Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2011, 06:32 AM

126 posts, read 102,251 times

Advertisements

Sup gentiles, there's this really cute girl at my work, and we work at a huge store where they sell things, but we work in different departments (she's a sales clerk/restocker/etc. and I operate the phones). Well we see each other like everyday, and I swear sometimes she's checking me out. We haven't really spoken much other than casually talking just once.

I know this sounds rather cliche and like it's from a movie, but would it be awkward/socially unacceptable to make up an excuse to talk with her for a bit. And by that I mean something like asking her to help me find *insert product sold at the store here* and that would give us time to just talk. I could just approach her randomly or wait for her to approach me, but we're both usually pretty busy and we don't have the same break times. So I'm thinking about going with my original plan (make up an excuse to talk to her). So how does that sound? Anyone have any better ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2011, 07:17 AM

645 posts, read 989,257 times
Why make something up (and waste her time and yours while on the job?). If you think she's checking you out - introduce yourself. If you've already done that - how about "Hi! How goes?" Smile. If she's cool with that - ask her if she's up for grabbing some coffee (or whatever) one day.

Old 04-07-2011, 08:51 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,744,165 times
Introducing yourself and asking her name is a good start. Then you can move on to other small talk and then to grabbing a coffee after work one day.

Do people these days need to be told how to talk to other people face to face?

Old 04-07-2011, 11:58 AM

1,206 posts, read 2,928,735 times
make some small jokes and try to build up a good vibe/energy with her. You need to be more comfortable around her first.

Old 04-08-2011, 07:48 AM

41 posts, read 92,198 times
I say go with your idea about making an excuse to get a chance to talk to her. She will probably know what you're doing, but she will probably like it too. Plus if things work out for you, then it will be a great story to look back on and laugh about. My mom met my dad because they both worked at an AT&T plant and she acted like her computer was broken so my dad(engineer) would come "fix her computer".....they still talk about that 27 years later. No matter what way you go about talking to her, as long as you make it clear that you are interested then your good..

Old 04-08-2011, 08:05 AM

3,562 posts, read 4,398,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samusaran253 View Post
Sup gentiles, there's this really cute girl at my work, and we work at a huge store where they sell things, but we work in different departments (she's a sales clerk/restocker/etc. and I operate the phones). Well we see each other like everyday, and I swear sometimes she's checking me out. We haven't really spoken much other than casually talking just once.

I know this sounds rather cliche and like it's from a movie, but would it be awkward/socially unacceptable to make up an excuse to talk with her for a bit. And by that I mean something like asking her to help me find *insert product sold at the store here* and that would give us time to just talk. I could just approach her randomly or wait for her to approach me, but we're both usually pretty busy and we don't have the same break times. So I'm thinking about going with my original plan (make up an excuse to talk to her). So how does that sound? Anyone have any better ideas?
Do yourself a favour. . .don't get emotionally involved with a co-worker.

Cute girls are everywhere. Jobs are not!

If you involve yourself with this co-worker, and somehow end up having a falling out, try visualizing having to work near someone whom you once had a fling-thing with, but are now at odds with.

Surely, if this one is checking you out, there are others ELSEWHERE whom are checking you out also. Hey, can find plenty of smart & cute chicks at the few remaining Barnes & Nobles. . .and plenty of cougars at the produce section of your local supermarket.

Old 04-08-2011, 10:12 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,759,378 times
At least they are not in the same department, so no hierarchy issues...

I don't think that relationships starting at the workplace are a problem. Actually, I read somewhere that the majority of relationships start out at work. People there are probably more solid than some total stranger you meet in a bar etc.
And if she is cute, why would he not try to get to know her just because they might not get together or separate later on.
Sure, there are also nice women in the supermarket etc., but if one is a bit shy, it is much harder to get to know someone you only see once.

Old 04-08-2011, 10:25 AM

1,176 posts, read 2,197,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
At least they are not in the same department, so no hierarchy issues...

I don't think that relationships starting at the workplace are a problem. Actually, I read somewhere that the majority of relationships start out at work. People there are probably more solid than some total stranger you meet in a bar etc.
And if she is cute, why would he not try to get to know her just because they might not get together or separate later on.
Sure, there are also nice women in the supermarket etc., but if one is a bit shy, it is much harder to get to know someone you only see once.
only problem is that if it gets a little serious and they have sex. then they break up and she talks about his teeny weinie and how he's lousy in bed. me? i married a co-worker so who am i to talk.

Old 04-08-2011, 10:25 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,889,091 times
I met my husband at work. We were both teenagers working at Kmart. He worked in the bakery, I was a cashier. He came through my line every night when his shift ended, to buy a pack of cigs or gum. One night he asked for my phone number. I didn't even know his name until he called me

You don't have to make up a work-related question to talk to her, just say hi and go from there!

Old 04-08-2011, 10:30 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,759,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkrplr1 View Post
only problem is that if it gets a little serious and they have sex. then they break up and she talks about his teeny weinie and how he's lousy in bed. me? i married a co-worker so who am i to talk.
Since he sees her every day, he should be able to tell whether she is the kind of "girl" who does that. Most girls/women don't. I guess those worries reveal more about the man than the woman
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships