Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2011, 09:31 AM

2,650 posts, read 3,013,605 times

Advertisements

Lets see, recommended apps for an android phone. Angry Birds is popular but I personally ended up wanting to run my phone over with the car after reaching a level I couldn't beat after trying about 700 times. Its a battery hog. Wordz up is a standard find words in a field of letters game. Its quite popular and with good reason, its quick, can be dropped at any time and picked back up and uses little battery. Same can be said for Sudoku. Also in the entertainment category is Movies by Flixter. You can see whats on at the theaters near you, check out whats come out or coming out on DVD. You're out and about and wanna know if the episode of "X tv show" is going to be a rerun? usaTVdroid will look up whats on TV and give you the listing. You can filter channels, search for shows, get a synopsis, air date, and so on. I like to read and so I have ebook apps, personal choice there depending on if your already bought in with kindle for instance.

On the work side of things there are a number of expensing apps available, you kinda have to try those out and see which one meets your needs the best. There are calculators available that you can get if the stock calculator doesn't meet your needs, financial, chemical, conversion, tip, medical, and so on. If you go to google calender on your pc you can add or merge new calenders which will then be automatically synced to your phone. The holiday calender for instance is a no brainer. I like to hike and I use runkeeper to keep track of my hike. I keep track of the weather in multiple locations as I travel around a lot and weatherbug light works great for this. Stopwatch & Timer is a great app thats self explanatory. Think that picture on the wall might be a little crooked? Bubble will turn your phone into a level. It has both a fisheye and a bar. You can get a number of recipe apps and drink apps that can be handy, in the same vein there are shopping list apps that some like to use. I find it easier to just write it down on paper for every day shopping. I do use a shopping list app for costco though, I go there at irregular intervals to stock up and its handy to just add the stuff to the list on the phone until it comes time to bite the bullet and do the costco run.

By all means get google skymap. You point your phone up to the night sky and it will label all the stars planets etc. You can also search for stars, just type in say Arcturus and a little arrow will pop up and point the direction to the star in the sky. You follow the arrow till you get the star in the center of your screen. Then start comparing the screen to the night sky directly behind it and you be able to see your star. I really like this one.

Old 05-25-2011, 11:26 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,191,027 times
This has to be THE dumbest thing I've ever heard!

I'm calling my doctor's office. They always ask for DOB, so I say xx/xx/xx. Then she says: 19xx? No, you, moron! 18xx! 20xx!

Old 05-25-2011, 11:32 AM

12,940 posts, read 21,630,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crabman1 View Post
By all means get google skymap. You point your phone up to the night sky and it will label all the stars planets etc. You can also search for stars, just type in say Arcturus and a little arrow will pop up and point the direction to the star in the sky. You follow the arrow till you get the star in the center of your screen. Then start comparing the screen to the night sky directly behind it and you be able to see your star. I really like this one.
Wow - I don't have a smart phone so I didn't realize they had cool apps like this. That's really Star Trek technology, isn't it?!

Pretty soon they'll have a tricorder app that will diagnose your illnesses, as well as one that will give the nutritional value of your Big Mac when you scan it.

Old 05-25-2011, 02:42 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,720,278 times
I love my Droid, Crabman! I have Google Skymap too. I've never played Angry Birds, but my husband has gotten three stars on every level of all the games. Thank God. I was tired of seeing that game.

My dryer died last weekend. We ordered a new washer and dryer from Sears, and they were delivered this morning. Yesterday, around 4 p.m., my husband says, "Hey, since we're taking those out, should we replace the flooring?" The laundry room had some ugly old linoleum that came with the house ... okay, let's. We were up past midnight pulling two layers of linoleum up, and this morning he ripped up the floorboards because of old water damage, and then he figured he'd plumb the washer differently so it doesn't drain into the utility sink. Now I have a big hole in my wall, a plywood floor, and my washer and dryer in boxes in the garage.

I need to do laundry!! I never thought I'd say that.

Old 05-25-2011, 03:17 PM

2,650 posts, read 3,013,605 times
Ah, thats funny JJ, just remember that no job is so difficult that a man cant make it harder.

Old 05-25-2011, 03:39 PM

37,626 posts, read 46,035,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SifuPhil View Post
Wow - I don't have a smart phone so I didn't realize they had cool apps like this. That's really Star Trek technology, isn't it?!

Pretty soon they'll have a tricorder app that will diagnose your illnesses, as well as one that will give the nutritional value of your Big Mac when you scan it.
My son has an iPhone (believe me - I didn't buy ir nor do I pay the monthly bill! ) and one of the coolest aps (in my opinion) is when you hear a song and you want to know what it is...you just turn on the song-finder for a few seconds...and voilla! Now THAT is useful.

Old 05-25-2011, 03:41 PM

17,639 posts, read 22,653,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
I love my Droid, Crabman! I have Google Skymap too. I've never played Angry Birds, but my husband has gotten three stars on every level of all the games. Thank God. I was tired of seeing that game.

My dryer died last weekend. We ordered a new washer and dryer from Sears, and they were delivered this morning. Yesterday, around 4 p.m., my husband says, "Hey, since we're taking those out, should we replace the flooring?" The laundry room had some ugly old linoleum that came with the house ... okay, let's. We were up past midnight pulling two layers of linoleum up, and this morning he ripped up the floorboards because of old water damage, and then he figured he'd plumb the washer differently so it doesn't drain into the utility sink. Now I have a big hole in my wall, a plywood floor, and my washer and dryer in boxes in the garage.

I can see a trip to the Laundromat in your Future.

For the hole in the wall, use the good sheetrock used in moisture areas, like bathrooms.

It will get ALL better & Beautiful once again. sooon.

Old 05-25-2011, 03:56 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,570,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post

wfw&p alway say: One project beget three!

Old 05-25-2011, 04:10 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,570,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
This has to be THE dumbest thing I've ever heard!

I'm calling my doctor's office. They always ask for DOB, so I say xx/xx/xx. Then she says: 19xx? No, you, moron! 18xx! 20xx!
Well if the doctor comes in and asks for your gender that would be your queue to run like hell!

Old 05-25-2011, 04:14 PM

9,444 posts, read 17,390,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crabman1 View Post
Lets see, recommended apps for an android phone. Angry Birds is popular but I personally ended up wanting to run my phone over with the car after reaching a level I couldn't beat after trying about 700 times. Its a battery hog. Wordz up is a standard find words in a field of letters game. Its quite popular and with good reason, its quick, can be dropped at any time and picked back up and uses little battery. Same can be said for Sudoku. Also in the entertainment category is Movies by Flixter. You can see whats on at the theaters near you, check out whats come out or coming out on DVD. You're out and about and wanna know if the episode of "X tv show" is going to be a rerun? usaTVdroid will look up whats on TV and give you the listing. You can filter channels, search for shows, get a synopsis, air date, and so on. I like to read and so I have ebook apps, personal choice there depending on if your already bought in with kindle for instance.

On the work side of things there are a number of expensing apps available, you kinda have to try those out and see which one meets your needs the best. There are calculators available that you can get if the stock calculator doesn't meet your needs, financial, chemical, conversion, tip, medical, and so on. If you go to google calender on your pc you can add or merge new calenders which will then be automatically synced to your phone. The holiday calender for instance is a no brainer. I like to hike and I use runkeeper to keep track of my hike. I keep track of the weather in multiple locations as I travel around a lot and weatherbug light works great for this. Stopwatch & Timer is a great app thats self explanatory. Think that picture on the wall might be a little crooked? Bubble will turn your phone into a level. It has both a fisheye and a bar. You can get a number of recipe apps and drink apps that can be handy, in the same vein there are shopping list apps that some like to use. I find it easier to just write it down on paper for every day shopping. I do use a shopping list app for costco though, I go there at irregular intervals to stock up and its handy to just add the stuff to the list on the phone until it comes time to bite the bullet and do the costco run.

Thanks for all the tips! I had no idea there are so many different and useful applications on this phone.
The skymap sounds like such a cool app. to have. Definitely download that one.

So far, out of all the games, I only got myself Words With Friends. It's a scrabble game that you can play either with your friends or a random person. So far I'm kicking ass and English is not even my first language!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships