Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2011, 12:38 PM

609 posts, read 1,139,059 times

Advertisements

....that doesn't like hugging me.

What I find odd is that she will be comfortable hugging anyone else, and even moreso with a potential boyfriend, but she struggles to hug me. The only time I got a hug from her in my 8 years of knowing her was because she was freaking out about a Halloween party some years ago, and I made everything work. It was more like a surprise half-hug, and it caught me off guard...

I know I don't stink because I bathe daily....lol

...so what is it? She says I'm like a brother to her, but hell, I hug my brother from time to time.

I'm curious for answers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2011, 12:49 PM

2,596 posts, read 5,580,467 times
The fact that you've thought so much about this when others would have probably shrugged it off or not noticed makes me wonder if perhaps you have romantic feelings for her. If so, she may be keeping her distance as not to lead you on or get caught in an uncomfortable position. Or, maybe she has a boyfriend and doesn't want to make him jealous by hugging you.

Old 05-09-2011, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by h886 View Post
The fact that you've thought so much about this when others would have probably shrugged it off or not noticed makes me wonder if perhaps you have romantic feelings for her. If so, she may be keeping her distance as not to lead you on or get caught in an uncomfortable position. Or, maybe she has a boyfriend and doesn't want to make him jealous by hugging you.
Well, if that's the case, she would have never offered me to live with her. We lived together for 5 years and nothing happened. Even after I moved out we still hang out and stuff, and she still invites me over, but I was just wondering. Her other friends hug her all the time. But why keep her distance when she sees me all the time?

Old 05-09-2011, 01:01 PM

3,083 posts, read 4,875,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h886 View Post
that was my first thought

Old 05-09-2011, 01:25 PM

52 posts, read 96,627 times
Maybe you are too obvious with your little crush on her. Maybe she sees you have romantic feelings for her (it shows with the way you seem a little jealous of others she hugs) and doesn't want to ruin your friendship by leading you on.

Old 05-09-2011, 01:34 PM

Sigh. I give up.

I HAD a crush on a my best friend, but I got over that. I was just wondering. Like when I drop her off at the airport, etc...those kind of situations, but you all are only seeing is that there is possibly some sort of romantic thing I have for this woman.

So you guys don't hug your good friends goodbye/hello? Is there something wrong with that?

I guess it really doesn't matter.

Old 05-09-2011, 01:42 PM

maybe she suspected the past crush isnt over yet...

Old 05-09-2011, 01:42 PM

538 posts, read 1,521,430 times
Wow, I could have written the same post the OP did. My best friend has always been a female. I never had a crush on her, though, but she used to have a crush on me.

Because of that, she would hug every single person she knew, except me for some reason. She even changed out of a shirt and into a bikini top in front of six guys and only made ME turn around. No joke--six lucky dudes got to see her boobs and I had to turn around--and I was her best friend.

Again, I didn't have a crush on her, but she had one on me, but she didn't admit it until about fifteen years later. Then it all made sense, but those were some weird fifteen years.

But it DOES matter, OP. I totally understand what you are saying here. It's hurtful when a friend treats you differently than other people, especially in my case when it's a best friend.

We are still going through this a little bit today. We talk on the phone every day, but she never makes time to SEE me; yet she will get together with mere acquaintances at the drop of a hat. I am thinking that her crush may be back and while talking on the phone is okay, she is too scared to see me in person. Who knows! Or maybe she knows I will never have a crush on her and she resents me that she can't shake her crush on me?

Old 05-09-2011, 01:51 PM

12,940 posts, read 21,616,853 times
Chalk it up to the probable fact that women are mysterious creatures whom we'll never understand and simply move on.

Here's a thought: women find it easy to have male admirers and lovers and booty calls and all that, but they often complain of not having many friends - "true" friends. Perhaps even the whiff of impropriety - of some sexual feelings being brought in to spoil the friendship - is strong enough to make her avoid any potentially compromising situation.

Old 05-09-2011, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinetic_A View Post
Sigh. I give up.

I HAD a crush on a my best friend, but I got over that. I was just wondering. Like when I drop her off at the airport, etc...those kind of situations, but you all are only seeing is that there is possibly some sort of romantic thing I have for this woman.

So you guys don't hug your good friends goodbye/hello? Is there something wrong with that?

I guess it really doesn't matter.
Have you tried talking to her about this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships