Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2011, 05:16 AM

3 posts, read 1,679 times

Advertisements

I was in a relationship with a man almost 2 years ago, we dated for 2 years. We are still friends and lately he has been talking to me alot. Neither one of us have dated since our break up but he drunk dials me every weekend lately and he calls me really mean names.. sl*t, wh*re, skank, b*tch and i don't know if it's from him being drunk or he really feels this way. Should I confront him or play it off like you can't hurt me? Idk what to do this isn't the guy I know. But in all honesty I still care about him but not in love with him. But my emotions have me confused as to what to do.... Please help me...Any advice would be great. Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2011, 05:53 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,487,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkie67 View Post
I was in a relationship with a man almost 2 years ago, we dated for 2 years. We are still friends and lately he has been talking to me alot. Neither one of us have dated since our break up but he drunk dials me every weekend lately and he calls me really mean names.. sl*t, wh*re, skank, b*tch and i don't know if it's from him being drunk or he really feels this way. Should I confront him or play it off like you can't hurt me? Idk what to do this isn't the guy I know. But in all honesty I still care about him but not in love with him. But my emotions have me confused as to what to do.... Please help me...Any advice would be great. Thank you
Well, if what you want for a life partner is a foul mouthed,obnoxious drunk, then you may want to hold on to this guy. But if you want better for yourself,which I hope you do, then I think you should ignore him and hope he goes away. Try to remember that alcohol relaxes ones inhibitions. Allowing them to say what they are truly thinking. Whereas a sober person would most likely keep it to themselves. His abuse is verbal now. It rarely stays that way. It ALMOST ALWAYS becomes physical later on. Especially as he loses his battle with the booze. Good luck and please remember that you deserve better.

Old 06-05-2011, 06:29 AM

16,224 posts, read 25,669,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Dan View Post
Well, if what you want for a life partner is a foul mouthed,obnoxious drunk, then you may want to hold on to this guy. But if you want better for yourself,which I hope you do, then I think you should ignore him and hope he goes away. Try to remember that alcohol relaxes ones inhibitions. Allowing them to say what they are truly thinking. Whereas a sober person would most likely keep it to themselves. His abuse is verbal now. It rarely stays that way. It ALMOST ALWAYS becomes physical later on. Especially as he loses his battle with the booze. Good luck and please remember that you deserve better.
This is a great post!! I hope you take his advice..Good Luck!

Old 06-05-2011, 06:31 AM

1,568 posts, read 3,227,865 times
Sounds like a Gem....

Old 06-05-2011, 06:34 AM

3,863 posts, read 6,297,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Dan View Post
His abuse is verbal now. It rarely stays that way. It ALMOST ALWAYS becomes physical later on. Especially as he loses his battle with the booze. Good luck and please remember that you deserve better.

This ^^^ and, he will treat any children you may have the same way. Run, and run now.

Edited to add: Your title makes me say, you're not the one who needs the help. You need clarity, and you must not rely on emotion here. You say you do not love him, and my guess is you want to "Fix" him. You can't. I'm sorry.

Old 06-05-2011, 07:00 AM

1,561 posts, read 2,205,322 times
Hang up without talking to the guy. Have no communication whatsoever. You and him are not friends.

Old 06-05-2011, 07:11 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,710,891 times
Good that you're not in love with him but don't subject yourself to these drunk dials every weekend. No reason why you can't talk to him when he's sober (if you want to) but hang up on the drunk dials immediately and shut your phone off for a few hours or overnight if necessary. He can only abuse you this way if you allow him to. Some friend. Good luck.

Old 06-05-2011, 07:14 AM

28,897 posts, read 30,274,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkie67 View Post
I wouldn't want someone who calls me names like that in my life, period...he's degrading you and trying to make you feel insecure. It for some reason, boosts his ego to hurt you...he is extremely insecure and you apparently intimidate him, and if I were you, I'd be very happy to find this out...and walk the other way, without once ever looking back...a man like this will only bring you doubt, pain, sorrow and confussion. Don't ever compromise your identity...

a drunk unless rehabilitated, will always bring you down and all those around him...when he's sober he might be the sweetest guy, however, wouldn't be enough for me...the fact remains...when he's drunk he degrades you...personally, I wouldn't allow myself to be around a person like this or even acknowlege his phone calls...I'd get him out of my life but quick.

Old 06-05-2011, 07:16 AM

12,322 posts, read 17,137,000 times
Default How about some respect and chivalry..

One thing I was taught that I still remember from childhood...Never curse out a woman. Especially never get DRUNK and become abusive. Now I have had relationships where heated arguments took place..Never once did I-or even my partner become abusive. We are all human and lose our cool occasionally, but this guy has no respect for women, The booze just amplifies this. You deserve better.

Old 06-05-2011, 07:24 AM

2,412 posts, read 5,084,618 times
I take a harder line about this than the others. You simply dated this person. He calls you on weekends, probably after striking out at the bars and abuses you. You sound a little too compassionate about this. I'd change my phone number at the very least, or notify the authorities. His problem is NOT YOUR PROBLEM. HE is becoming YOUR problem. Don't get drawn in. He's only doing this because you're allowing him to, currently. I don't care that he's hurting, or down. You're not going to fix him. We alcoholics don't have relationships, we take hostages. My stepfather was always sorry the next day for what he did when he was drunk. He was sorry for 15+ years. Till we stopped dealing with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships