Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2011, 07:27 AM

172 posts, read 394,446 times

Advertisements

On some sites, even when a person hides their profile, if they send you an email, then you are able to read their whole profile and see the words, "Profile Hidden," at the very top of the page. You can also email them back. In other words, the act of contacting you by the other party opens up their profile to you.

If you were the woman that had received an email from a guy even though you could see that his profile is hidden, what would YOU think? What would that tell you about the man? If you were interested in him, would you still write back to him knowing that his profile is hidden from public view? Or would you just keep the interaction friendly, continue to email on the dating site, and see what happens?

I forgot to add that he wrote that he was looking for the following type of relationship: a long term relationship, short term relationship, or friends.

Personally, if someone contacted me and I saw that they had hidden their profile, I would see it as a red flag (i.e., this person is pursuing someone else, but is also trying to talk to me on the side) and ignore it.

Last edited by Nicegurl; 04-20-2011 at 07:54 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2011, 07:27 AM

1,646 posts, read 2,373,453 times
I would think the man is married.

Old 04-20-2011, 07:31 AM

1,549 posts, read 4,257,196 times
I'm with Carol on this one...he's married or in a serious relationship. Red flag...keep walking girl...

Old 04-20-2011, 07:31 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,156,261 times
Well, while being married is a possibility, he may also have discriminating taste and like you. Some people don't want to bother with the wide audience they're not interested in.

Old 04-20-2011, 07:34 AM

1,646 posts, read 2,373,453 times
Trust your gut. (I just remember an Episode of Jersey Shore where the situation found a girl and all the roomates were like thinking it was a transexual)...
So it you even have to hesitate about it, If you have to think about it... most likely is

I personally have a radar for weird, crazy and married men. But I am not much into dating these days so... anyway, follow your gut

Old 04-20-2011, 11:01 AM

37,611 posts, read 45,988,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicegurl View Post
On some sites, even when a person hides their profile, if they send you an email, then you are able to read their whole profile and see the words, "Profile Hidden," at the very top of the page. You can also email them back. In other words, the act of contacting you by the other party opens up their profile to you.

If you were the woman that had received an email from a guy even though you could see that his profile is hidden, what would YOU think? What would that tell you about the man? If you were interested in him, would you still write back to him knowing that his profile is hidden from public view? Or would you just keep the interaction friendly, continue to email on the dating site, and see what happens?

I forgot to add that he wrote that he was looking for the following type of relationship: a long term relationship, short term relationship, or friends.

Personally, if someone contacted me and I saw that they had hidden their profile, I would see it as a red flag (i.e., this person is pursuing someone else, but is also trying to talk to me on the side) and ignore it.
I would simply ask them....why is your profile hidden?

Old 04-20-2011, 11:18 AM

5,987 posts, read 10,470,434 times
Some people prefer to choose who they contact, rather than be chosen, especially when they don't get chosen by good matches.

Old 04-20-2011, 08:09 PM

4,271 posts, read 8,172,339 times
Part of me would think the person was married or seeing someone....

The other part of me, that has done this by the way... is that I don't want people from work seeing my profile on there and giving me grief about it. I am a male in a 95% female office (1000+ people) and don't want everyone in my business.

Old 04-20-2011, 09:25 PM

2,725 posts, read 5,189,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicegurl View Post
Correct me if I am wrong but if you respond to his email, will he have access to your profile but you still won't have access to his?

A red flag could just mean that you are uncomfortable with this so I wouldn't try to read more into it. You could change your profile and leave information you don't mind giving to just anybody. You can also hide your profile before you respond to him.

Old 04-20-2011, 09:49 PM

172 posts, read 394,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crisan View Post
Correct me if I am wrong but if you respond to his email, will he have access to your profile but you still won't have access to his?

A red flag could just mean that you are uncomfortable with this so I wouldn't try to read more into it. You could change your profile and leave information you don't mind giving to just anybody. You can also hide your profile before you respond to him.
My profile is not hidden. If it were, he would not be able to write to me. Anyone to whom he's written to prior to hiding his profile would continue to view and write to him. Likewise, if he initiated contact with someone while his profile was hidden, that person would be able to view and write to him as well. Until the profile was unhidden, there would also be a message at the top of the profile that reads, "Profile Hidden From Public View." So anyone that has access to it can see that it has been hidden.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships