Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2011, 01:19 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,931,772 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islam-light View Post
May God s peace and blessings be upon you !

Hey everyone !

What would you do if you had to choose between your studies /work and the one you love and asked you to get married ?
I'd do both
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2011, 01:46 AM

3,993 posts, read 8,926,902 times
If you truly love them, then they should have priority oner anything else in your life.

That said, the same should go the other way.
How your actions affect your partner should be your first consideration.

If the marriage is ever to be a success, then you will need to be fluent in the language of compromise. If you can't work together for the common goal, then you are doomed.

I believe should that situation arise in my current relationship, we would discuss it fully, and reach a mutually agreeable conclusion.
We both may need to adjust our plans slightly, or one of us may feel the other has a stronger case to argue, and adjust our aims to suit.

I can't help but notice that you have "Islam" featuring strongly in your username. Are there any specific requirements in your religion which would require you to relinquish some independence ?
I am aware that in some cultures, the role of women is much different.

Old 06-14-2011, 01:54 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,877,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Islam-light View Post
Oh you are a man and I am a woman ! dont know if that might make any difference !
I'm a woman and I don't see why I would ever be put in a situation where I had to make that choice. There's no reason a person can't be married and be going to school or working at the same time - and if I was with someone who forced me to choose, it would be an easy choice because I would never spend my life with someone who put me in that situation.

Quote:
but I actually did the same thing as you suggested ! the guy said he can afford all I may need but I couldnt give up further sudies and work !I felt like there would come a day sooner or later when I shall see him as the one who stole my dreams and killed my ambitions and my father told me that I am free to accept and to follow my heart but he said that his wider experience and riper wisdom taught him that the head is over the heart ! hope I shall not regret it !
Peace and love ! Salam
I'm glad you made the choice you did and I don't think you'll regret it.

Old 06-14-2011, 05:05 AM

69 posts, read 112,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the-writer-guy View Post
Many women get married, but still study, get educated, and have great careers. Why would you have to stop studying simply because you get married?
Exactly !
I am 20 and I have been so far the best student in my promotion at university and I will have the chance to study abroad , I mean to further my studes ( the university shall give me a scholarship to study in USA )
and I cant give this up !
I think I shall manage both !
Thanks for sharing your view !
God bless you

Old 06-14-2011, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
I'm a woman and I don't see why I would ever be put in a situation where I had to make that choice. There's no reason a person can't be married and be going to school or working at the same time - and if I was with someone who forced me to choose, it would be an easy choice because I would never spend my life with someone who put me in that situation.

I'm glad you made the choice you did and I don't think you'll regret it.

Thanks sister for your supporting words !
Well the guy didnt force me at all !
He said he can afford all I may need !
But as you said I think that my studies and work will help both of usespecially in this age where life is getting more and more expensive !
God bless you sister !

Old 06-14-2011, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobman View Post
If you truly love them, then they should have priority oner anything else in your life.

I should admit thats true !

That said, the same should go the other way.
How your actions affect your partner should be your first consideration.

Certainly !

If the marriage is ever to be a success, then you will need to be fluent in the language of compromise. If you can't work together for the common goal, then you are doomed.

Yeah I fully agree with you !

I believe should that situation arise in my current relationship, we would discuss it fully, and reach a mutually agreeable conclusion.
We both may need to adjust our plans slightly, or one of us may feel the other has a stronger case to argue, and adjust our aims to suit.

Well the guy s intention is so good !
He said he can afford all and there is no need for me to tire myself
and he wants me to devote all my time for him and our future kids !
But I still want to be productive in society ! and honestly to help my parents who did all for me to study , I think it would be ungrateful not to give them anything back after all they sacrificed for my sake !

I can't help but notice that you have "Islam" featuring strongly in your username. Are there any specific requirements in your religion which would require you to relinquish some independence ?
I am aware that in some cultures, the role of women is much different.
Yeah I am Muslim , but Islam doesnt oblige women to stop studying or not to work !
History bears witness that there were many muslim women who were successfull as mothers and wives and who were at the same time scholars even !
In my religion , marriage is not legal if the woman is forced to accept !
And that guy didnt force me to accept his conditions !
We discussed and he said he would be happy if I accepted .

Yeah we as , Arabs have a culture different from that of Europeans or Americans !
Some women have a tendency to stay at home after marriage but not all of them !

I appreciate so much your post and respect your opinion !
Thanks for taking the pain of answering my question !
God bless you

Old 06-14-2011, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince_Frog View Post
I've never heard of this coming up unless there are other problems associated with it, like pregnancy.

Anyhow, I would ask to wait for marriage until I graduate at least. There's nothing wrong with waiting a bit longer to be married if both are in love.

But I don't know everything. I know a guy who gave up going to a prestigious university for a woman and marriage, so what do I know?

Oh I think that to graduate and not to work after that will be so bitter !
I just cant allow all the years of my life I spent in studying go in vain !

Oh I cant do what that guy did !
would you do it yourself?

God bless you

Old 06-14-2011, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
I'd rather get 32 root canals without Novocaine then to get married again.

Oh I can see that you had a bad experience , n your marriage was not successful !
Oh I always tell my family and friends that if ever my marriage turned to be a failure I would be mad !
Why wont you give it another try ?
Are you afraid of failing again?
Best
wishes !
God bless you !

Old 06-14-2011, 05:52 AM

Many thanks to all of you for answering my question and sharing your views !

May God bless all of you !

Best regards !

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships