Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 10:10 PM

324 posts, read 573,224 times

Advertisements

I'm in my early 20's right now and I have to deal with men who come across as being EXTREMELY shallow. I am tired of it. Since when do I only get respect if my hair is straightened, my clothes are tight fitted and my face is well-rested. The other day, I was trying to dig my car out of the parking lot since it happened to be covered with snow. Another young woman, who was very attractive, was doing the same thing-digging her car out. A man who happens to work with maintence at the apartment walked right up to her and asked her if she was okay and if she needed assistance. Here I am, eyes watery from the brisk cold, hair frizzy, wearing a puffy coat digging my car out with desperation before it got towed.

This isn't the only scenario.
When I do have tight fitted clothing, maintained hair and so forth, I get many more guys saying hello to me, holding the door for me and smiling at me.

Some won't even engage in a conversation based on how I look that day. It must be my generation. What a pity.

Old 02-22-2011, 10:13 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,778,604 times
Hey Bennie, you want some cheese to go along with that whine?

Men are visual creatures - it just is what it is. They like to look at women that appeal to them.

I'm sure you are no ugly duckling, even when your hair isn't fixed. Just remember, you don't need ALL men to find you attractive, just the right one

Old 02-22-2011, 10:16 PM

324 posts, read 573,224 times
Cheese sounds delicious. I'm not whining. Isn't this a forum? Where we state or opinions? Men are shallow. It's not about being physically attractive, it's about knowing how to respect women, even those who don't physically appeal to you. .

Old 02-22-2011, 10:19 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,778,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennie Flowers View Post
Cheese sounds delicious. I'm not whining. Isn't this a forum? Where we state or opinions? Men are shallow.

That is a broad generalization that is far from accurate.

Personally, I don't know a single shallow man.

And yes, you ARE whining

Old 02-22-2011, 10:19 PM
Itz

714 posts, read 2,200,380 times
Quote:
Cheese sounds delicious. I'm not whining. Isn't this a forum? Where we state or opinions? Men are shallow.
In your situation - feel proud of yourself that you were able to dig yourself out.. Realize you don't NEED someone - it will make you stronger.

I have to agree here... however.... so are women . and no - it never changes.

Its a lose lose situation..

Old 02-22-2011, 10:20 PM

766 posts, read 1,396,159 times
Hey Bennie.... I'm in my late 40's. They are still shallow. Some things never change. However, many women are just as shallow. It's a "human" problem.

Old 02-22-2011, 10:22 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,701,155 times
And women don't do that either? Put two guys in a room with a lot of seats, far apart from each other. One is what most people would consider "hot" and the other is "average at best." Then send in an attractive woman. Who is she going to sit closer to? My money's on the hot guy.

Shallow? Maybe, but a lot of people (myself included) are guilty of it. That said, I have pretty simple standards for what I find attractive, it's not like I only seek out blonde bombshells or the like. And I'm always respectful, courteous and helpful to people regardless of how attractive I find them.

Old 02-22-2011, 10:24 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,126,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
And women don't do that either? Put two guys in a room with a lot of seats, far apart from each other. One is what most people would consider "hot" and the other is "average at best." Then send in an attractive woman. Who is she going to sit closer to? My money's on the hot guy.

Shallow? Maybe, but a lot of people (myself included) are guilty of it. That said, I have pretty simple standards for what I find attractive, it's not like I only seek out blonde bombshells or the like. And I'm always respectful, courteous and helpful to people regardless of how attractive I find them.
over-rated anyway

Old 02-22-2011, 10:25 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,701,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozgal View Post
over-rated anyway
i'm a sucker for redheads myself

Old 02-22-2011, 10:26 PM

37,644 posts, read 46,052,689 times
Quote:
Cheese sounds delicious. I'm not whining. Isn't this a forum? Where we state or opinions? Men are shallow. It's not about being physically attractive, it's about knowing how to respect women, even those who don't physically appeal to you. .
Yes, you are whining. As far as shallowness, that is spread around pretty well, in both men AND women. But it's neither fair nor correct to paint everyone with the same brush.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships