Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 07:43 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,706,825 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretkona View Post
Women do not have to put one iota of work into meeting a man. Not a single thought or motion. A woman does not even need to be mildly attractive, each woman is usually proprosioned a few dozen times a day by men.
That is beyond ludicrous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2011, 07:46 AM

37,619 posts, read 46,006,789 times
This is NOT a personal attack. Clearly the OP has little experience with ANY of the elements that he is asking about: women, online dating, OR bars. Anyone that has, wouldn't be posing the question in the first place.

Old 02-22-2011, 07:52 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,706,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilgamesh8 View Post
The growing popularity of online dating means women no longer need to actively seek men - women can field multiple date requests from the comfort of their own homes. I believe this is why bars and clubs are increasingly becoming sausagefests - single women aren't going out as much today. Rather than the singles/meat markets of yore, bars and clubs are now becoming venues for groups of friends to celebrate some sort of group event - birthday parties, "girls night out" etc.

I think a lot of single women feel that its just more SAFE to meet a man online. Which ofcourse is retarded because most of those sites don't even use background checks. Also the guys on there typically have the same agenda as men at bars which is to get LAID.

What do you guys think?
I think it's easier to meet people in bars than online. I know a few women who are trying the online thing without much luck. I doubt their standards are impossibly high, but I doubt all the men on those sites are the dregs either, so I'm not sure what's going on. I do know some people who met online and seem to have great relationships too, but it doesn't work for everyone.

Online dating has advantages and disadvantages.

Pros: You can weed out people up front based on pics and e-mails.
Cons: You can be too picky and step over someone you might have chatted with in person. The fault that you noticed and passed over in a profile (e.g., divorced) may not big such a big deal after you've spent an hour or two with the person.

Pros: You can look for people who are intellectually stimulating and can write.
Cons: You may have no physical chemistry with this person when you finally meet.

And so on. Meeting people in bars has its own set of pros and cons. I think online dating is just a new aspect of the world that people are going to have to get used to.

Old 02-22-2011, 08:06 AM

1,904 posts, read 2,987,660 times
Has Online Dating ruined Bars/Clubs for men?

No, Bars/Clubs are still fair game.

Old 02-22-2011, 08:16 AM

2,068 posts, read 4,337,807 times
Quote:
The growing popularity of online dating means women no longer need to actively seek men - women can field multiple date requests from the comfort of their own homes. I believe this is why bars and clubs are increasingly becoming sausagefests - single women aren't going out as much today. Rather than the singles/meat markets of yore, bars and clubs are now becoming venues for groups of friends to celebrate some sort of group event - birthday parties, "girls night out" etc.

I think a lot of single women feel that its just more SAFE to meet a man online. Which ofcourse is retarded because most of those sites don't even use background checks. Also the guys on there typically have the same agenda as men at bars which is to get LAID.

What do you guys think?
Only people not out in the world would think that online dating is ruining bars/clubs...

Go out and you will see everything is still thriving.

Old 02-22-2011, 08:36 AM

2,618 posts, read 6,163,797 times
Quote:

What do you guys think?
- I think women don't typically SEEK men, usually it's men who seek the women and the women just decide after enough courting whether he's worth going out with more than once, twice, or even at all.

- Men can court and puruse many different women from the comfort of their own homes as well.

- I never would expect, and most people don't expect, to meet a significant other that has potential for marriage in a BAR or CLUB

- It's just as dangerous meeting a random guy at a bar as it is meeting a person on the internet. At least through a dating site I would hope a woman would take the time to email/call with the person to interact and get a sense of character before meeting them. At a bar it's so loud I don't know how you can possibly hold a conversation.

- Bars don't do backround checks either, a fake ID gets you in.

- I'd say from experience in downtown chicago that men online are TYPICALLY look for something more than just getting laid as it requires more effort to meet someone online, than at a bar you can just walk up to a girl, make your move, and ask them if they want to go back to your place.

Here's what I don't understand: why do people still think that there's this secret, separate population of individuals that are part of the "online/internet" world and then there's people in the real world or "real life" people. Here's a news flash to people like this who live in cave: THEY'RE THE SAME PEOPLE!

Old 02-22-2011, 08:45 AM

1,904 posts, read 2,987,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdubs3201 View Post
-
Here's what I don't understand: why do people still think that there's this secret, separate population of individuals that are part of the "online/internet" world and then there's people in the real world or "real life" people. Here's a news flash to people like this who live in cave: THEY'RE THE SAME PEOPLE!
It's because it makes them feel good about their truly mediocre life.

Old 02-22-2011, 08:47 AM

5,460 posts, read 7,762,387 times
Agreed with John and Victor. ETA: I personally find bars not the greatest place to find "marriage-minded" females; I don't use them for dating purposes.

Also: keep in mind, that bars don't exactly have background checks either, right?

Quote:

What do you guys think?

Old 02-22-2011, 10:23 AM

6 posts, read 10,633 times
I agree with cdubs, the women don't seek out the men. Not usually anyways, well I didn't. I stopped going to bars shortly before I met my boyfriend because I was tired of the games. You can't really tell if they are truly interested, want to get laid or both or if it's just the alcohol. It's a mess. So I stopped going, then a few weeks later met my boyfriend online, not through a dating website and he turned out to be everything but a loser. So I do think there is some competition there depending on what you are looking for.

Old 02-22-2011, 10:29 AM

2,652 posts, read 4,798,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorhe33 View Post
I think its more so the problem is bars/clubs aren't "classy" they are more like trashy. Its tough to find a marriage material/marriage mindset people there. People are just there to have fun, so bars and clubs really aren't good places to find a real relationship. Your better off meeting women through other ways.
I know what you mean. Everyone knows online dating works for everyone. Truthful decent individuals. The pics are always up to date. All the people on their aren't looking to hookup or cas sex. Yeap, that's it.

Really dude.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships