Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: American women Vs. European women
American Women 26 29.89%
European Women 61 70.11%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2011, 11:09 AM

339 posts, read 837,508 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
I think this whole thread is rubbish - honestly. I think the same about all threads that try to stereotype an entire gender, race, or any group of people. I'm an American woman.
I stopped reading here. LOL

Old 06-24-2011, 11:18 AM

19,688 posts, read 12,270,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
This post supports my previous post several pages ago. The status of possessions is very important for social status. America is a capitalistic, materialistic society. The women (and men) are the product of the society in which they are raised and live.
It's worse in poorer countries. Years ago when we were donating clothing to poor people in rural Eastern Europe they only wanted designer labels. I was told they laughed and cursed at many of the donated items. I thought they might have sold any designer clothing but they also could keep them as a status symbol. So much for those poor farmers in rags.

I also have noticed very poor people in the Caribbean wearing a lot of heavy gold jewelry.

What makes these examples worse than in the US is that these people really are poor so why are they being so frivolous?

I feel regardless of culture, greed and lust for status and power and oneupmanship is universal.

Old 06-24-2011, 11:20 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,194,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilgamesh8 View Post
I stopped reading here. LOL
I should have stopped reading after I posted that - but what can I say? I'm a glutton for punishment!

Old 06-24-2011, 11:23 AM

2,412 posts, read 5,087,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Materialistic...
I have seen most married European women who have a gold ring on their finger. Some have small diamonds.
Don't American women want an expensive rock that cost the husband 2 years of wages? Wouldn't most married American women want to show their female friends the fabulous ring? Wouldn't many feel ashamed if they only had a gold ring?
The Kardasians are not typical American Women. Thank god we don't have to sell our women into marriage for a portion of land, some Hummels and a few goats ,huh?

Old 06-24-2011, 11:57 AM

20,730 posts, read 19,392,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
It's worse in poorer countries. Years ago when we were donating clothing to poor people in rural Eastern Europe they only wanted designer labels. I was told they laughed and cursed at many of the donated items. I thought they might have sold any designer clothing but they also could keep them as a status symbol. So much for those poor farmers in rags.

I also have noticed very poor people in the Caribbean wearing a lot of heavy gold jewelry.
What makes these examples worse than in the US is that these people really are poor so why are they being so frivolous?

Hi tamajane,

That is because they could make their own and look no worse. They also know that that clothing will keep them poor. In some parts of the world, that is where status is determined. A phrase in business is "if you want to be successful, look successful". Not much different than how we look at rust on a car. We are in our cars more often and it represents real purchasing power. Anyone can spend money on clothes here. Its not a relevant battle field. Its like determining socio-economic class with bubble gum.

Quote:
I feel regardless of culture, greed and lust for status and power and oneupmanship is universal.

No doubt on your last sentence, but that little bit of a morsel and mud brick hovel meant life or death once. Status often got them.

When women look attractive and well dressed, there is real status.
When men have assets, likewise. However the problem is when women try to sell male status symbols to men. Interested in a poor man who spends an hour a day doing his hair? That is what women look like when they try seductions with power plays as is so often done here. Driving a Mercedes to the yacht club will still put a man somewhere in the market. Same thing with anti-social gym rats mystified that still can't get a date. That's whats broke here . Now as much as one may view this a nothing but a shallow exchange, what if he is also a really great guy? Also, while beauty alone may be lead to heart break, what if she is also easy going and rather nice? Sort of the jack pot I'd say in both cases.

Old 06-24-2011, 02:43 PM

2,788 posts, read 5,096,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by underthesun7 View Post
Let's get one thing straight right off the bat, I am not writing this thread to open discussion to childish banter regarding gender differences. What I am doing is trying to see how many men have the same views as me, and if they would be willing to participate in a future project. I understand that America has some great women, and not all Women fit into the information below. However, there is a social trend that is ever increasing, and one incident for a "great" women does not make up for the 1000 who aren't so great.

I am 26 years old and fortunately have been lucky enough to have had the opportunity to travel the world since I was 17. It started when I signed with Wilhelmina and was required to travel to different modeling markets. It opened me up to many different cultures. At first I was too young to really understand the social differences, however, as my experiences grew both here and far I began to take notice big time.

Regardless of what women believe, here in the west we are having a huge social problem. Men and women, especially women, do not seem to understand what they want. They seem to juggle between different identities hoping to have it all, or maybe none.

At 26, about to graduate from a major University with a B.S in Computer Science, good looking, nice and caring, yet I still have problems finding a Women for a serious relationship here in the States. This is something my European friends said would never happen there.

Are European Women easier to approach?
At first I thought the sparks that constantly flew between me and European women were just due to the travel experience. Then I came to notice that even when I met students studying overseas from Europe that the spark was still there. When I approach European women, they are so much more inviting. They expect you to initiate, however, it is not like walking up to a wall of ice and having to chisel your way through to see what’s on the other side. I have noticed American women tend to be extremely distant.

Dating norms, so we want to be equal yet these remain?
Why am I still forced to pay for the dinner of a woman who constantly reminds me of her independent status? We are so confused on what to do when it comes to dating, we lose concentration of what’s most important, a connection. With European Women, the rules tend to be more set in stone. I feel like I am actually getting to know someone, rather than the feeling that I am making a business deal.

Materialistic, vapid, and misandrist attitudes. I cannot get over how materialistic and vapid American women can be. When it comes to music, TV, movies, and consumer consumption this becomes so evident. Most malls are dedicated to women. Macy's and Bloomingdale's often have levels dedicated to just women. The music industry’s most vapid and fake artists such as Britney Spears, Justin Beiber(teens I know), Keysha, all cater to the female market. The Hollywood industry is filled with Misandry. Movies depict male bashing and violence towards men as a joke. If these were switched and the same depicted towards women there would be uproar. I remember when I was a kid and watching Lorena Bobbitt on a talk show on CBS laughing about cutting her husband’s penis off. All the women in the crowd were laughing. If a man who has been hurt by a women and decides to cut off her clitoris, would he be on a talk show laughing about it?

The Divorce and Child custody laws here in the States are extremely bias, and so is the attitude of the women regarding them. This makes marriage look extremely unattractive.

Guys, with all these things in mind, would you rather meet a European Women over an American?

If there was an organization providing a system where you could meet college educated, sincere European Women would you take part in it for a small fee?

Wow your a.... Narcissistic..
I wonder do you have any positove women in your life? Probably not

Old 06-24-2011, 09:41 PM

252 posts, read 556,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepgirl27 View Post
Wow your a.... Narcissistic..
I wonder do you have any positove women in your life? Probably not
No I am not narcissistic, and yes I have some beautiful friendships with women overseas. Real women.

Old 06-24-2011, 09:48 PM

48,563 posts, read 34,941,456 times
Quote:
No I am not narcissistic, and yes I have some beautiful friendships with women overseas. Real women.
Everyone seems better from very, very, far away.

Old 06-24-2011, 09:56 PM

252 posts, read 556,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Everyone seems better from very, very, far away.
Except I lived there for some time and have been so very, very close.

Old 06-24-2011, 10:02 PM

4,721 posts, read 5,318,585 times
Quote:
Except I lived there for some time and have been so very, very close.

It is really very, very late. Why don't you go to sleep and quit trying to stir up all the women? Tomorrow is another day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.