Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2012, 01:26 AM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 59,063,729 times

Advertisements

a guy sends you a message and asked your name?

1. City History?

2. what made you join the site?

3. Your career?

4. What you are looking for?

I seem to struggle because I;m known for asking what part of the city are you from and how did you get interested in your line of work?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2012, 04:14 AM

11,228 posts, read 8,317,439 times
Don't go strait to "so, where do you live and work?". I'm guessing many woman interpret this as "I'm a stalker, and a lazy one at that.".

Eventually, if w are talking about meeting, I'll ask what part of town they live in, but I'll give up my info, partly on good faith, but more a an example of the vagueness I am hoping for. ("i live in #### community near exit 287")

I think/hope most women appreciate the effort to respect their privacy.

Talk about something in their profile. Make a genuine effort to get to know them better, and see what you may have in common.

Old 08-24-2012, 05:10 AM

589 posts, read 1,348,980 times
When I was using online dating, I made sure I had a few unusual, quirky things in my profile. When I got a message from someone, I read their profile, then decided how I would respond. If I wasn't interested, I would always respond and say so, and try to say why. Sometimes it's easy, like the guy who lived in another country. Sometimes it was based on bad spelling/grammar, once because right in the profile he stated that he had a harem of 4 girls, and was planning to build it to an even dozen!

Find something about them, in their profile, to ask about. "Your profile said you collect medieval weapons. Tell me about your collection" If their profile is a complete dud, I'm not sure why you would want to respond, but you could always go with "What was it about my profile that led you to contact me?" If the answer was 'you're female and withing 5/10/50 miles of me', I don't think I would bother continuing that conversation.

You could develop the 'lists of five' which I was doing for a while. "What are your five favorite _________?" I would list my five favorite stand up comics, movies, colors, foods, etc... just oddball things, and get his back. You can do a lot of weeding out that way. If his favorite comics run to people you hate, you don't share a sense of humor. If you're a classical music fan and his music runs to gangsta rap, it doesn't bode well.

Old 08-24-2012, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
Don't go strait to "so, where do you live and work?". I'm guessing many woman interpret this as "I'm a stalker, and a lazy one at that.".

Eventually, if w are talking about meeting, I'll ask what part of town they live in, but I'll give up my info, partly on good faith, but more a an example of the vagueness I am hoping for. ("i live in #### community near exit 287")

I think/hope most women appreciate the effort to respect their privacy.

Talk about something in their profile. Make a genuine effort to get to know them better, and see what you may have in common.

See I'm from the TELEPHONE DATING world and it's always been in me to ask "what part of the city are you from?

But I have had females ask me........"what company do you work for? HUH????

Old 08-24-2012, 03:32 PM

1,754 posts, read 2,470,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post

But I have had females ask me........"what company do you work for? HUH????
Do you even have a job?

Old 08-24-2012, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarrieM View Post
When I was using online dating, I made sure I had a few unusual, quirky things in my profile. When I got a message from someone, I read their profile, then decided how I would respond. If I wasn't interested, I would always respond and say so, and try to say why. Sometimes it's easy, like the guy who lived in another country. Sometimes it was based on bad spelling/grammar, once because right in the profile he stated that he had a harem of 4 girls, and was planning to build it to an even dozen!

Find something about them, in their profile, to ask about. "Your profile said you collect medieval weapons. Tell me about your collection" If their profile is a complete dud, I'm not sure why you would want to respond, but you could always go with "What was it about my profile that led you to contact me?" If the answer was 'you're female and withing 5/10/50 miles of me', I don't think I would bother continuing that conversation.

You could develop the 'lists of five' which I was doing for a while. "What are your five favorite _________?" I would list my five favorite stand up comics, movies, colors, foods, etc... just oddball things, and get his back. You can do a lot of weeding out that way. If his favorite comics run to people you hate, you don't share a sense of humor. If you're a classical music fan and his music runs to gangsta rap, it doesn't bode well.

So do you think work is a boring topic?

Old 08-24-2012, 03:37 PM

90 posts, read 131,608 times
Look for something in their profile that indicates a hobby or interest, or maybe one of their photos that shows an activity or trip. Ask about it. This online dating stuff is a far cry from the...oh, golly...old days. Back then we just agreed to the date and found out all this stuff over dinner. Now you have to kind of do the reverse.

Old 08-24-2012, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwamjn View Post
Do you even have a job?

When I was working I didn't like the question. It's a stupid question and irrelevant because it's not like she was ever coming there.

Old 08-24-2012, 04:05 PM

2,472 posts, read 4,216,832 times
Ask about interests before career or where she lives.

Old 08-24-2012, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slanderous View Post
Ask about interests before career or where she lives.

Sometimes they don't have them listed
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships