Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2011, 01:21 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,647,809 times

Advertisements

Okay, so let's say you go to your friend's house with your SO. And some point, you leave the two of them alone, maybe you had to run to the bathroom, or you went outside to have a smoke.

While you're gone, your so-called best friend hits on your SO. Now, your SO rebuffs her...but says nothing to you about it. However, the next time you want to go visit her, he declines to go.

This could apply both ways, just change the requisite genders....

Now, for the questions.

Would you have wanted to know right away? And do you feel it's dishonest of your SO to withhold the information? Remember, nothing happened, the advance was thwarted. Would it make sense that your SO is reluctant to visit that friend, without wanting to tell you why? Lastly, would you end a friendship over a similar situation?

That's all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2011, 02:07 AM

461 posts, read 782,434 times
That happened to me a few times. I told and it backfired. Guys just don't want to believe their best friends would betray them but they do. Guy code goes out the window once his back is turned.

I would want to know if my friends are hitting on my bf.

Old 04-13-2011, 06:38 AM

1,298 posts, read 2,238,317 times
I would want to know, just so I would know the type of person my "friend" is, and I'd definetly cool the jets with that person, and if they ever ask why, I'd tell.

Old 04-13-2011, 06:47 AM

519 posts, read 1,049,502 times
This has happened to me to. We've both been hit on at various times.

We find it funny, we never worry. We have always, so far, remained friends with the 'asker'

Old 04-13-2011, 08:03 AM

5,987 posts, read 10,468,786 times
The SO is the new person, and may not feel like potentially harming a long-term friendship. Clearly, they're not comfortable now around the friend knowing drama could result. It's kind of a damned if you do tell, and damned if you don't.

Personally, I'd probably laugh it off, would probably tell, and try to minimize any falllout.

If the relationship with the SO were really, really strong, I'd inquire about a threesome!

Edit: I'd also wonder if the friend was trying to test my loyalty to their friend. DANGER Will Robinson!

Old 04-13-2011, 08:11 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,691,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Okay, so let's say you go to your friend's house with your SO. And some point, you leave the two of them alone, maybe you had to run to the bathroom, or you went outside to have a smoke.

While you're gone, your so-called best friend hits on your SO. Now, your SO rebuffs her...but says nothing to you about it. However, the next time you want to go visit her, he declines to go.

This could apply both ways, just change the requisite genders....

Now, for the questions.

Would you have wanted to know right away? And do you feel it's dishonest of your SO to withhold the information? Remember, nothing happened, the advance was thwarted. Would it make sense that your SO is reluctant to visit that friend, without wanting to tell you why? Lastly, would you end a friendship over a similar situation?

That's all.
This happened to me. My best friend's husband hit on me several years ago. I told him bluntly that was inappropriate, and we have not spoken since. I never told her. I didn't know what to say, started to wonder if I was blowing the whole thing out of proportion, and then too much time had passed. She never said anything about his infidelity, so I chalked it up to a weak moment and let it go.

Old 04-13-2011, 08:13 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,147,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
This happened to me. My best friend's husband hit on me several years ago. I told him bluntly that was inappropriate, and we have not spoken since. I never told her. I didn't know what to say, started to wonder if I was blowing the whole thing out of proportion, and then too much time had passed. She never said anything about his infidelity, so I chalked it up to a weak moment and let it go.
If she's your best friend, how do you avoid seeing him and talking with him...?

Old 04-13-2011, 08:40 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,691,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
If she's your best friend, how do you avoid seeing him and talking with him...?
She lives in another state. I used to live in our hometown, and I'd only see her when she came home to visit (he'd be home with their kid). I haven't seen her in person since we moved here. She and I text and talk on the phone and Facebook.

Old 04-13-2011, 09:46 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,144,437 times
Damn. I think you need a better quality of friends.

Old 04-13-2011, 10:03 AM

1,133 posts, read 2,282,992 times
This has never happened to me, or my SO (to my knowledge).

Can the people who have responded saying that they have been "hit on" by their SO's friend, describe what exactly you mean by that? Is it flirting? Or more direct like "you know, I've always found you incredibly sexy", or even like trying to touch or kiss you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships