Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2011, 10:11 PM

81 posts, read 197,411 times

Advertisements

somehow that is a turnoff to the average female despite being a noble and kind thing to say! Contrast that with a female who says that she'd like to meet someone the quality of her father. The average man would receive this comment as classy, and would show him that this lady is probably respectful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2011, 10:15 PM

343 posts, read 524,383 times
Why do you have to bring up Mother or Father? I wouldn't want to give an impression of being a Daddy's princess (even though, I am ) nor do I want to hear you are a Momma's boy. Why not just state the qualities you like?

Old 03-10-2011, 10:16 PM

208 posts, read 416,248 times
I'd check for the umbilical chord.

My father was a wonderful man. Kind, true and supportive but I don't want a man like my father. (He was also a chauvinist.) I want man right for me. The only contrast and comparing I'd like to do is with my list - the other totally unattainable image of perfection.

Old 03-10-2011, 10:17 PM

81 posts, read 197,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna in AZ View Post
Why do you have to bring up Mother or Father? I wouldn't want to give an impression of being a Daddy's princess (even though, I am ) nor do I want to hear you are a Momma's boy. Why not just state the qualities you like?

So a guy respects his mother and he's a mommas boy?

Old 03-10-2011, 10:34 PM

3,573 posts, read 6,476,055 times
I've always been with men that love their mothers. Thought that if they loved their mothers, they would love and respect me. The only problem is, most men that really love their mothers, always go to their mother's for advice and sometimes you can never be as good as mom.

I'm not quite sure if I'd find another man that really loves his mother too much.

Old 03-10-2011, 10:58 PM

343 posts, read 524,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerby View Post
So a guy respects his mother and he's a mommas boy?
Respect is not the issue. The love of a parent is very different from love in a relationship. You might not see the faults in your mother.

For example: With one boyfriend, we spent every Sunday at his parent's house. His mother was a controlling passive/aggressive shrew. Nothing he did was wrong. He never saw her faults (and his because nothing he ever did was wrong) until it was too late.
I don't expect a man to love me like my dad because I expect to contribute more to the relationship than what my dad expects of me. It's a different dynamic. I don't want a daddy, I want a man who desires a mature, independent woman who is equally responsible to the success of the relationship. Parental relationships are a bit lax on that.

Take the good qualities of what you were taught but don't expect to be loved unconditionally.

Old 03-10-2011, 11:28 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,868,976 times
Electra syndrome FTL.

I love my mom but once, I went on a blind date with a woman who looked like a shorter version of her. Scared the hell out of me!

Old 03-10-2011, 11:32 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,646,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerby View Post
somehow that is a turnoff to the average female despite being a noble and kind thing to say! Contrast that with a female who says that she'd like to meet someone the quality of her father. The average man would receive this comment as classy, and would show him that this lady is probably respectful.
I don't find it a turnoff. My Mom is still sleeping in the same bed as my Dad after MANY years. So what's the problem?

Old 03-11-2011, 01:22 AM

37,138 posts, read 42,228,838 times
I don't know if it's a problem but it's not something most guys would want to say. I personally DID want a guy like my dad, but the guy I married fell short. Maybe it's because of the times or maybe I made a bad choice or maybe he really was less of a man.

Old 03-11-2011, 03:16 AM

3,085 posts, read 5,241,344 times
Love my mother to death. Doesn't mean I'd want to date a mirror image of her. Agree that it's a totally different dynamic we're talking about here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships