Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2011, 01:40 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,645,918 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreaspercheron View Post
I can give you my POV from when I used to do online dating.. if a guy contacted me and I wasn't interested, I just let him know immediately in a tactful way. Some men take it okay and others get totally hurt feelings and really act like an arse. It's that behavior that confirmed I didn't have a good feeling anyway LOL
It's better to just let someone know early on. Why drag it out or let them "wonder" if you're interested or not, ya know?
Well, I'll speak for myself and many others. That is what makes you different and is much appreciated. If you strike out, it is better than losing the game on the last run of the home inning. Some gals get their kicks from that though!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2011, 01:42 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,645,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
Well, if you were in a public setting and someone came up to you and said hello, that you weren't interested in talking to, ask this: Would you listen to their "hello", then just turn around and walk away without saying a word to them?

Thought not (hopefully).

Lesson: One of the reasons so many of us complain about "how people are getting these days" is because folks are getting to comfortable ignoring people, or flat-out being rude to people online, since it's "safe" to do so. The problem is, the more you do it, the more you do it some more, and more, and eventually it will shape the way you interact with people face-to-face, too.

Remember that old Golden rule that were all were supposed to have been taught as children by our parents? "Treat others as you wish to be treated". Maybe we need a modern day adaptation of this golden rule to teach ourselves (and our kids): "Treat others online as you would like to be treated face-to-face".

You can ALWAYS tell the people who haven't been online for very long!

Old 03-01-2011, 01:47 PM

471 posts, read 1,042,861 times
I'm of the opinion you just don't respond. I'm not trying to start a dialogue with the person. I look at it this way for comparison.

There's a lot of cereal on the cereal Aisle. I'm only paying attention to the cereal I want. The rest I don't look at.

Old 03-01-2011, 01:59 PM

98 posts, read 189,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
Well, if you were in a public setting and someone came up to you and said hello, that you weren't interested in talking to, ask this: Would you listen to their "hello", then just turn around and walk away without saying a word to them?

Thought not (hopefully).

Lesson: One of the reasons so many of us complain about "how people are getting these days" is because folks are getting to comfortable ignoring people, or flat-out being rude to people online, since it's "safe" to do so. The problem is, the more you do it, the more you do it some more, and more, and eventually it will shape the way you interact with people face-to-face, too.

Remember that old Golden rule that were all were supposed to have been taught as children by our parents? "Treat others as you wish to be treated". Maybe we need a modern day adaptation of this golden rule to teach ourselves (and our kids): "Treat others online as you would like to be treated face-to-face".

As much as I really want to stick by my previous post, you really make a good point here, especially the bold. I never really thought of it in that way because it is online and not in person. Making me stop and think about myself and that rarely happens so kudos to you.

Old 03-01-2011, 03:01 PM

10,363 posts, read 20,801,723 times
I think I would rather that he just not respond b/c then I can tell myself that it's because: 1. He got killed in a car accident yesterday 2. He's a fictitious character that the site used to pad out their program with 3. He tried to write back but the computer wouldn't put it thru (I've had that happen before when I was trying to write someone and I took it as a sign from above that he's all wrong for me!)

I've had guys who were trying to be kind in explaining why it wasn't going to work and really, it would be fine to say there's no chemistry than to go into a deep long explanation of why he's not attracted to me, which can tend to get into hurtful territory even if he's trying to be nice. Had a guy once who was explaining how he had this "template" in his head of what his ideal woman should look like and his dream woman has a ponytail. I quickly gathered up my hair and joked that if that's all he wanted. . . He glanced over and said, "Nah, wrong hair." I had to laugh b/c he was bald.

Old 03-01-2011, 03:24 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,626,210 times
This sort of thing can be a little awkward because if you're like I am the last thing you want to do is make someone feel bad because you've experienced those feelings yourself. I did have a woman from another state send me a message explaining that she was very likely going to move to my city but then she also said that she was quite a bit taller than I was but that really wouldn't be a problem for her. I didn't respond to her email and I felt a little guilty about it because afterall she had taken the time to put together a friendly message and send it to me. It was the height thing that bothered me but now I kind of wish I would have at least had the courtesy to express that fact to her in a friendly way and to wish her good luck.
For whatever reason I've had a few women who were taller than me become interested and even dated a few but for whatever reason I just felt foolish looking so short next to them.

Old 03-01-2011, 03:40 PM

7,796 posts, read 16,401,804 times
I didn't reply to A LOT of men, including my husband. (I finally responded to his 3rd message. ) He also wasn't the first man to write me multiple times despite my lack of response. Unfortunately, in my past experience I found that if I responded to a message, even if I stated I wasn't interested, they still took that message as "hope." Then they would keep writing me, asking me why I wasn't writing them back. Some would watch to see if I was online and write me as soon as that green light was there. Many got belligerent, which I could never understand. Why would I write someone back after they've been nasty to me?!? One went as far as to create a whole webpage bashing me. So needless to say, I found it was in my best interest not to respond at all.

I know there were some men I wrote and they didn't reply back. I got the hint and wasn't offended by it.

As for winks...I don't feel they require a response at all if you're not interested.

Old 03-01-2011, 03:56 PM

9,230 posts, read 16,548,469 times
I tried a few sites back when I was single and it really all depends on the site, the person responding to my ad, how they responded, what was in their profile or a combination of these. I definitely didn't respond to winks and the like. If we actually had a conversation and I lost interest at some point, I would tell him as much instead of leaving him hanging.

Old 03-01-2011, 04:14 PM

3,223 posts, read 9,631,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
So if somebody "winks", emails you a note, communicates a bit, or otherwise expresses "interest" online, what happens if you're "not interested"? Is it better to drop a note and politely say "no thanks", etc. or should you just ignore them?

I'm thinking particularly of instances where maybe you've both had at least a couple email exchanges or even a phone call, but it soon becomes apparent that you're not a good "fit". Now maybe it's different when women say "no" to men, but I'm surprised at how many gals don't seem to be able to accept a polite "sorry we didn't work out, but best of luck in your search". And after receiving a few cranky replies, enumerating my (many) faults, and that I was basically doing them a "favor", etc. by ending things, frankly it's difficult not to consider the option of doing nothing and simply letting things "drift off"!

So what's the consensus out there these days in "Online Dating Land" re: saying "thanks, but no thanks"....?
i didnt read your post but to answer the subject line, yes, if possible tell them you are not interested. so they wouldn't keep expecting u to answer or wonder if u received their message.

Old 03-01-2011, 04:18 PM

545 posts, read 1,556,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
So if somebody "winks", emails you a note, communicates a bit, or otherwise expresses "interest" online, what happens if you're "not interested"? Is it better to drop a note and politely say "no thanks", etc. or should you just ignore them?

I'm thinking particularly of instances where maybe you've both had at least a couple email exchanges or even a phone call, but it soon becomes apparent that you're not a good "fit". Now maybe it's different when women say "no" to men, but I'm surprised at how many gals don't seem to be able to accept a polite "sorry we didn't work out, but best of luck in your search". And after receiving a few cranky replies, enumerating my (many) faults, and that I was basically doing them a "favor", etc. by ending things, frankly it's difficult not to consider the option of doing nothing and simply letting things "drift off"!

So what's the consensus out there these days in "Online Dating Land" re: saying "thanks, but no thanks"....?
I just say "I'm not interested". It's more rude to ignore a message and it also leaves the person hanging, especially in situations where you've exchanged multiple emails. However, I don't reply that often if it's just a one-liner. How often I reply is usually proportional to their effort.

It's their fault for being rude, but don't be rude as a response.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships