Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 11:39 AM

817 posts, read 812,173 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by laorbust61 View Post
Ditch them if they're seriously doing this; Take a break from them every other weekend and find some new friends.
Giggity
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2011, 11:45 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,761,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MzSJP View Post
What is up with this??? Does anyone else to do this with their friends?? Am I missing something??
Oh yeah, totally.

I remember in second grade, me and my friends would run around the playground pretending we were Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. it's basically the same thing.

Old 03-29-2011, 12:09 PM

1,413 posts, read 3,049,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MzSJP View Post
I have another friend who sleeps with a different guy practically every night and loves it....yep you guessed it...."OMG, Samantha"
Do you think you could introduce me to her?

Old 03-30-2011, 03:50 PM

1 posts, read 996 times
This is VERY common! I have never watched an episode of Sex in the city (don't plan on it either), but I know exactly what you are saying! haha I was actually relieved to see this thread. I have lived in 3 countries and about 10-15 different cities in the past 10 years and several women I have encountered compare themselves to characters from this television show. I have even seen women try to emulate the characters to the point where I feel like saying something to them but it would be too awkward. I have seen groups of people (mostly women) try and pattern their life after the show Friends and Desperate Housewives. The profound effect such television shows seem to have on women is incredible but at the same time very sad. Don't get me wrong, I love women and think the world of them, but our society seems to be having a very negative effect on women.

I remember 20 years ago when the North American public was outraged at the show Married With Children. It was regarded as bad and thought to have a negative effect on families. Fast forward to 2011!! The hit show Desperate Housewives is about a group of women who run around cheating on their husbands! haha

Just thought I would let the op of this thread know that he/she is not alone. This goes on quite a bit and it IS very annoying. I notice that people who do not watch much television tend to be more intellectually mature and more enjoyable to be around. We often underestimate how powerful the images we see on the t.v screen can be. I wouldn't be surprised if the people who pattern their lives after such nonsense even know they are doing it.

Last edited by Unemployed in Leamington; 03-30-2011 at 04:02 PM..

Old 03-30-2011, 08:41 PM

1,994 posts, read 3,215,348 times
Wow.

I am a SATC watcher and I happen to really enjoy the show. I love the bond between the girls, the exploration of sex, relationships and friendship and the fashion.

I had no idea that made me brain dead.

Old 03-30-2011, 10:04 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,977,964 times
They are lying.

Old 03-31-2011, 08:14 AM

36,588 posts, read 30,928,782 times
Quote:
What is up with this??? Does anyone else to do this with their friends?? Am I missing something??
Not really. When I was little I remember listening to my mom and the ladies talking about Soaps like it was real life. For awhile many of the women in the office were into Survivor and I had to listen to that crap and some of the guys were always going on about a few TV shows. Being that until a few months ago, I havent had TV in 10 years, all that discussion was lost on me.
I think it sounds a bit immature for adults.

Old 03-31-2011, 08:17 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,204,472 times
Well, a good litmus test of a person's quality is how much time they spend talking about television.

If it's part of their daily conversations, then I'm not sure how much time I'd want to spend them. Life's a freaking banquet. The fact that there are people who camp out in front of the boob tube and treat it as an important part of their lives just is sad beyond belief.

Old 03-31-2011, 08:27 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,761,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by *VaNiLlaGoRrilLa* View Post
Wow.

I am a SATC watcher and I happen to really enjoy the show. I love the bond between the girls, the exploration of sex, relationships and friendship and the fashion.

I had no idea that made me brain dead.
Watching it doesn't make you brain dead.

Trying to act it out in your own life, or letting it influence your expectations about what life should be like ...... well.. let's just say that it makes me question the methodology behind these claims that young women mature faster than young men.

Last edited by le roi; 03-31-2011 at 08:40 AM..

Old 03-31-2011, 05:53 PM

1,994 posts, read 3,215,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
Watching it doesn't make you brain dead.

Trying to act it out in your own life, or letting it influence your expectations about what life should be like ...... well.. let's just say that it makes me question the methodology behind these claims that young women mature faster than young men.
I by no means think that the show is anything close to reality, but I don’t look down on those who try to act it out.

The girls all have great jobs which allows them to spend frivolously, are sexually confident and have a wonderful friendship. What’s so wrong with desiring those things?

Why don’t you ever hear people saying “letting it influence your expectations about what life should be like” about shows with perfect families?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships