Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do leagues exist
Yes 28 73.68%
No 10 26.32%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2011, 04:02 PM

5,779 posts, read 14,577,035 times

Advertisements

Its a flat out yes or no question. There either are leagues or there are not. I believe there are leagues because I am quite unattractive myself, and have consistently had bad luck when it comes to seeking the woman I desire

Granted, I broke the rules by getting into a relationship with a girl who is FAR MORE attractive than I am

Do leagues exist?

Should attractive people only date attractive people, and should the ugly stick with their own as well?

Examples:"You can't ask her out dude, she is way out of your league"

"Eww I wont go out with THAT THING, I'm like totally out of his league"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2011, 04:04 PM

406 posts, read 580,675 times
While there are exceptions, leagues do exist. Most couples are pretty close in terms of attractiveness, the most attractive women are rarely going to be with someone of average salary and looks, couples also are usually pretty similar in terms of social status. You won't find a guy with low status dating the hottest woman.

Old 06-25-2011, 04:16 PM

1,196 posts, read 1,805,170 times
Leagues can change depend on your professional career (Income), goals, and personality. Also, what one finds physically attractive may leave other person going, "meh".

Old 06-25-2011, 04:23 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,474,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaolin070388 View Post
While there are exceptions, leagues do exist. Most couples are pretty close in terms of attractiveness, the most attractive women are rarely going to be with someone of average salary and looks, couples also are usually pretty similar in terms of social status. You won't find a guy with low status dating the hottest woman.
Agreed. And as noted, there are always exceptions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpacker View Post
Leagues can change depend on your professional career (Income), goals, and personality. Also, what one finds physically attractive may leave other person going, "meh".
Or gag...

Old 06-25-2011, 05:06 PM

4,837 posts, read 8,855,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpacker View Post
It's relatively rare for income and profession to move a man up appreciably in the leagues. These things take time and his "other attributes" - the ones women weren't impressed with in HS and college, only get worse with time. All too soon, he's usually too old to fish in the waters where they weren't nibbling a decade earlier. Meanwhile, the women his age who refuse to settle, still consider him to be not good enough.

In contrast, when women are impressed with a guy's "other attributes" and are willing to give him time to produce on the rest of the package, he better deliver or divorce is in the offing. It is often surprising how much, so many women are willing to take on faith, when they are able to attract a good looking guy. In the past, there were lucrative opportunities in sales for these men but this is no longer a good bet.

Old 06-25-2011, 05:15 PM

92 posts, read 112,524 times
Default Of course they do...

not to say you can't break ranks successfully sometimes, but generally, people date others of similar attractiveness. There is a fairly normal distribution curve for this, so of course their are the extremes we could point to where a lesser-attractive male can get a hot chick or vice versa (surprising and rarer, but I have seen it...especially recently, but not sure if I'm just noticing it more or there is just more incidence of this where I live).

I think the leagues for looks is sort of like the leagues for ages. Usually, we end up with someone closer to our age over the long term, but there are also the extreme ends of the spectrum of younger women with older men (more common) or older women with younger men (becoming more common than in the past).

I don't think there is much to debate here. They exist, so what?

Old 06-25-2011, 05:20 PM

48,531 posts, read 34,851,331 times
Well yes, to some extent. If you are unattractive (physically), working in retail, have a reserved personality, have no hobbies/passions and are looking to date an attractive, well employed, outgoing, person with many interests then yeah, you are out of your league.

But in general I would say no. Many positives traits can make up for other areas where you may be lacking.

Old 06-25-2011, 05:52 PM

12,671 posts, read 23,808,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Well yes, to some extent. If you are unattractive (physically), working in retail, have a reserved personality, have no hobbies/passions and are looking to date an attractive, well employed, outgoing, person with many interests then yeah, you are out of your league.

But in general I would say no. Many positives traits can make up for other areas where you may be lacking.
Working in retail requires you to have a outgoing personality. Well employed? What does that mean?

Whats wrong with working in retails? A lot of those folks love those jobs and make a very good salary, some into 6 figures.

Old 06-25-2011, 07:28 PM

18,270 posts, read 14,431,077 times
Maybe. There are of course, finances to think about, and looks. Also social stature. So maybe there are leagues and also rules. But it depends on what that person is about and if they value those things, and which they value the most. There are people who don't run in packs and could care less about getting a mate that fits in, but as always, there are those who do. It's a lot like high school in some aspects.

Old 06-25-2011, 07:31 PM

1,300 posts, read 2,572,229 times
"Leagues" are just an excuse for insecure people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships