Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2011, 05:10 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,875,485 times

Advertisements

You'll have fun!

When I have a party, I am so busy that I barely see or speak to my husband the entire night.

It's harder to go to a party as the only single person than to host a party as a single person.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2011, 05:10 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,689,401 times
Default Lady KLO

I never looked at it that way. i would feel uncomfortable since i was never married and i wasn't well known in school, but man just seeing those people would bring back the DISCO and ME GENERATION i lived thru like no other!!

Old 05-08-2011, 05:37 PM

4,868 posts, read 8,410,470 times
meh, its only awkward when someone goes "so why are you here alone?"..then you're like "oh, its not big deal really...." except now that's its being inquired about, it is...

though hosting a party as a single, I can't imagine that being bad at all!

Old 05-08-2011, 07:09 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,999,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mir86 View Post
meh, its only awkward when someone goes "so why are you here alone?"..then you're like "oh, its not big deal really...." except now that's its being inquired about, it is...

though hosting a party as a single, I can't imagine that being bad at all!
Yeah, I'll just say my make believe BF had to work. I plan to have the party over 4th of July weekend and this is intentional. I figure this way I'll have a lower turnout. While there are some dishes I make well, I confess I don't know how to barbeque or make meats and stuff like that - especially for a big crowd. I have two racks of ribs I bought in the freezer but they've been there for months so not sure how they'd turn out. I make a great chinese barbequed (or baked barbequed tenderloin pork), but there again my tastes are usually ethnic. I suppose I could just make tacos or burgers and twist someone's arm to be in charge of grilling or practice in advance. Just a little bit nervous about the food. It's sort of a potluck so I could even make a huge batch of swedish meatballs with potato salad (store bought). So many choices but it gives me something to think about.

It's been a long time since I've had a party and I knew everyone quite well and it was just an all girls deal. I've never had a party with people I did not know well and not in mixed company. Even though an introvert, I do have good social skills (except sometimes on CD).

Old 05-08-2011, 11:10 PM

1,206 posts, read 2,927,776 times
I dont think you should feel anxious about being single. Many married people probably miss being single and will be jealous LOL

Old 05-09-2011, 06:57 AM

8,518 posts, read 15,643,526 times
A lot of single people buy into this idea that they can't really socialize with couples, especially if those couples have children. As soon as their single friend finds a partner or gets married, they act like they have to find new friends. But why would you shun your friends just because they have other people in their life now? I've been to parties where I was the only single person and it rarely bothered me. Sure, if there were activities where everyone had a partner, I'd be left out. But that was rare. And if anything, being the only single person there would become an advantage. The married guys would want to hear about the single life and see what they're missing out on. And inevitably, one of the people who was with someone would want to introduce me to another of their single friends.

Old 05-09-2011, 07:31 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,710,891 times
I certainly wouldn't think twice about being possibly the only single person in the group and I certainly wouldn't even think about saying the "make believe BF had to work" which is really daft. What I WOULD be concerned about is that by your own admission you're having a party on July 4th and have no clue what to cook. Is the party potluck or not (you said, "sort of" which is ambiguous)? You have plenty of time to iron out the details but instead of worrying about your single status you'd best knuckle down and decide exactly how and with what you're going to entertain your guests. Hopefully you asked them to RSVP so you know how many to expect? Good luck.

Old 05-09-2011, 07:39 AM

1,163 posts, read 1,995,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
I certainly wouldn't think twice about being possibly the only single person in the group and I certainly wouldn't even think about saying the "make believe BF had to work" which is really daft. What I WOULD be concerned about is that by your own admission you're having a party on July 4th and have no clue what to cook. Is the party potluck or not (you said, "sort of" which is ambiguous)? You have plenty of time to iron out the details but instead of worrying about your single status you'd best knuckle down and decide exactly how and with what you're going to entertain your guests. Hopefully you asked them to RSVP so you know how many to expect? Good luck.
I agree with STT here. You really should be worrying about the food! What will you make and will you have enough for everyone? Also, don't forget to make some treats for the party! Everyone like treats. Have fun! I'm sure everything will turn out great!

Old 05-09-2011, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Yes, it seems far off but it's not the way time flies. I figure if worst comes to worst I just buy something at the deli so I'm not too worried. I'll provide sodas and bottled water and anyone is welcome to bring their own bottle. And people do bring a dish to share and I don't want to stress over it (the food part) as the idea is to just have fun and get together. However, my original idea was just to get to know the people in the group better and when everyone brings their significant others that changes the whole dynamic. Oh, and I was just kidding about the make believe BF.

I have only just begun the dialogue and not even nailed down the date, but I'm thinking July 2nd. The organizer of the group will be the one to send out the announcement as that's the way things work in this group requesting that people RSVP to me.

Old 05-09-2011, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stressedCollegeGirl89 View Post
I agree with STT here. You really should be worrying about the food! What will you make and will you have enough for everyone? Also, don't forget to make some treats for the party! Everyone like treats. Have fun! I'm sure everything will turn out great!
The "treats" will be tortilla espanola bites and maybe mariachi chicken wings. Others can bring sweets, as I don't do sweets. I have about 200 cookbooks so somewhere in there is/are the recipes I need. Oh, and one of them is Martha Stewart's Entertaining so guess I'll need to sit down and read it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships