Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2011, 05:32 AM

1,338 posts, read 2,566,698 times

Advertisements

I am writing a paper about how the meaning of the word 'Marriage' means different things in different societies.
For the larger population if you say you are married it is assumed that you are married to one other heterosexual partner...
however there are other types of marriage, Polygamy is not widely accepted outside of the various societies who are polygamous. and Gay Marriage is not only unacceptable to a lot of people they are not legally recognized in many parts of the world.

I am just at the reading and sourcing stage and have a few weeks of work ahead but I just thought I would ask if anyone has any interesting thoughts / links they would care to share. I am esp interested in polygamous societies..
I'll be spending the next few days 'googling'...

I'm not saying if I think either are right or wrong, I just need to explore them from other societies viewpoints.

I don't now the bible's readings well. Are there any specific readings that are considered to be relevant ??

Any thought and advice greatly appreciated.

I did post this in Great Debates but then thought this might be the best place for it....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2011, 06:19 AM

1,298 posts, read 2,239,734 times
What does the Bible say about marriage?

This is pretty good reference as far as the Bible questions go. Marriage to me is between a man and a woman, yes, I'm going there, it's my beliefs. who choose to forsake all others and cling to one another, to love trust and to take care of each other, to be there in good and bad.

Old 05-19-2011, 07:39 AM

5,987 posts, read 10,476,314 times
Polygamy is almost always based on some religious teaching or other, and is almost always repressive and controlling of women based on male dominance and control. It is far from an equal partnership of any kind, so I am opposed to polygamy on this basis. Polyamory, in contrast, is a fully consensual arrangement and can have any number of male and female members in the relationship.

I would support polyamorous type marriage, but since that would re-open the door to repressive male-dominated polygamous style marriages, I remain opposed unless religious polygamy can be excluded.

On an ethical basis and from a human rights/civil liberties perspective, I think any two people who want to marry should be given the equal rights - and responsibilities - of marriage, regardless of their gender. I think that governments - federal, state, or otherwise - that make laws prohibiting marriage except between a man and a woman are actually making laws that support a church or religious view of marriage. This is contrary to the constitution, and there is no legitimate government interest or public benefit accruing from the prohibition.

Old 05-19-2011, 07:48 AM

1,338 posts, read 2,566,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaoistDude View Post
Polygamy is almost always based on some religious teaching or other, and is almost always repressive and controlling of women based on male dominance and control. It is far from an equal partnership of any kind, so I am opposed to polygamy on this basis. Polyamory, in contrast, is a fully consensual arrangement and can have any number of male and female members in the relationship.

I would support polyamorous type marriage, but since that would re-open the door to repressive male-dominated polygamous style marriages, I remain opposed unless religious polygamy can be excluded.

On an ethical basis and from a human rights/civil liberties perspective, I think any two people who want to marry should be given the equal rights - and responsibilities - of marriage, regardless of their gender. I think that governments - federal, state, or otherwise - that make laws prohibiting marriage except between a man and a woman are actually making laws that support a church or religious view of marriage. This is contrary to the constitution, and there is no legitimate government interest or public benefit accruing from the prohibition.
Interesting point. Thank you.

I am looking into some African tribes who also have multiple wives as the infant mortality rate so high. as an alternative to the religious aspect...

Old 05-19-2011, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swisswife View Post
Interesting point. Thank you.

I am looking into some African tribes who also have multiple wives as the infant mortality rate so high. as an alternative to the religious aspect...
Primitive societies or those with little access to modern health care are special cases - I was answering from a typical western perspective. In the tribe you are studying, if polygamy is practiced, what happens to the men without wives? Is there a large imbalance in the number of men and women? Or, is it not actually polygamy that's practiced?

Old 05-19-2011, 08:11 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,720,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaoistDude View Post

I agree with everything Tao said here. Marriage, to me, is the mutual agreement of two people who commit to one another in the long term, and I believe it to be the keystone to society. I support gay marriage, and I support rewards for marriage. If people commit to one another but do not wish to have a recognized marriage, that's fine, but I still value the institution.

Polygamy is problematic for me because of the legal aspects (for instance, how does Spouse A divorce Spouse B but not Spouse C, while B and C remain married?), and I agree with Tao that polygyny (most polygamst marriages are polygynist) has historically not been an equal relationship. A harem is a collection of possessions, not a marriage among partners.

Polyamorous groups who want to live together and take care of one another--knock yourselves out. That's good. If they can figure out the legal tangles, I'd support polygamy for them.

Old 05-19-2011, 08:28 AM

12,585 posts, read 16,961,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by round4 View Post
What does the Bible say about marriage?

This is pretty good reference as far as the Bible questions go. Marriage to me is between a man and a woman, yes, I'm going there, it's my beliefs. who choose to forsake all others and cling to one another, to love trust and to take care of each other, to be there in good and bad.
You're right!

Society has perverted the sacred union of marriage and distorted the ideals of the original arrangement.

I watched 10 seconds of a clip about 2 gay men raising 12 adopted children. I turned it off.

Why would they even allow this? So many unanswered questions as to who in the world is promoting this junk!!

Marriage is God's arrangement. When you pervert something God made or established I wouldn't want to be you. Plain and simple.

"Modern Family" hodge podge!!! We live in a modern day Sodom and Gomorrah. Good news it will all be over soon.

Old 05-19-2011, 08:47 AM

Marriage in various forms existed long before man invented god, especially recent monotheistic gods.

Old 05-19-2011, 08:48 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,720,278 times
A good drinking game: Shots every time the word "perverted" comes up in this thread.

Old 05-19-2011, 08:58 AM

1,561 posts, read 2,205,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
A good drinking game: Shots every time the word "perverted" comes up in this thread.
Perverted, perverted, perverted... what can I say? I play to lose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships