Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2011, 04:10 PM

295 posts, read 838,012 times

Advertisements

name-change-dilemma-women-marriage-wsj: Personal Finance News from Yahoo! Finance

I think my fiancée would be a bit hurt if I didn't take his last name, but then again, we're under 30 and still in the early stages of our respective careers. What do you guys think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2011, 04:17 PM

1,321 posts, read 2,107,900 times
I know a guy who took his wife's name because he got along better with her family than his own.

Old 05-16-2011, 05:01 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,270,611 times
What line of work are you in? If it's publishing, science, medicine, law, performing arts, academics, or anything that relies on your name as your brand or requires you to publish research, don't do it. I don't care how incredible you think your marriage will be and how you will never ever ever get divorced ever, keep your own name if your name is important to your career.

Old 05-16-2011, 05:28 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,694,356 times
lol, the comments:

Quote:
What Dilemma, it has been a tradition....
You want the Strong/Confident type, or do you want the weaselly/sensitive little limp wristed metro sexual.? Because ladies you CAN'T have both.
So make up your mind, or stay un-married, leach child support off of a decent guy, and date that brother T-Bone in the next apartment, and end up with (hpv) that turns into GENIT@L Warts. I mean "HEY" it's your V@G, do with it what you want, just don't cry and say "poor piity me", when you are 32 years old, and no one wants your battered and sore encrusted V@G, not even T-bone, cause the brother has moved on to your inept younger sister, and now she has Warts..
But "HEY", you know what's best for you, and forget the method that has been "proven" to keep you safe, happy, loved, and wart free.
Who wants to be happy in the end anyway "right"..??
So go ahead and be revolutionary, a Rebel, you are sooo awesome, and smart, you don't need to live the way "THEY" ( The MAN i.e the System) want you to, nothing bad is gonna happen to you, because you are unique, you are special.
Just go to the Local PUB, you will see 30 somethings like this, and it's sooo pathetic it is Funny, you can see the desperate look in their eyes, trying so hard to sucker some guy into their cesspool of a life.
I'm so glad I don't have to worry about any of that., but "HEY".

Old 05-16-2011, 07:38 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,073,381 times
We married when we were 24 and I took my husbands last name for the simple fact that it was common and easy to pronounce.

I was so tired of spelling my last name for people, people mispronouncing my last name and making assumptions about my background based on my last name.

It was an easy decision.

Old 05-16-2011, 07:54 PM

5,460 posts, read 7,762,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Organized Mess View Post
name-change-dilemma-women-marriage-wsj: Personal Finance News from Yahoo! Finance

I think my fiancée would be a bit hurt if I didn't take his last name, but then again, we're under 30 and still in the early stages of our respective careers. What do you guys think?
My philosophy? Do whatever makes you the most happy

Whether that means taking your fiancé's last name, hyphenating both names, or keeping your maiden name, the choice is yours my friend

Old 05-16-2011, 08:32 PM

27,347 posts, read 27,400,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Organized Mess View Post

These days more and more people are doing that, no big deal. I personally know at least 3 couples where the wife kept her name. And if I ever were to marry again, I would keep mine. If the guy really wanted to be with you, he'd accept it. Just my 2c.

Old 05-16-2011, 08:39 PM

3,488 posts, read 8,222,089 times
I took my husband's last name and was happy to. I think he would have been really hurt if I'd insisted on keeping my maiden name and rejected his.

I would totally consider double barreling both names if they went well together and I felt strongly about keeping my maiden name, but it wasn't a big deal to me, it would make him happy for me to take his name and as I'm not famous or anything, it was a no brainer.

Old 05-16-2011, 08:54 PM

1,073 posts, read 2,687,064 times
I happily took my husband's name. I liked his last name, and wasn't particularly attached to my family name. I also wanted to have the same last name as my children.

That said, I think a woman / couple should do whatever feels right. One of my friends married last year and they chose a completely new last name together. They are the second couple I have known to do this. Another couple I knew blended their last names to create a new married name for them both. I actually suggested this to my husband and without hesitation he said "no." It wasn't a big deal to me.

Old 05-16-2011, 09:21 PM

1,589 posts, read 2,682,542 times
I use my maiden name professionally and my husband's name socially. If I had been younger when we married and not so well-established professionally, I would have taken his name. Having the same last name feels more unified and solid as a family unit, IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships