Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2015, 05:41 PM

39,228 posts, read 27,611,062 times

Advertisements

Yes. I have friends who have had felony criminal records. They (both of them) happen to be great guys. People make mistakes and sometimes society is not willing to give them a second chance. I don't judge a person's character based on his past. Depends on the situation, I will not automatically say no.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2015, 06:54 PM

645 posts, read 750,967 times
I personally wouldn't....most cant even get a job when they get out and end up going back to prison....I wouldn't trust them because of their past and lifestyle.....especially a murderer.. I mean would anyone really want to date a murderer???

Old 11-16-2015, 07:51 PM

1,285 posts, read 1,289,482 times
Some of the most genuine and caring friends are the ones who hit bottom and turned it around. There are many around you who were one dumbass friend/acquaintance away from having a felony conviction, and they turned it around, and have no record to have to bring the story up. Btw certain felony convictions can be expunged or reduced to a misdemeanor, just saying that they don't have a felony on their record doesn't mean they haven't committed one. Sometimes you shouldn't condemn someone for some dumb thing they did when they were younger.

I'm lucky that my wife didn't stop dating me when I told her my past. She gave me a break because I'm not that same " I can get away with anything" punk that I was at 20. Yes felony conviction and never got caught for many more things, while getting a university degree, starting a successful business, I'm not the same person I was back then. Having a felony made me start a business, since no one would hire me. Of course after a few years I used my earnings to hire an attorney to expunge my felony conviction, and several misdemeanors. In a way, that felony made me my own boss, because if I was hired back then, I would probably still work for some corporation and have to answer to someone else.

Old 11-17-2015, 07:55 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,980,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaneisha1 View Post
I recived a felony at the age of 18 actually it was 4 days after i turned 18. I at the time was a home health aide, cna and a medical assistant. I also however was attending college my goal was to get my lpn and continue to get my rn and i knew i was going to receive my bachelor's and even still continue my education in as many and learn as much as i could. I did not come from a family of proverty nor did grow up in the slums. I traveled the world with my family. I was a straight up and down military brat with ambition. My entire family i guess you could say did well my aunts are now retired school teachers, nurses, two cousins just finished law school, 1 sister graduating high school with a 3.8 gpa entering college to get her rn and then she want to join the military ( follow the family tradition), my other sister just graduated college for sports medicine, grandfather rest his soul not only finished college but he also went back and received his doctrine and he was at the time of his death a professor and he taught kids how to play any musical instrument you threw his way. He also tutored any subject they struggled with and needed to advance in and he retired from the air force. my parents same story college graduates. How did i become a felon? Well i went shopping with a cousin to a td max and low and behold to me i had no clue she had become strung out on crack cocaine and decided to go on a stealing spree. I purchased my items walked out side looked around couldnt find her and went back in the store looking everywhere for her and finally she appeared and told me she couldnt find anything so we headed out the store and as we where walking a man out of no where grabbed me with no warning and grabbed my purse off my arm and i started screaming and fighting with him to get possession of my purse. I was very upset and i used the drop and kick the knee and punch in balls (forgive my wording) technique my dad taught me incase someone ever tried to kidnapp me. Well opps it was an off duty police officer working part time as security. Well i didnt find this out until police cars came out of no where and grabbed and tackled me and my cousin as i was screaming not me get him get his ass dont let him get away and told to shut the h and f up and pepper sprayed and put in a police car in tears and once i got to the station is when i found out why i was arrested and now also charged with assult on an officer and told yeah yeah tell it to the judge. I was given a public defender who told me just plead no contest and you will receive time served for the three days youve been in here and you will be released i was like ok ill do it i was young scared and couldnt tell my parents im in jail they had state and government jobs and what would pepole think oh my. Well guess what i was fired from my job 1 year later and kicked out of the nursing program 4 months later because of the felony charges and havent been able to get a descent job except for housekeeping, telemarketing and being a waitress. Lol but hay im only a no good for nothing criminal rite? People beware of what you say and how you judge it could happen to you. I was one of you guys judgemental and harsh on my opinions of felonies and look at me now!!!
I don't believe you. If you had the family you say you have, then they would have been and still would be more than willing to help out with a LAWYER to EXPUNGE your record.

Security at stores are not police officers. They have no right to actually hold someone there.

One reason not to deal with felons is that they become habitual liars. It's not just the crimes committed.

Old 11-17-2015, 10:18 AM

4,299 posts, read 2,811,465 times
Probably not but everyone makes mistakes. Lord knows I'm very flawed. The world can easily treat you like a criminal even when you're not. I can attest to that (though I have never been convicted it certainly feels like it)

Murder or rape...NO exceptions when it comes to dating

Scam/theft. Something that is difficult to accept. I don't know if scamming is a felony (in many cases it should be! esp with that timeshare crap) but if it is it's not an easy decision. I have been scammed so if you tell me you scammed someone I would have to know a lot more about it. If I know that you're just scamming someone back to get what they took from you that is okay. In fact I would envy you provided I knew you were telling the truth..wish I had the gall to do that. Theft is slightly different as it is more likely that the law would take it seriously so you wouldn't have to take it into your own hands but maybe in some cases the criminal gets off scot free. The law is not fair.
Shoplifting can be okay. It would be particularly petty to be bothered if they say shoplifted a bar of soap or toilet paper. There are many variables but generally it would be okay with me if you shoplifted in your past.

Selling drugs is one I could easily be reasonable with. It is a legit business. Some decent celebrities have probably sold drugs before they got big. I know of at least one. It's something that I would personally find extremely difficult to do but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do to keep your head above water.

Doing drugs would be a little more difficult for me than actually selling them but I can also forgive this too. I'm sure a lot of guys have tried drugs at some point in their life..it's no biggie. I would not date someone who was still doing them. That's a deal breaker for me esp smokers (the smell of weed makes me literally ill). I just have to be sure that they are clean for a reasonable amount of time and are serious about staying that way.

As for getting a job, I find that felons have an easier time getting a job than me. Atm I can't get a job anyway so what does it matter about my record? Maybe we can help each other get a job..who knows.

Last edited by Nickchick; 11-17-2015 at 10:28 AM..

Old 11-17-2015, 10:49 AM

1,881 posts, read 1,483,683 times
Depends on the charge. Some things shouldn't be felonies, IMHO.

Old 11-17-2015, 10:59 AM

6,793 posts, read 5,663,842 times
yes... certainly.

But probably not if it were a violent crime...

Old 11-17-2015, 02:38 PM

1,846 posts, read 2,045,240 times
Why would I bother with a girl with a checkered past when I can find someone that is just as great without a questionable past?

I don't believe people really change?

Old 11-29-2015, 12:05 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,980,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooplaman View Post
Why would I bother with a girl with a checkered past when I can find someone that is just as great without a questionable past?

I don't believe people really change?
Maybe they do, maybe they don't but all that doesn't matter. A person's criminal record will be a barrier to employment and housing opportunities. So her bad situation would affect you negatively if you were in a long term relationship.

Old 11-29-2015, 02:47 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,048,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
I don't believe you. If you had the family you say you have, then they would have been and still would be more than willing to help out with a LAWYER to EXPUNGE your record.

Security at stores are not police officers. They have no right to actually hold someone there.

One reason not to deal with felons is that they become habitual liars. It's not just the crimes committed.
Lawyers do not expunge felonies. Only misdemeanors are expunged.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships