Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2011, 08:44 AM

1,791 posts, read 3,180,896 times

Advertisements

Does it really matter if someone lives 3 hours away or across the country? Once you are at the point in which you have to plan out a long weekend to visit, does it really matter how many miles the person is? Maybe financially it matters, because it is easier to drive to see someone than it is to fly. But as far as the relationship actually working out, I am not sure that it matters.

The reason i am thinking of this is because i just started talking to a very nice girl who unfortunately lives in California. I live in PA. I know there is probably a .0001% chance of things actually working out. But one time, i tried dating a girl from Maryland for a couple months, and it was a disaster. It is just so hard to be happy when you cannot see the person regularly. I am not sure I could do a long distance relationship beyond an hour and a half or so, regardless of whether it was a 3 hour drive or a 6 hour plane ride.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2011, 08:48 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times
Mrmmm...

Even across town can be a PITA if you are both really busy.

I don't think there are any hard and fast rules; however, it's obviously going to be a lot harder, especially since y'all will probably always be on your best behavior when you DO hang out, and you'll have a hard time really getting to know each other.

Old 06-09-2011, 08:51 AM

5,987 posts, read 10,469,507 times
Long distance relationships are difficult, at best. I've done several, and while I don't regret them, I hope I never have to do one again. I'd only consider one if there was a real possibility that one of us could eventually (not too distant future) move so we'd be together, otherwise, what's the point?

One of my best long distance relationships was 8000 miles, but it didn't work out. The one that eventually did work out and has endured, was only a two hour drive - and yes, eventually I relocated, and yes, it was worth it. We were able to see each other regularly in that one.

Old 06-09-2011, 09:05 AM

1,133 posts, read 2,283,158 times
General rule of thumb for long-distance means in a different city or if you two live more than an hour away from each other.

I've done several LDRs. Longest was Beijing to Boston... complete reverse days. Shortest was a little more than an hour away. Neither of them worked out.

Like Taoist says, the only way LDRs work is if you both see an end in sight.

Old 06-09-2011, 09:10 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,727,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpfan921 View Post
Does it really matter if someone lives 3 hours away or across the country? Once you are at the point in which you have to plan out a long weekend to visit, does it really matter how many miles the person is? Maybe financially it matters, because it is easier to drive to see someone than it is to fly. But as far as the relationship actually working out, I am not sure that it matters.

The reason i am thinking of this is because i just started talking to a very nice girl who unfortunately lives in California. I live in PA. I know there is probably a .0001% chance of things actually working out. But one time, i tried dating a girl from Maryland for a couple months, and it was a disaster. It is just so hard to be happy when you cannot see the person regularly. I am not sure I could do a long distance relationship beyond an hour and a half or so, regardless of whether it was a 3 hour drive or a 6 hour plane ride.
no, it's not a problem at all. My girlfriend lives on the moon and we get along great.

Old 06-09-2011, 10:14 AM

1,791 posts, read 3,180,896 times
Hmm yes this makes a lot of sense. I could see it working if it is temporary. If neither person plans is willing or in a financial position to move in the foreseeable future, you are right, there isn't really a point.

Old 06-09-2011, 11:08 AM

7,915 posts, read 18,622,146 times
It could work but one of the biggest difficulties is that in order to really know if you're right for each other it's a necessity to spend quite a bit of time together which means a great deal of traveling and if both people have jobs it's likely that the visits wouldn't be that long. In the end someone is going to have to move of course which could mean finding a new job and all of those other things that need to be done when you relocate. If I did ever meet someone a long distance from where I lived I do know that I'd find a way to make it happen if it felt right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships