Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2009, 11:23 AM

7,364 posts, read 14,681,875 times

Advertisements

What on earth is going on? I can't find a man my own age who will even look my way!

Is it the end of the world for a man to date a woman his own age?

Meeting people socially or online, its all the same. Only men in their 50s are interested in me. I am in great shape (size 6), totally self-sufficient with a stable career, well read with a variety of interests...

For an example I tried match.com, but I'm getting nowhere. I did a reverse search to see who out there might be looking for me based on my demographics (age, race, etc) and one of my main interests: cycling. I got ZERO hits. NONE.

Why is it the end of the world for a man to date a women his own age?

And please, don't give me the bogus "starting a family" excuse for only dating women much younger. that's true in a small percentage of cases and I can see their point. But for the most part, even 40 year old men who are single fathers with no desire to have more children find me too old.

I am reaching the point in which I feel depressed and lonely everyday. Of course, that's not helping my cause because people can smell that "depressed and lonely" vibe from miles away. It's not attractive, and I know it. But I've not been involved with anyone since my divorce in 2005. It's depressing.

Old 11-13-2009, 11:29 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,736,641 times
Be more involved with yourself - take up some new hobbies and interests and make all sorts of new friends and acquaintances outside the realm of eligible men. You don't have to have a man in your life to be a fulfilled woman. Good luck!

Old 11-13-2009, 11:37 AM

19,655 posts, read 12,248,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Be more involved with yourself - take up some new hobbies and interests and make all sorts of new friends and acquaintances outside the realm of eligible men. You don't have to have a man in your life to be a fulfilled woman. Good luck!
Yes but she just wants to date the same demographic of people she would have been dating before - those her in her age group. It seems logical. Just put the pieces together and you have your answer. Guys need to fess up to this once and for all.

Old 11-13-2009, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
I never said I feel my life is unfufilled. I am a human being who would like to have love, companionship, sex and intimacy in my life, the same things everyone else wants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Yes but she just wants to date the same demographic of people she would have been dating before - those her in her age group. It seems logical. Just put the pieces together and you have your answer. Guys need to fess up to this once and for all.
I don't think they will ever fess up... in fact I'll bet a 55 year old man will come along and explain to me that I should give older men a shot.

Old 11-13-2009, 11:50 AM

8,568 posts, read 18,119,975 times
You're not over the hill, you're under. Give it a few years. 40s is when the men start looking. In the meantime, have a blast. Find friends who enjoy what you do. You never know - one of them may have a male friend who might enjoy cycling if only he found someone to do it with. You're missing him now because he isn't currently "into" cycling.

Old 11-13-2009, 11:58 AM

27 posts, read 68,682 times
Girlfriend, I hear your pain. I am 38, no kids, great career and can't find an equal. The last date I went out on, the man was 53. Not that there is anything wrong with 53, but our interests are views are far, far apart. I have done the internet thing as well with no luck. What I found very amusing was eharmony. They talk about there computerized matching program. My girlfriend and I, who are complete opposites of one another, were matched with the same 10 men. There is NO way in heck that she or I would ever be interested in the same type of man. So we paid for a bogus dating website.

It can get frustrating. I am not moping around on a daily basis, but would like to have a companion for the same reasons you mentioned. I am independent and don't need someone to fix anything, but would enjoy a consistent, cool dude in my life.

Old 11-13-2009, 12:03 PM

2,043 posts, read 5,055,320 times
Find you a young stunna....COUGAR it up! There are a lot of younger men, who are mature for their age, who may treat you like a queen. Don't knock it, til you've tried it, hon.

Old 11-13-2009, 12:07 PM

4,320 posts, read 5,142,282 times
Onglet39, you seem to poo-poo the older men who would be interested in you, what gives? This is just a dating fact-of-life, for the most part men want to date younger women and vice versa. May as well get on board with it: late 40s and 50s should be your target age group. I'm 47, and target women in their 30s.

But I will say, when it comes to online dating, it turns us all into agists and idealists!! We think we can open the catalog and order exactly what we want. Utterly ridiculous (except when it works).

Old 11-13-2009, 12:08 PM

7,005 posts, read 21,345,835 times
Where are you located? I'll date you in a heartbeat!!

Old 11-13-2009, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfunk2funk View Post
Girlfriend, I hear your pain. I am 38, no kids, great career and can't find an equal. The last date I went out on, the man was 53. Not that there is anything wrong with 53, but our interests are views are far, far apart. I have done the internet thing as well with no luck. What I found very amusing was eharmony. They talk about there computerized matching program. My girlfriend and I, who are complete opposites of one another, were matched with the same 10 men. There is NO way in heck that she or I would ever be interested in the same type of man. So we paid for a bogus dating website.

It can get frustrating. I am not moping around on a daily basis, but would like to have a companion for the same reasons you mentioned. I am independent and don't need someone to fix anything, but would enjoy a consistent, cool dude in my life.
It's funny, because people are always saying "its all in your head" "you're wrong, there are plenty out there who would be interested" blah blah blah. And some of the people who tell me that are single male colleagues of mine who all are dating 30 year old women! But its just a coincidence of course, they didn't set out to date someone so much younger.

You and I both know that we are speaking the truth here. I don't know what to do.

Yes, I was burned by eharmony too! Total waste of time and money. My current paid period on Match is going to expire in a few weeks, and I will not renew. Nobody checks off my age as being acceptable unless they are in their 50s. And as you just said, I just want to date someone who is in a similar life phase as me. That's not too much to ask. Or it shouldn't be.

I don't need a daddy, I don't need a care-taker, and I don't need to take care of someone. Occasional dinners, outings here and there... I don't need much.

I'm starting to think I'm going to become one of those women who posts "Vacation pictures with my dog" on facebook etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships