post] [/quote]

[mod cut-- response to deleted material]
(As I mentioned, the original question has applied to other past relationships as well, and will likely apply to potential future ones as well...hence the question is multi-faceted.)

Last edited by observer53; 02-09-2011 at 12:04 PM..

Old 02-09-2011, 09:50 AM

946 posts, read 2,918,677 times
Well, if I'm in a new relationship, I would avoid talking to that person for hours on end every single day, it kind of takes out of the excitement and mystery of being with that person, and that way, when we are together, we have tons of things to say . And of course, like it's been pointed out, the more in common you have, the easier the conversation will flow.

Old 02-09-2011, 09:54 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,165,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight2009 View Post
How do you not run out of things/topics to talk about, with a romantic partner? I mean, if you talk to them every day, for long periods of time and on a daily basis, there are only a finite number of subjects someone can talk about, right?

If you were ever in the position of trying to think and jog your mind about what other things to talk about with them, how were you able to successfully compensate exactly, if you're having a mind blank about what else to say?

Just curious?
Here's a thought. If you really are with someone, there are times when you don't have to say anything at all. Why fill up every moment with conversation?

My wife and I once went on vacation to an all-inclusive in Mexico. We were both exhausted by working and raising three small kids. We got off the plane, checked into the resort, and then proceeded to sit on the beach and read books for five solid days. We didn't go on the boat rides. We didn't parasail. We didn't tour the Mayan ruins. We just sat there and read in the shade while seemingly-telepathic hotel staff brought us drinks. There was one day where, during the day, we might have said twenty words to each other, ranging from "Want another drink?" to "I'm taking a nap."

And it was great.

In short, talk when you feel like talking. There is a sense of peace in being with someone whom you don't have to entertain nonstop. Not only is there nothing more exhausting than a chatterbox in your life 24/7 but, over time, it also makes you discount every thing that person says.

Old 02-09-2011, 09:59 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
1. Don't be afraid of silence. You don't constantly have to be talking.
2. If both of you are always improving yourselves and learning new things, you can share this...I love hearing about something my wife read or learned, etc.
3. Get with someone you like doing stuff with. The activity itself is quality time together bonding without necessarily having to have oodles of deep conversation at the same time.

I dunno...I guess I have never been in a relationship where there wasn't decent conversation...but I am always learning and doing, so I always have something new to talk about (and I am attracted to the same kind of person).

Old 02-09-2011, 10:12 AM

1,176 posts, read 2,196,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight2009 View Post
My IQ is 135, so I don't really think that qualifies as "mentally challenged". I'm sorry some ppl think I'm weird; I certainly don't mean to be.

But in any case, the original post here asks a very specific question, which as I also mentioned, has been applicable to other previous relationships as well. In any case, it is not my objective at all here to ask provocative questions in any way, or to get the thread closed. Just asking for some advice is all, which can potentially apply to any number of relationships, past or present.

ETA: again many thanks for your kind comments whoohoo!
six figure salary, almost genious, kind, loving, yada yada yada. how on earth have you stayed single so long? i'm starting to fall in love myself here. if you were really dumb as a teenager this girl could be your daughter. Now that would make a good movie! 34 y/o virgin hooks up with long lost daughter. it would at least qualify for a lifetime movie. the adoptive parents come home to find their daughter holding hands with an older man...

Old 02-09-2011, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkrplr1 View Post
six figure salary, almost genious, kind, loving, yada yada yada. how on earth have you stayed single so long? i'm starting to fall in love myself here. if you were really dumb as a teenager this girl could be your daughter. Now that would make a good movie! 34 y/o virgin hooks up with long lost daughter. it would at least qualify for a lifetime movie. the adoptive parents come home to find their daughter holding hands with an older man...
Again...please stay on topic, to the original question, in this thread

What you are mentioning above, was in relation to an earlier, closed thread. This is a new thread, "neutral" question asked. OK?

Old 02-09-2011, 10:56 AM

[mod cut-- quote of deleted post]
I will repeat...I asked a neutral question...neutral, b/c it has actually appled to more than one relationship (i.e., past and present). In fact, same thing applied, in relationship b/4 this one. It is applicable to more than just things from previous threads (and I only have 1 relationship, at a time also, in case there was any question about that also).

What's the problem here?

Last edited by observer53; 02-09-2011 at 12:11 PM..

Old 02-09-2011, 11:06 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,739,056 times
[mod cut-- deleted quote]

Let's stay on topic...I agreed with cpg's post - sometimes it's just so nice not to HAVE to talk/chat with your partner. There is something to be said for being so comfortable in their presence that silence is golden

Last edited by observer53; 02-09-2011 at 12:10 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships