Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2013, 07:18 PM
MJ6 MJ6 started this thread

9 posts, read 15,201 times

Advertisements

The title pretty much speaks for itself. I'm 22 and she's 35. We're currently friends and we get along really well. But I'm conscious of the age gap and the implications it has. I've been thinking about her a lot but not one part of me has the strength to tell her how I feel. One of the reasons is cause I don't wanna ruin our friendship (I'm pretty convinced she doesn't have any romantic feelings for me - I think she sees me more as the 'younger brother' type).

Does anyone have advice on the situation? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2013, 07:22 PM

5,460 posts, read 7,763,328 times
How can you be 100% sure that she doesn't have romantic feelings for you too, though?

Nothing wrong with falling in love with an older lady...so long as both parties are of legally-consenting age, age is just a number!

Old 04-13-2013, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight2009 View Post
How can you be 100% sure that she doesn't have romantic feelings for you too, though?

Nothing wrong with falling in love with an older lady...so long as both parties are of legally-consenting age, age is just a number!
I didn't say I'm a 100% sure she doesn't have feelings for me, but I think it's quite likely for several reasons. First, I'm not that good with women, second, she has reiterated how she's taking a big break from men (disastrous relationship after another) and she's gonna focus on other things - third, she always tells me how I remind her of her little brother (he's 25).

Regarding your 'age is nothing but a number' notion - I very much like it

Old 04-13-2013, 07:31 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,875,261 times
The age gap would scare me. Since I'm the same age. Although I have an uncle who married a woman 15 yrs older.

Old 04-13-2013, 07:42 PM

5,460 posts, read 7,763,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ6 View Post
I didn't say I'm a 100% sure she doesn't have feelings for me, but I think it's quite likely for several reasons. First, I'm not that good with women, second, she has reiterated how she's taking a big break from men (disastrous relationship after another) and she's gonna focus on other things - third, she always tells me how I remind her of her little brother (he's 25).
Thx for sharing more details -- do you think that based on her personality (she sounds like a really nice person, from your description), there is a possibility that she might actually feel touched and that you were very sweet, if you were to tell her how you feel about her, in a tactful way of course? (I am also assuming here that you are interested in her for something like long-term, serious relationship purposes?)

Also do you think that in the worst-case scenario if she doesn't have any romantic feelings for you, that she would really and truly end her friendship with you? J/c, how long have you guys known each other for, btw?

Quote:
Regarding your 'age is nothing but a number' notion - I very much like it
Thank you...and best of wishes and good luck, with your dream girl who is older!

Old 04-13-2013, 07:43 PM

52,285 posts, read 52,713,798 times
To big of an age gap for me... but honestly, best of luck to you.....

Old 04-13-2013, 07:48 PM

12,585 posts, read 16,957,722 times
Default Older woman has fallen?

Friends first is always best!

Old 04-13-2013, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight2009 View Post
Thx for sharing more details -- do you think that based on her personality (she sounds like a really nice person, from your description), there is a possibility that she might actually feel touched and that you were very sweet, if you were to tell her how you feel about her, in a tactful way of course? (I am also assuming here that you are interested in her for something like long-term, serious relationship purposes?)

Also do you think that in the worst-case scenario if she doesn't have any romantic feelings for you, that she would really and truly end her friendship with you? J/c, how long have you guys known each other for, btw?

Thank you...and best of wishes and good luck, with your dream girl who is older!
Well, she always tells me I'm sweet. But the again, a lot of females have always told me that (ever since middle school) but that label hasn't necessarily translated into attraction lol. But I've told her a few things and she has been touched. I just don't know how she would react if those things were romantically-oriented. And yes, I'm interested in her long-term/serious commitment wise.

And no, she certainly wouldn't terminate our friendship if knew about my feelings for her. She's one of the nicest people I've come across. We've known each other for 8 months and when we first met, I was really depressed. She was one of the reasons I got out of the slump (she'd been where I was once so she was experienced on the subject). She knows a lot of personal things about me as a result, and I know quite a few things about her, too. We're pretty close friends-wise. Or at least I think so.

And thank you for the wishes. Really appreciate your input on the situation.

Old 04-13-2013, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
The age gap would scare me. Since I'm the same age. Although I have an uncle who married a woman 15 yrs older.
Thanks for your insight.

Am I incorrect when I feel that it's more socially acceptable for older man/younger woman relationships than vice versa?

Old 04-13-2013, 07:55 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,875,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ6 View Post
Thanks for your insight.

Am I incorrect when I feel that it's more socially acceptable for older man/younger woman relationships than vice versa?
Ah you will find some whom accept and some don't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships