Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2011, 04:58 PM

1,090 posts, read 1,834,539 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trekfan View Post
So now I have to be madly infatuated with a woman to be passionate? I don't think so.

I guess some few experience lifelong infatuation but for myself and most others I should think, it always fades in time. So I guess you think the point is to find a girl that makes me all gitty and tingly on the inside, marry her eventually, enjoy a few years of passion, and then wake up one day, realize that feeling is not really there anymore, and work to maintain/improve a relationship with someone that-unless I was pretty lucky-really isn't someone I would like to be with almost every day for the rest of my life absent that feeling of infatuation...

No thanks...
Well the whole point of falling in love is to remember how it felt to fall in love. I mean, if I fell in love with a guy, even if the feeling fades and is replaced by another form of love... it's nice to remember why I got together with someone in the first place. When I remember, I would rather not have it sound like a business transaction or a clear column of pros/cons concerning a really good friend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2011, 04:59 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,758,329 times
All this passion and giddyness helps make babies

That is the real reason for it early on and most humans stay together an average of 2 years before the passion wains....

Then you have the loving, lucky couples who deeply love eachother with great passion and affection that last many years....

Then you also have those that stay together for many years, love eachother but the sex and romance becomes routine ...almost boring...

Old 02-18-2011, 05:00 PM

20,797 posts, read 9,744,493 times
Of course it matters. It would be a very long sad lifetime together if there were none. I think there is a lot of it out there.
Why would anyone NOT want it?

Old 02-18-2011, 05:02 PM

1,090 posts, read 1,834,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyworld View Post
Of course it matters. It would be a very long sad lifetime together if there were none. I think there is a lot of it out there.
Why would anyone NOT want it?
if somebody gave up and/or thought they weren't worth it, then i guess they wouldnt want it. everyone deserves to find a real love, with chemistry

Old 02-18-2011, 05:03 PM

4,721 posts, read 5,313,615 times
If you get together without love and chemisty, you already have the boring marriage you claim most people wind up with. Why would you marry at all then? I know I don't want marriage, if I can't have it all...the whirlwind craziness of passion plus the shared interests that help keep us together.

Old 02-18-2011, 05:08 PM

20,797 posts, read 9,744,493 times
"Then you have the loving, lucky couples who deeply love eachother with great passion and affection that last many years...."

I will admit I am one of the lucky ones. We will be married 34 years next month. Life is a rollercoaster...enjoy the ride

Old 02-18-2011, 05:11 PM

4,721 posts, read 5,313,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyworld View Post
"Then you have the loving, lucky couples who deeply love eachother with great passion and affection that last many years...."

I will admit I am one of the lucky ones. We will be married 34 years next month. Life is a rollercoaster...enjoy the ride

Good for you.

Old 02-18-2011, 06:48 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,965,098 times
Yes, being "in-love" is an essentia part of "chemistry". But chemistry actually has 5 facets to it. So love/passion is only one of those five. You have to have all 5 aspects of chemistry for a happy, long lasting relationship. A very practical book was written about this. I think it should be required reading for high school graduation. Although it's written for straight women, 90% of the book is applicable to anyone, gay straight, male or female:

Amazon.com: Is He Mr. Right?: Everything You Need to Know Before You Commit: Mira Kirshenbaum: Books

Old 02-19-2011, 06:26 AM

1,300 posts, read 2,572,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trekfan View Post
So now I have to be madly infatuated with a woman to be passionate? I don't think so.

I guess some few experience lifelong infatuation but for myself and most others I should think, it always fades in time. So I guess you think the point is to find a girl that makes me all gitty and tingly on the inside, marry her eventually, enjoy a few years of passion, and then wake up one day, realize that feeling is not really there anymore, and work to maintain/improve a relationship with someone that-unless I was pretty lucky-really isn't someone I would like to be with almost every day for the rest of my life absent that feeling of infatuation...

No thanks...
Number one, infactuation and being in love is not the same thing. Look it up.
Number two, Trekkie aren't you a teenager or some sociopathic young adult who doesn't believe that love exist?

Old 02-19-2011, 08:13 AM

1,206 posts, read 2,928,041 times
Passion usually is high in the beginning of the relationship. Id say "chemistry" is a mixture of compatibility and passion. Basically you are similar people and you both want to sleep with one another. Passion fades out after the beginning of a relationship. THats why in marriage its important to also be very compatible (like perfect friends). The final aspect of the rellationship is commitment.

i think it would help you if you read more substantiated psychology books on relationships. Such as those used in college level courses. Triangular theory of love - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships