Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2011, 09:59 PM

9,444 posts, read 17,385,589 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I'm against, too much pressure. Too idealistic, unrealistic, Disney-esque. And this is coming from someone in a GOOD realtionship. /rofl

Compliments of Wiki:

Many have thought that this word represents divine, unconditional, self-sacrificing, active, volitional, and thoughtful love.
That's the thing...when it's really love, there is no pressure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2011, 10:04 PM

191 posts, read 120,197 times
I am SO incredibly relieved for this thread. It is nice to know that there are others who believe the same as I have for so long. Love is just love. No cynicism in any way, it is just what it is....love. Marriage is a completely different issue and partnership.

And sierraAZ has said it the best!

Old 05-02-2011, 10:06 PM

48,534 posts, read 34,863,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max's mama View Post
That's the thing...when it's really love, there is no pressure.
I so agree with you. I will qualify that I agree with agape, after the fact? A result of serendipity, but not a goal?

Sorry, I have too many girlfriends that are so Disney fairytale oriented (and always unhappy with the prince du jour), that I am probably nit picking.

Old 05-02-2011, 10:56 PM

1,589 posts, read 2,682,542 times
Sierra is wise.

Old 05-03-2011, 03:14 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,663,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
The Greeks had it right. They have 2 words for love: eros and agape, and they knew the two do not mix. Also, neither one of them is used in the sense of "I love burgers."

Religion aside, that guy got it right, too:

According to Nygren, agape and eros have nothing to do with each other, belonging to two entirely separate realms. The former is divine love that creates and bestows value even on the unlovable object, whereas the latter is pagan love that seeks its own fulfillment from any value in the object. The former, being altruistic, is the center of Christianity, whereas the latter is egocentric and non-Christian.

Agape - New World Encyclopedia
How about philia?

Old 05-03-2011, 04:04 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
It doesn't have to be EITHER OR.

I fell in love with my wife because of how exciting it was that we were so compatible!

The problem is more the stupid reasons people find others attractive...I find people who suit me and my personality and lifestyle and values and politics and intelligence...attractive! Of course, it helps that she's good looking and laughs at my jokes, but I have met lots of hot women that I didn't find attractive because of very basic incompatibilities.

Old 05-03-2011, 04:59 AM

12,940 posts, read 21,624,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
The Greeks had it right. They have 2 words for love: eros and agape, and they knew the two do not mix. Also, neither one of them is used in the sense of "I love burgers."
And what are their words for "weekly orgy" and "strong desire for little boys"?

Quote:
There is in fact evidence that romantic eros was seen as homosexual all over Greece. Sparta, even with its relatively free women, had homosexual relationships built into the structure of the training all young Spartan men received. In other Dorian areas also homosexuality was widely accepted. Thebes saw in the 4th century the creation of a battalion of homosexual lovers - the Sacred Band. In Crete we have evidence of ritualised abduction of younger by older men.
--Homosexual Eros in Greece
They were far from "right" - they stumbled the path just like we all still do.

Old 05-03-2011, 05:02 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,663,996 times
Or pragma type of love?

Old 05-03-2011, 07:32 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,170,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
How about philia?
That's friendship or liking/having affinity to something - not quite relevant here.

Old 05-03-2011, 08:18 AM

2,942 posts, read 6,008,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kagami46 View Post
No. This isn't "Please Teacher" (anime) where they fell in love after they were married. If they are not in love by the time they get married, they should not rely on the marriage to create the love between them. A good marriage will keep their love fresh throughout the marriage. By the way, watch "Please Teacher". It's an awesome anime and shows some of the problems a marriage have. In the end they agree that marriage is not perfect and there will be times where they hurt each other, but as long as they stick by eachother they'll be ok.
Sorry, that is just plain f 0 0 k ed up! They'll be times when they hurt each other? Sounds like a loving relationship. Divorce court is down the hall, first door on the left.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships