Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2011, 07:19 PM

12,940 posts, read 21,634,640 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
It's always the f ing electronic leashes people can't seem to break away from.
Yet sometimes those very same eLeashes are a lifeline for people in, shall we say, developmentally-disadvantaged areas.

Even wolves need company once in a while...

The OP's statement reminds me of a man sworn off of technology, a Luddite, watching a plane take off with his family on their vacation, cursing it all the while.

...or as the Bard mentioned in Julius Caesar -
"Men at some time are masters of their fates:
The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars,
But in ourselves, that we are underlings."

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2011, 07:39 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,207,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SifuPhil View Post
Yet sometimes those very same eLeashes are a lifeline for people in, shall we say, developmentally-disadvantaged areas.
On the other hand, if it weren't for that, maybe we'd get the hell out more!

Old 05-15-2011, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
On the other hand, if it weren't for that, maybe we'd get the hell out more!
Out to where? Where do you go when every street has a 1:1 ratio of bars to churches? When the downtown area (which barely qualifies as such) offers mainly college-student-aged diversions? When the biggest adult cultural attraction is the coal-mining tour?

I walk in the woods, I visit the river, say hello to the plants and animals. I ride my bike to nowhere in particular to get away from an un-named dread.

I should give up my DSL for what?!? And lose crisp repartee like this?

Old 05-15-2011, 07:54 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,207,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SifuPhil View Post
Out to where? Where do you go when every street has a 1:1 ratio of bars to churches? When the downtown area (which barely qualifies as such) offers mainly college-student-aged diversions? When the biggest adult cultural attraction is the coal-mining tour?

I walk in the woods, I visit the river, say hello to the plants and animals. I ride my bike to nowhere in particular to get away from an un-named dread.

I should give up my DSL for what?!? And lose crisp repartee like this?
Oh, don't get me started on that... I've no desire to leave the house anymore, either. It's total disgust everywhere for one reason or another. Was about to rant about that last night, but decided against it. Damn be the day! You know which day!

Old 05-15-2011, 08:39 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,972,572 times
Some groups are like cults. They alienate people who are natural born leaders or independent

Old 05-15-2011, 08:42 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,972,572 times
Technology is the scapegoat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by funymann View Post
Started with fax machines. Getting the info to the other person without ever having to talk to them.

Then it went to email and facebook.

Pretty soon you won't have to leave your house or even speak to another individual.

Old 05-15-2011, 09:01 PM

1,561 posts, read 2,206,394 times
For crying out loud! You folks are not lone wolves. Just typical modern urban dwellers. Surrounded by so many people that you pull away to maintain some semblance of privacy. Sure most of your fellow herd is only interested in electronic grazing and having their hearing plugged with noise makers as they wend through the mass of humanity that surrounds all of you. But just because you lament the herd membership, it does not cast you from it.

Real Lone Wolves are not accepted by the pack. They make their own way with only a occasional howling at the moon. We are lonely but at the same time we are not, since we accept the fact we are not like you.

Old 05-15-2011, 09:13 PM

1,321 posts, read 2,109,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Technology is the scapegoat.
I blame Gutenberg.

Old 05-15-2011, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattB4 View Post
Real Lone Wolves are not accepted by the pack. They make their own way with only a occasional howling at the moon. We are lonely but at the same time we are not, since we accept the fact we are not like you.
Believe me - without any ID at all, no house, no bank accounts, no car, jobs paid in cash? Try getting accepted at the Social Security or DMV windows. Try buying a house, a car. Try to get a job in any real business. Try to travel. Heck, try getting married. Accepting PayPal payments.

Not accepted by the "pack"?

Old 05-15-2011, 09:15 PM

17,869 posts, read 21,012,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Vanderburgh View Post
I blame Gutenberg.
Haters gonna hate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships