Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2011, 07:02 PM

1,006 posts, read 737,547 times

Advertisements

I've never been one to want a rich chick to take care of me. I've always earned far more than the women I date despite all of them being older than me. I hate receiving gifts but don't mind doing the "little" things for my lady to reassure her that I love her. What I DON'T do is try to take care of their every need while they are more than capable and presently earning income. I don't subscribe to gender roles.

Case in point, I've been dating this new young lady for about 4 months. Shes intelligent, gorgeous and really funny (don't run into many women that can purposely make me laugh). We get along very well but I'm starting to notice that she is EXTREMELY spoiled and delusional when it comes to taking care of herself. She's 30, I'm 27 (I earn approximately twice as much as she does) I'm shocked by her expectations of what a guy is "suppose" to do for her. Previously she dated her high school sweetheart for about 7 year and then on and off for about 3, in total 10 years. During this time he essentially took care of her through college, paid her rent after college when she moved to New York to "pursue" a fashion career. He bought her a new car when hers was repoed, etc.....basically playing the role of the father despite her being 29 when they finally broke up.

Now she has to provide for herself and recently (yesterday in fact) the transmission on her MERCEDES (the one he bought her) went out and the quote today was 4k to replace it. I have the money but I genuinely don't feel its my responsibility at this point to fund her repairs/endeavors considering shes taken 2 lavish vacations since we've met. She hasn't asked but I know its coming. I can't really call her a gold digger because either I cook or if we go out I'll offer to pay in most cases. We haven't gone on any vacations or purchased each other gifts and the likes. Just exclusively getting to know one another through evenings at dinner or walks in the park or quite evenings at home cooking.

Its obvious that her past relationship has distorted her perception of the man/woman relationship because she doesn't feel as if she needs to contribute much financially yet she and her boyfriend broke up because he worked all the time paying for her stuff.

She says shes working on it and I do see a little progress. Maybe this situation will bring her back to reality......if not, well.....she wont make the cut. I really don't feel as though I need to teach an adult how to be an adult despite the feelings we have for each other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2011, 07:07 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,845,499 times
If a 30 year-old is an "older woman" to you, I'm in big trouble, LOL

Old 04-26-2011, 07:10 PM

7,126 posts, read 8,672,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Tried to rep ya!

Old 04-26-2011, 07:11 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,257,761 times
Well, the guy is 27. 30 is oldER to him...

Old 04-26-2011, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Well I've always dated women older than me, the most being by 10 years. I don't consider them OLD, just older than I. I prefer wine over grape juice if you know what I mean.

Old 04-26-2011, 07:13 PM

17,869 posts, read 21,028,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
ha. I'm 29. I must be approaching over the hill for men, then.

Old 04-26-2011, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Thats the only point I'm trying to make, oldER. Not OLD.

Old 04-26-2011, 07:19 PM

1,413 posts, read 3,236,827 times
First off, a 3 year age difference isn't dating an older woman! If you were in Jr high, 3 years would be significant.

But none the less, you shouldn't pay her car repairs. After a couple months of dating, that would be too much to expect.

Only you can decide if dating a funny, intelliegent, beautiful woman is worth your time, effort and money. Although, I hear beautiful, intelliegent and funny women are hard to find.

Maybe skip the beautiful ones and just look for funny & smart.

Old 04-26-2011, 07:27 PM

37,715 posts, read 46,149,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moddestmike View Post
I've never been one to want a rich chick to take care of me. I've always earned far more than the women I date despite all of them being older than me. I hate receiving gifts but don't mind doing the "little" things for my lady to reassure her that I love her. What I DON'T do is try to take care of their every need while they are more than capable and presently earning income. I don't subscribe to gender roles.

Case in point, I've been dating this new young lady for about 4 months. Shes intelligent, gorgeous and really funny (don't run into many women that can purposely make me laugh). We get along very well but I'm starting to notice that she is EXTREMELY spoiled and delusional when it comes to taking care of herself. She's 30, I'm 27 (I earn approximately twice as much as she does) I'm shocked by her expectations of what a guy is "suppose" to do for her. Previously she dated her high school sweetheart for about 7 year and then on and off for about 3, in total 10 years. During this time he essentially took care of her through college, paid her rent after college when she moved to New York to "pursue" a fashion career. He bought her a new car when hers was repoed, etc.....basically playing the role of the father despite her being 29 when they finally broke up.
He obviously had the money to do so. If she dated the guy for 10 years, then she probably hasn't experienced much else. Why are you shocked??

Quote:
Now she has to provide for herself and recently (yesterday in fact) the transmission on her MERCEDES (the one he bought her) went out and the quote today was 4k to replace it. I have the money but I genuinely don't feel its my responsibility at this point to fund her repairs/endeavors considering shes taken 2 lavish vacations since we've met. She hasn't asked but I know its coming. I can't really call her a gold digger because either I cook or if we go out I'll offer to pay in most cases. We haven't gone on any vacations or purchased each other gifts and the likes. Just exclusively getting to know one another through evenings at dinner or walks in the park or quite evenings at home cooking.
She hasn't asked. So why are you upset? You haven't even bought gifts for each other, and you are complaining? I don't get it.

Quote:
Its obvious that her past relationship has distorted her perception of the man/woman relationship because she doesn't feel as if she needs to contribute much financially yet she and her boyfriend broke up because he worked all the time paying for her stuff.

She says shes working on it and I do see a little progress. Maybe this situation will bring her back to reality......if not, well.....she wont make the cut. I really don't feel as though I need to teach an adult how to be an adult despite the feelings we have for each other.
You've really lost me on this. What exactly is the problem? What has she done?

Old 04-26-2011, 07:28 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,845,499 times
Quote:
Older than him, YES, but HARDLY "an older woman"!

Good grief, I have jeans that are more than 30 years old and I don't even consider them old
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships