Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: American women Vs. European women
American Women 26 29.89%
European Women 61 70.11%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 07:34 AM

95 posts, read 161,004 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-boy-80 View Post
And what about the women in Russia or the Ukraine? If they see you driving a porsche, they will probably look and then turn around and say its too cheap for them? Not every European woman is better than an American woman. And while you do find a lot of plastics here. The same can be said about Europe, depending on where you are. I think in the UK the people dislike it when the rich show off. Does that stop the rich from driving around in ferraris? Nope. But the point still stands that there are plenty of plastics worldwide. But I find that American women are much more laid back than a Ukrainian/Russian/German. I could fall in love with a European women, yes, but I prefer American women they are near by. And I know what they are like.
It's not we dislike it when the rich show off, we don't like it when anyone shows off. We are quite a reserved bunch still, we don't feel the need to brag, show off bling or talk about how much we made last year.

Now you mention Paris, I'll give you an example. My American girlfriend was very intimidated by the idea of going there, because the media tells you that it's the fashion capital and therefore, must have a degree of plasticity. Wrong - of course there are snobby rich women there, but most use fashion as a way of expressing themselves, rather than going for designer labels and the "look at me, I'm rich!" look. We saw women dressed in vintage clothing, bizarre clothing and regular street fashion, but thankfully no flip flops.

American women more laid back? In some ways, yes, but not when it comes to the bread and butter of day to day living, when most American women (and men) seem to eventually fall into the limited number of stereotypes that exist here. It's definitely harder to be an "outside the box" type person here than it is say in the UK, but people here definitely work harder because they have to.

BTW, I never said European women were "better". I'm merely pointing out some obvious cultural differences, adding a bit of history to it as a partial explanation and giving my own opinion, as Johnny Foreigner, trying to figure it all out still, after almost 2 decades.

Old 06-16-2011, 08:45 AM

20,728 posts, read 19,377,191 times
The way I see it, its about the fat, sweats and flip flops. When we were getting news from Japan, it was not too pretty obvious what the problem is here.

Old 06-16-2011, 09:11 AM

20,728 posts, read 19,377,191 times
In defense of American women with regards to materialism, there is more at stake. The European social safety net does make a European more care free. They will have health care, compensation long after a lay off and so on. An American woman likely sees poverty as a greater threat than her European counterpart. I had an Italian boss who said as much. Americans are under far more stress because of this.

Old 06-16-2011, 09:36 AM

6,548 posts, read 7,282,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boodhabunny View Post
It sounds like you and many other men here carry a deep resentment at the idea of women having equal rights under the law.

In the eyes of many men here on CD, it seems like all of our faults and flaws stem from having equal rights. If we are materialistic, it must be due to having equal rights. If we act like entitled princesses, it's because we have equal rights. If we are not happy and shiny flowers 24 hours a day, it's because of those darn equal rights!
I don’t think it has to do anything with equal rights. Maybe just how people are raised in different parts of the world. Some guys enjoy being the ones who do all those thing western women seem to like: men taking the initiative, romancing you, over spending on you, sending you flowers, buying you cars, taking you around the world, buying you jewelry, etc. Then you’ll have some guys who like girls that do those things as well rather than just being and acting cute.

European, American, Latin, Asian, Middle Eastern, etc. will have certain differences. Doesn’t make anybody better/worse than the other, just different. Hey! I happen to like Asians for reasons already mentioned but I would still date other races and enjoy our time.

Old 06-16-2011, 09:43 AM

95 posts, read 161,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
In defense of American women with regards to materialism, there is more at stake. The European social safety net does make a European more care free. They will have health care, compensation long after a lay off and so on. An American woman likely sees poverty as a greater threat than her European counterpart. I had an Italian boss who said as much. Americans are under far more stress because of this.
Very true!

Old 06-16-2011, 10:15 AM

1,446 posts, read 3,552,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djuna View Post
You may not think you're a women hater but you sure do sound bitter.

I wonder why men who complain incessantly about women are the very ones who seldom find a great partner in life

Actually he just gave a good case of cause and effect.

Old 06-16-2011, 10:43 AM

19,654 posts, read 12,244,081 times
Quote:
Yes, Europeans have a different type of entitlement but there are strings attached. It leads to a different mentality and women who have no safety net as in the US, do have a lot more worry of poverty and homelessnes if something should go wrong. This goes for men as well but a homeless woman is in for major trouble.

Old 06-16-2011, 06:44 PM

2,794 posts, read 3,679,282 times
Has anyone else noticed that many foreign women seem to be more feminine, with or without a dress?

Old 06-16-2011, 07:16 PM

5,648 posts, read 8,060,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielpalos View Post
Has anyone else noticed that many foreign women seem to be more feminine, with or without a dress?
Definitely.

Old 06-16-2011, 08:06 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,203,498 times
Quote:
Hey you.

Any how, sure, I imagine you're correct. I haven't read the thread, so I'm not sure where the complaining hones in, but lolly gagging about for an American woman with bills to pay isn't going to fly.

I hope and figure you and the babies are doing super!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.