Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 09:42 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,165,927 times

Advertisements

If you can pay off his bills by December, then he really isn't all that bad off.

However, when you live together, it's really important that you have the money discussion. Yeah, I know it's not the most romantic thing ever, but having some kind of understanding up front saves lots and lots of heartache later.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2011, 12:08 PM

3,360 posts, read 8,390,974 times
Simple:

It's his debt, Not yours. Don't pay any of his bills. And the same would be true if you had the debt and he had none. It's not a gender issue, it's a equity issue.

Old 03-29-2011, 12:11 PM

6,548 posts, read 7,280,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulysses61 View Post
Simple:

It's his debt, Not yours. Don't pay any of his bills. And the same would be true if you had the debt and he had none. It's not a gender issue, it's a equity issue.
But she's not paying any bills, he's paying ALL of the bills, including hers now that she moved in.

Old 03-29-2011, 12:53 PM

1,298 posts, read 2,239,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onihC View Post
But she's not paying any bills, he's paying ALL of the bills, including hers now that she moved in.
No mam/sir. I pay my own way, I buy the groceries, cook and clean and wash clothes and pay for all the entertainment...

Groceries for the two weeks I've been there $286.00
Just paid for a 7 day cruise/Alaska trip 7600.00

I think I've paid my share for a while.

Old 03-29-2011, 12:56 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,170,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by round4 View Post

For a pretty loooong while!

Old 03-29-2011, 12:58 PM

Thw whole idea of this thread was to get ideas on what I can pay extra for him, he won't let me do it, so I will just have to go do it, if that's the route I choose to do....

Old 03-29-2011, 01:08 PM

859 posts, read 2,829,360 times
I would ask what your long term plans are. Do you see the two of you getting married and spending your lives together or is this just a short term thing?

If it's short term then continue doing what you're doing and guide him in getting back on his feet. If you're going to get married it's better to have both parties out of debt before going down that road and you should start helping out where needed

Old 03-29-2011, 01:19 PM

6,548 posts, read 7,280,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by round4 View Post
No mam/sir. I pay my own way, I buy the groceries, cook and clean and wash clothes and pay for all the entertainment...

Groceries for the two weeks I've been there $286.00

But you said you split the groceries. You're paying for his trip? cool .

Old 03-29-2011, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johna01374 View Post
I would ask what your long term plans are. Do you see the two of you getting married and spending your lives together or is this just a short term thing?

If it's short term then continue doing what you're doing and guide him in getting back on his feet. If you're going to get married it's better to have both parties out of debt before going down that road and you should start helping out where needed
No, I see us together, and eventually married. And that's what my goal is to get him in good shape and the 17 year daughter grown and out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by onihC View Post
But you said you split the groceries. You're paying for his trip? cool .
I did say that and we are splitting, I bought these two weeks he will buy the next two times, simple.

Oh and I guess I failed to mention that I paid for 17 year old daughter a week at the beach over spring break, my boys went as well.

Not to mention a nice Bass boat I have my eyes on, but, that will be for me...

Old 03-29-2011, 01:31 PM

2,682 posts, read 4,481,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johna01374 View Post

YES. This is what my gf and I are doing. She isn't making that much right now so I take care of rent, bills, groceries and my own stuff. She spends her money on her own payments and gives me money when she can. We're taking it as her debt is my debt and my debt is her debt because we are in this for the long-term. In about 2 years we will be rid of both cars, all the credit cards, lasik and IRS bills. However, we will be left with about $70K in student loans between the two of us. Those will come due in 2013 and I'm trying not to think about them. I'm thinking by then she'll have a decent job and we'll be able to live on one income and pay off those loans in a few years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships